Honda HR-V Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Installed the components in the doors and dash today.
crappy stock speakers.

I decided to keep the original mount and just cut out the brackets and old speaker.

Biggest pain of the day was running the speaker wires into the door for the crossover. In hindsight I should have just put the crossovers behind the dash somewhere so I didn’t have to run wires though the door tube. Holy shit that sucked. Especially the drivers side.

Double sided taped the crossover to the body. Wires were too shot to go anywhere else.

FAD18679-6ED9-4A73-AC8A-FF295D2DCB55.jpeg

Attempted to install the power fold passenger mirror but the harness is different! 14 vs 18 pin. I guess because of the lane watch. I’ll need to find a matching plug for the mirror.

Passenger side had no issues

old switch, new switch. Notice the extra two pins for the fold button.
I had to run some new wires from the mirror to the switch.

Works beautifully
Tomorrow I install the rear door speakers. Already the sound quality is 1000 times better. The dash tweeters make a huge difference.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
No pictures but I finished the rear doors today. It’s sure a lot easier once you get the hang of it. So that’s it for a little while until my new steering wheel controller, auto window module or reverse cam comes in comes in. Still have to figure out how to wire the passenger side power fold mirror but I need to find the 18 pin male connector first.
Oh and I need to sew the leather steering wheel cover. Maybe when my hands recover from the weekend abuse and I have a lot more patience. Time for a beer

·
Registered
32 Posts
Excellent work! How did you attach the tweeters to the grill? Also, how do you like the sound with them up in the dash? I recently had a system installed in my 2019 HR-V and I have some old Hertz HSK-165 Hi-Energy comonents ran active off a JL 300/4 and the tweeters are just crazy bright and loud, the amp gain for the tweeters is pretty much all the way down. I wasn't sure if I should look into some different speakers, and I actually looked at those same Morel components, how do you like them? I just wish there was currently an Idatalink Maestro available for the 2019 and up Hondas, but there isn't, so for now I'll just have to wait, the stereo shop said there isn't currently any available steering wheel control kits that work with my car, and they had to hardwire the rear camera, but it looks terrible, I only have the fish eye view, and with my Kenwood DDX9906XR it looks worse than it did with the factory headunit.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Excellent work! How did you attach the tweeters to the grill? Also, how do you like the sound with them up in the dash? I recently had a system installed in my 2019 HR-V and I have some old Hertz HSK-165 Hi-Energy comonents ran active off a JL 300/4 and the tweeters are just crazy bright and loud, the amp gain for the tweeters is pretty much all the way down. I wasn't sure if I should look into some different speakers, and I actually looked at those same Morel components, how do you like them? I just wish there was currently an Idatalink Maestro available for the 2019 and up Hondas, but there isn't, so for now I'll just have to wait, the stereo shop said there isn't currently any available steering wheel control kits that work with my car, and they had to hardwire the rear camera, but it looks terrible, I only have the fish eye view, and with my Kenwood DDX9906XR it looks worse than it did with the factory headunit.
I didn’t have any stock tweeters under the grills but the mounting was there. I just had to cut it flat. It was the same diameter as the morel tweeter. I ended up using electrical tape around the tweeter and plastic. It’s actually quite solid.
they sound great in the dash although the sound is a little more front than I would like. I haven’t adjusted any sound settings yet but I’ll likely fade it to the rear a little bit. The Morels are really good all purpose speakers since I wasn’t adding an amp or sub woofer. pretty decent base.
it is possible to change the mode from fish eye on the stock cam. You just need to put 6v to the correct pins. There is another thread on here about it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I installed the Parkmate reverse camera today and I have to say I’m not impressed. It does look better than the stock cam but not by much. the main reason I swapped the camera was for low light visibility and this one is also shit. I also have one coming from AliExpress which will likely be much better. When it arrives I’ll use this one for lanewatch.
Had to take the whole back plastic off which is quite easy. Everything snaps on. Athough I usually break a plug or two when doing it.

I decided to reuse the stock wiring and connector to keep it simple. I just swapped the power going to the camera to 12v instead of 6v that the stock cam uses. Old camera comes off the mount.

Image is quite pixelated and washed out. It’s an improvement but not much. The AliExpress camera I bought for my BMW was heaps better and had IR night vision. Just tried this one out at night and it was just a washed out pixelated mess.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Have you upgraded your backup lights to LEDs? That might be all you need vs. the camera swap if your concern is under low light conditions.

·
Registered
HR-V Black Edition 2018
16 Posts
Did you try to configure normal view on original rear cam before to change ?
It seems that you made a good job on your HRV !
regards

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
48 Posts
Have you upgraded your backup lights to LEDs? That might be all you need vs. the camera swap if your concern is under low light conditions.
I have recently done this after upgrading my DRL's and indicators to LED.

The difference is quite literally night and day. This was taken at 2300;

·
Registered
48 Posts
That’s awesome. Can’t wait to get mine. Where did you get the signal leds?
I bought them from a UK company (link in the description). They were also the source for the DRL and reversing light LED's, and they are all plug and play. Unfortunately, unlike you, my electrical expertise runs out after wiring a 3 pin plug;

·
Registered
48 Posts
A couple of projects for the weekend
Wow, not only is he a Grammy Award winner, he's also an auto electrician!

Is there no end to The Weekends talents.......

PS Just in case it saves you (and apparently The Weedend) a whole load of hassle, I'm pretty certain I can watch videos from my thumbdrive whilst the vehicle is in motion. Not that I would......

·
Registered
260 Posts
Wow, not only is he a Grammy Award winner, he's also an auto electrician!

Is there no end to The Weekends talents.......

PS Just in case it saves you (and apparently The Weedend) a whole load of hassle, I'm pretty certain I can watch videos from my thumbdrive whilst the vehicle is in motion. Not that I would......
Does this bypass allow you to change navigation while driving too ? (manually not verbally)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Does this bypass allow you to change navigation while driving too ? (manually not verbally)

If this question is aimed at me, unfortunately the Garmin satnav did not become standard on my vehicle (along with reversing camera, LED Headlights, DRL's and indicators) until the 2019 refresh.

I use Sygic satnav on my S9 for short to medium journeys, and a TomTom VIA 53 for long or multiple stop journeys, mounted via a a CD Slot Mount.

Regards,

HT

41 - 60 of 64 Posts