Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My test drive of the HRV:

I loved it. I drove the EX-L It’s much bigger than I thought or at least seems so. The drive is smooth and the ride is much nicer than my 09 Fit. It did feel heavier and was not as peppy as my car but felt solid and safe. The acceleration was good although not as peppy as what I am in currently. The ride is better and smoother than my Fit and felt solid and comfortable.

I have driven manual transmissions forever and driving the CVT was an unexpected treat. Yes, there is engine noise when I pushed the peddle on the highway but it faded. I wondered if it was possible to run it in sport mode with eco-assist pushed in. It worked, although I think its somewhat of a contradiction.

I liked the paddle shifters, as they felt solid and responsive, not cheap. At the stop sign I forgot to downshift and found it was done automatically. The paddle shifters gave me the connection I feel with a stick. I didn’t push it far and am not sure if it automatically shifts at higher rpms. Final thoughts on the drive; the HRV felt solid, comfortably, a bit heavy, probably because I have been driving a fit for the last 7 years and before that a 94 Civic SI.

Interior: Better than I thought. I was uncertain how I would feel about a dash without buttons but it was nice and has a good look to it. I like the instrument panel and have no qualms with the green eco light. The flat panel infotainment worked quickly and seemed easy to operate. It’s difficult to get a true feel for it in 15 minutes but with the steering wheel controls it looks possible to do what needs to be done without taking your hands off the wheel. The climate controls are a simple set it and forget it. It’s better in person than what the photos present.

I think Honda has a winner with the HRV. Beside the great interior room and versatility it gets great mpg and is a very good looking car. It has what I have been missing in the Fit, clearance and supposedly better mpg than the 09 Fit. It has the feels of an expensive SUV.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I agree with it seeming bigger than I expected, lots of room even for us tall folks.

My test drive of the HRV:

I loved it. I drove the EX-L It’s much bigger than I thought or at least seems so. The drive is smooth and the ride is much nicer than my 09 Fit. It did feel heavier and was not as peppy as my car but felt solid and safe. The acceleration was good although not as peppy as what I am in currently. The ride is better and smoother than my Fit and felt solid and comfortable.

I have driven manual transmissions forever and driving the CVT was an unexpected treat. Yes, there is engine noise when I pushed the peddle on the highway but it faded. I wondered if it was possible to run it in sport mode with eco-assist pushed in. It worked, although I think its somewhat of a contradiction.

I liked the paddle shifters, as they felt solid and responsive, not cheap. At the stop sign I forgot to downshift and found it was done automatically. The paddle shifters gave me the connection I feel with a stick. I didn’t push it far and am not sure if it automatically shifts at higher rpms. Final thoughts on the drive; the HRV felt solid, comfortably, a bit heavy, probably because I have been driving a fit for the last 7 years and before that a 94 Civic SI.

Interior: Better than I thought. I was uncertain how I would feel about a dash without buttons but it was nice and has a good look to it. I like the instrument panel and have no qualms with the green eco light. The flat panel infotainment worked quickly and seemed easy to operate. It’s difficult to get a true feel for it in 15 minutes but with the steering wheel controls it looks possible to do what needs to be done without taking your hands off the wheel. The climate controls are a simple set it and forget it. It’s better in person than what the photos present.

I think Honda has a winner with the HRV. Beside the great interior room and versatility it gets great mpg and is a very good looking car. It has what I have been missing in the Fit, clearance and supposedly better mpg than the 09 Fit. It has the feels of an expensive SUV.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks like I won't be buying an HRV. I have been following the HRV from concept to reality. I am so disappointed its so big.

I really thought the HRV was going to be a little bigger than the fit with more clearance. It's not. Its big.

I do think its a great automobile. I loved the test drive but it just doesn't work for me and I don't want to take on additional debt for something that I don't feel 100% about. I wish I could get 2 more inches of clearance on my Fit. The good news it the new Fits are nice and their creature comforts are much nicer than my 09 model.

All in all its probably better I don't buy now. For those of you interested, I don't think your making a bad purchase. It's a beautiful automobile and it felt great to drive. I prefer zippy.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
It's too big? :nerd:

Not sure I have heard one say that yet as a number of people have complained it's too small and they thought it would have been bigger. ;)

It looks like I won't be buying an HRV. I have been following the HRV from concept to reality. I am so disappointed its so big.

I really thought the HRV was going to be a little bigger than the fit with more clearance. It's not. Its big.

I do think its a great automobile. I loved the test drive but it just doesn't work for me and I don't want to take on additional debt for something that I don't feel 100% about. I wish I could get 2 more inches of clearance on my Fit. The good news it the new Fits are nice and their creature comforts are much nicer than my 09 model.

All in all its probably better I don't buy now. For those of you interested, I don't think your making a bad purchase. It's a beautiful automobile and it felt great to drive. I prefer zippy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's too big? :nerd:

Not sure I have heard one say that yet as a number of people have complained it's too small and they thought it would have been bigger. ;)
I am sure that's true. I have been driving super small cars most of my life. You get used to it. My perception of big is probably skewed.

For me I am looking for a very small vehicle with a minimum of a 5" clearance. The Fit works great because of the versatility. For camping its wonderful, for small catering jobs too. When I am driving down a one lane, rutted, dirt road in the middle of nowhere I start thinking about clearance. There are many a dirt road I can't go down.

The car is easy to load and its unbelievable how much stuff I put in it. Plus I can sleep in it if needed, (not comfortable ). It excells on the highway where it gets great mpg and flys with ease down the road and its peppy.
How do I tell Honda this is what I want?:eek:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for posting this info. I've also been in an '09 Fit and looking into the HRV, actually for a bit more of that space to haul "stuff". I was considering waiting for 2WD to be available in the mid-Atlantic region where practically everything that was received has been AWD. Second thinking that now after considering the benefits of the AWD, particularly with our unpredictable winters here and my commute.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.