Honda HR-V Forum banner

The Segment Lacks Definition..

6K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  TrueