Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using this site quite a bit recently and thought I would share it with the group. It's called the "Long Term Quality Index" and it's an independent site that looks at car reliability over the long haul. I've been using it to compare models and it's interesting to see what has more or less problems than average. I'm hopeful that the HR-V will be reliable as the Civic data they have (with the shared engine) is quite good.

Anyway, it's a good site and I recommend you check it out, I find the "Search" function the easiest way to use the site.

http://tradeinqualityindex.com/index.html

http://tradeinqualityindex.com/about.html (read this first)

·
Registered
751 Posts
Interesting site. Without a lot more reading than I have time for right now, hard to know how much credibility to give it, but certainly gives pause for thought. Some interesting anomalies, like the horrific rating for the CX-7, and missing CX-5 on the Mazda page.

So far, seems to bear out both my comfort with Honda and my worries about VW.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Interesting site to look through. Thanks for posting this up.

Nissan, Lexus, Honda and Acura seem to retain value the best, and that lines up with what I know generally about quality and long term values.

·
Registered
205 Posts
It's spot on about my experience with Saturn and what I was finding out about them when I was caught in the cost of repair exceeds value of car dilemma in college with it. It's been 10 years but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I always feel sorry for the few I still see on the road with dark blue-black smoke coming out the back, they don't know what's coming.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Growing up in the 70s and 80s, my father, who researched extensively on reliability of cars, always would tell me that the Japanese auto makers, such as Honda, Toyota, and Nissan, always tended to rank first, U.S. cars second, and VWs last lol.

I think things haven't changed much from that.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting site. Without a lot more reading than I have time for right now, hard to know how much credibility to give it, but certainly gives pause for thought. Some interesting anomalies, like the horrific rating for the CX-7, and missing CX-5 on the Mazda page.

So far, seems to bear out both my comfort with Honda and my worries about VW.
The site only looks at cars that are 5 or more years old, that's why the CX-5 isn't on there yet.

·
Registered
48 Posts
How is this data different than Consumer Reports? They are my usual go-to for these larger data sets about reliability. I'd be interested in how the data (and outcomes) are different.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think this is just another source of information. Apparently the site uses data from all over the country on cars that are traded in and they assess how many of them have problems through a dealership network.

One thing about Consumer Reports is that they only go back so far, where I think this site aims to continue reporting on cars even beyond the 10 years that Consumer Reports does. They also show each model and the % of problems and how it compares to average where Consumers is a little cryptic in their style (as in a car with 5% defect rate and 50% defect rate would both get a black circle, but you won't know which was which), where LTQI gives you those raw numbers.

I don't think one is better than another, I just think it's another resource to use in making a decision on a car purchase.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts