Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a shocking experience today that I thought I would share with the group concerning vehicle safety.

I was driving on a 2 lane road out in an agricultural area when Hyundai SUV about 3-4 cars in front of me flipped over and went into a water supply ditch. The ditch had steep sides and the roof was totally crushed so the car was wedged in the bottom of the ditch upside down and in about 1 foot of water. I jumped out with about 20 other people and a guy was able to pry a back door open and get the driver out of his seat because his head was underwater. However, by the time he was able to do so, I think they guy had been underwater for about 5 minutes. They ended up flying him out by helicopter and luckily there were some nurses who stopped at the accident as well, but when he left he wasn't breathing but did have a pulse.

Anyway, driving home after this really got me thinking about how we all need to slow down and pay attention to actually driving. It also got me thinking that car safety should be a higher priority for people when shopping for a car, a much higher priority, and car makers should worry less about comfort and convenience and more on making their cars safer. Too bad SAAB went bust, they were fanatical about this sort of thing. Also made me realize that he in-car distractions (like touch climate controls in the HR-V) really are a HORRIBLE idea, and so I'm really not inclined to be getting an EX over an LX now because of the safety compromise taken with "touch" controls.

I looked his car up on IIHS and it get's a "Good" rating for roof strength, and he wasn't crushed, but the car was crushed enough to make his head down go down into the water. If it had been just a little bit stronger and not collapsed an extra 4 inches, he would have been above the water when upside down in the ditch.

I don't know if he's going to make it or not, hopefully he does. But I know that I won't be buying any car that fails a crash test, and I'll be looking a roof strength much more closely now.

Again, just wanted to share this experience with the group because I think safety is often overlooked when buying a car and it really shouldn't be.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I had a shocking experience today that I thought I would share with the group concerning vehicle safety.

I was driving on a 2 lane road out in an agricultural area when Hyundai SUV about 3-4 cars in front of me flipped over and went into a water supply ditch. The ditch had steep sides and the roof was totally crushed so the car was wedged in the bottom of the ditch upside down and in about 1 foot of water. I jumped out with about 20 other people and a guy was able to pry a back door open and get the driver out of his seat because his head was underwater. However, by the time he was able to do so, I think they guy had been underwater for about 5 minutes. They ended up flying him out by helicopter and luckily there were some nurses who stopped at the accident as well, but when he left he wasn't breathing but did have a pulse.

Anyway, driving home after this really got me thinking about how we all need to slow down and pay attention to actually driving. It also got me thinking that car safety should be a higher priority for people when shopping for a car, a much higher priority, and car makers should worry less about comfort and convenience and more on making their cars safer. Too bad SAAB went bust, they were fanatical about this sort of thing. Also made me realize that he in-car distractions (like touch climate controls in the HR-V) really are a HORRIBLE idea, and so I'm really not inclined to be getting an EX over an LX now because of the safety compromise taken with "touch" controls.

I looked his car up on IIHS and it get's a "Good" rating for roof strength, and he wasn't crushed, but the car was crushed enough to make his head down go down into the water. If it had been just a little bit stronger and not collapsed an extra 4 inches, he would have been above the water when upside down in the ditch.

I don't know if he's going to make it or not, hopefully he does. But I know that I won't be buying any car that fails a crash test, and I'll be looking a roof strength much more closely now.

Again, just wanted to share this experience with the group because I think safety is often overlooked when buying a car and it really shouldn't be.
One of the benefits of a car like the HR-V compared to some of the bigger SUV's, less body roll.

Reminds me of a post I read earlier on the HR-V on the vtec site
superchg2 wrote:
Being in an under powered car sometimes does not allow one the flexibility to merge into high speed traffic.

I interpret comments like this as "I want to slam on the pedal and rocket into traffic as aggressively as possible, and this car doesn't allow me to do that".

I'm all for people having less power to drive like a$$holes.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Good points which is again why I'm jealous of the Canadian HR-V safety features.

Plus I am aggressively anti-******* driving despite living in the U.S. capital of said style.

·
Registered
205 Posts
A great reminder. A friend of mine was hit causing her car to roll a number of times and she walked away. Definitely made me think about the safety of my own car and encouraged my friends in 20+ year old cars to consider newer models that have at minimum more airbags. That Subaru commercial where the Outback is completely totaled on a flatbed tow truck where the driver shouts out the window to passers by, "They lived!" struck a chord. They may have oil consumption issues but if some a-hole decides to mow me over the bank on the freeway, I want to live.

·
Registered
402 Posts
One of the benefits of a car like the HR-V compared to some of the bigger SUV's, less body roll.

Reminds me of a post I read earlier on the HR-V on the vtec site
superchg2 wrote:
Being in an under powered car sometimes does not allow one the flexibility to merge into high speed traffic.

I interpret comments like this as "I want to slam on the pedal and rocket into traffic as aggressively as possible, and this car doesn't allow me to do that".

I'm all for people having less power to drive like a$$holes.
Wow, that's a little ruff. I suppose if you were to merge out in tight traffic by pulling out into the stream without first accelerating up to speed and forcing the traffic to slow or change lanes, that would clearly mark you as a superior human being.

Your twisting of his statement is itself twisted. If you can't make a case against what He actually said, but instead put words in his mouth to conclude he is an a hole, the problem is yours not his.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Wow, that's a little ruff. I suppose if you were to merge out in tight traffic by pulling out into the stream without first accelerating up to speed and forcing the traffic to slow or change lanes, that would clearly mark you as a superior human being.

Your twisting of his statement is itself twisted. If you can't make a case against what He actually said, but instead put words in his to conclude he is an a hole, the problem is yours not his.
Sorry, that wasn't my post in italics, but the one I read.
This thread is about safety, my point was the HR-V has less body roll which improves safety, and the point in that quote was that the HR-V does not have dangerous amounts of acceleration.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Sorry, that wasn't my post in italics, but the one I read.
This thread is about safety, my point was the HR-V has less body roll which improves safety, and the point in that quote was that the HR-V does not have dangerous amounts of acceleration.
For sure, I'm not a perfect driver. A time or 2 over the years, I have pulled out to pass a slower vehicle , pulled along side, only to see I have misjudged the speed of the oncoming traffic. Shame on me. I then pray for "dangerous amounts of acceleration".

A Hayabusa ridden by a 16 yr old may have dangerous amounts of acceleration. In the hands of a reasonably responsible adult, a little extra power for their SUV is just another layer of safety by providing another option in a tight situation. If you like underpowered cars that's fine, if a little strange .I loathe them.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I think the question here is whether you can get out of tight situations quickly with an HR-V.

Any HR-V owners want to weigh in here?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think the question here is whether you can get out of tight situations quickly with an HR-V.

Any HR-V owners want to weigh in here?
I'm a bigger guy, and if I was in a HR-V in this particular situation, I don't think they could have pulled me out in time as I wouldn't likely fit between the front seats with the roof crushed.

It really was just bad luck, he happened to flip over into the ditch, the ditch was just the right size to wedge the doors, there just happened to be enough water in the ditch (it was dry 2 days ago). Obviously every situation is different so who knows, but I just posted this to make sure that in all the talk about roof rails, radios, phone pairing, power seats, etc. etc., we shouldn't forget what's really important in a car. The HR-V has very good JNCAP results (well the Vezel does), so I expect the HR-V to score well, but it does make you think.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'm a bigger guy, and if I was in a HR-V in this particular situation, I don't think they could have pulled me out in time as I wouldn't likely fit between the front seats with the roof crushed.

It really was just bad luck, he happened to flip over into the ditch, the ditch was just the right size to wedge the doors, there just happened to be enough water in the ditch (it was dry 2 days ago). Obviously every situation is different so who knows, but I just posted this to make sure that in all the talk about roof rails, radios, phone pairing, power seats, etc. etc., we shouldn't forget what's really important in a car. The HR-V has very good JNCAP results (well the Vezel does), so I expect the HR-V to score well, but it does make you think.
Yeah. My cousin was killed by a semi tire that came off and bounced through his minivan's windshield. Crap happens, and sometimes no amount of safety features can prevent it. The good news is that cars are safer than a decade ago, and much safer than in the 70's when people just loaded their kids up in the cargo area of the station wagon.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah. My cousin was killed by a semi tire that came off and bounced through his minivan's windshield. Crap happens, and sometimes no amount of safety features can prevent it. The good news is that cars are safer than a decade ago, and much safer than in the 70's when people just loaded their kids up in the cargo area of the station wagon.
Absolutely, plenty of things can happen that are just not survivable. I'm just happy that, like you say, cars have come so far in such a short amount of time.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have been involved in three car wrecks where the car was totaled, and not totaled because damage was too expensive to fix, damage where car was unfixable in general! One rolled 2.5 times, one I was rear ended when stopped turning left on a highway and was hit by someone at a full 60mph. That flipped me over too and I was in a normal sedan in all my accidents. One more was head on. None my fault and I waled away from each one. Each car was so old there were not even airbags. I was not just hit, I was HIT in a couple of those.

Safety is a concern, but cars are so safe in general compared to what I was in in my accidents that there is no contest they are safer now. Crash tests are too "perfect" in testing and real world is so much different I can't put too much faith in the results, if I get hit by a semi I'm probably a goner no matter what.

I think the touchscreen controls are a godsend, has no one ever had automatic climate control before? You set it and forget it, there is no fiddling with controls as you are already comfortable all the time! My car has manual controls now, and I still have to look when adjusting, the knobs are all the same. You cannot tell by feel, when I try I hit the right knob the third time I try and mess more than I ever would if I just looked. Same with the stereo, you can controll everything from the steering wheel! Who needs to look at the screen? Play, pause, source, next track, radio presets, radio seek, volume and all right there, no need to touch at all.

If you are really worried get the EX-L and you can then do all by voice, volume and all is adjustable by talking to it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just a quick update, the local paper is reporting that the guy in the accident is in "critical" condition at the hospital. I really hope he makes it.
Let's hope so - I was thinking about your description of the accident. You made mention of the top looking caved in, but maybe that's the correct thing? They have found most cars need crumble zones to avoid other injuries (the force transfers to you instead of the car if it's too ridged) perhaps the bigger concern isn't the roof rating, but more of a question of what happened that he lost such bad control. Bad tires? No traction control? Poor brakes? Or just human error?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Most cars get pretty good safety ratings these days. Its more about avoiding the cars with terrible ratings than seeking out the really good ones.

The thing that scares me about driving safety is that you can't assume everyone else on the road is a good driver. Even if you do everything right, you can never be sure that some crazy person isn't going to do something reckless that causes an accident.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Most cars get pretty good safety ratings these days. Its more about avoiding the cars with terrible ratings than seeking out the really good ones.

The thing that scares me about driving safety is that you can't assume everyone else on the road is a good driver. Even if you do everything right, you can never be sure that some crazy person isn't going to do something reckless that causes an accident.
This is why I am looking into dash cams. Would love to see them as a factory option. Today a decent quality camera can be had for under $100.

One could be installed in the HRV easily with he wiring hidden and connected to the power in the lower console.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have been involved in three car wrecks where the car was totaled, and not totaled because damage was too expensive to fix, damage where car was unfixable in general! One rolled 2.5 times, one I was rear ended when stopped turning left on a highway and was hit by someone at a full 60mph. That flipped me over too and I was in a normal sedan in all my accidents. One more was head on. None my fault and I waled away from each one. Each car was so old there were not even airbags. I was not just hit, I was HIT in a couple of those.

Safety is a concern, but cars are so safe in general compared to what I was in in my accidents that there is no contest they are safer now. Crash tests are too "perfect" in testing and real world is so much different I can't put too much faith in the results, if I get hit by a semi I'm probably a goner no matter what.

I think the touchscreen controls are a godsend, has no one ever had automatic climate control before? You set it and forget it, there is no fiddling with controls as you are already comfortable all the time! My car has manual controls now, and I still have to look when adjusting, the knobs are all the same. You cannot tell by feel, when I try I hit the right knob the third time I try and mess more than I ever would if I just looked. Same with the stereo, you can controll everything from the steering wheel! Who needs to look at the screen? Play, pause, source, next track, radio presets, radio seek, volume and all right there, no need to touch at all.

If you are really worried get the EX-L and you can then do all by voice, volume and all is adjustable by talking to it.
Crash test are done at 40 miles per hour.So if you are driving at 60-65 miles per hour on highway, then the damage will be worse.

·
Registered
279 Posts
This is why I am looking into dash cams. Would love to see them as a factory option. Today a decent quality camera can be had for under $100.

One could be installed in the HRV easily with he wiring hidden and connected to the power in the lower console.

I have two dash cams in my daily driver, one front and one rear actually. I just installed the second one yesterday, new one up front and moved the old one to rear duty. I will be adding one to my HR-V here shortly too.

I was in my CR-V (just traded it for HR-V today) a week ago and two accidents in front of me while I was traveling out of town, and I mean directly in front of me. One the lady in a Tahoe was entering the freeway on a damp road, exit ramp is straight, my wife had just said I think the lady in front of us is going to be a bad merger when it looked like they floored the Tahoe and lost it, spun it one way, corrected and then slid clear across three lanes of freeway traffic backwards and hit the concrete divider hard. I have no clue what the heck she was doing to do this, and the guy coming along at 65 in the fast lane just barely missed hitting here, it was so close he stopped and checked his bumper for damage as he thought he hit her. I was so ticked I did not have a dash cam, and I learned my wife and predict the future!

I can direct you to dashcamtalk.com which is a great forum if you've not found it already, the new one I just installed was from a vendor on there with great support but is not the cheapest cam around. You can get basic cam for $50 to start with no problem.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts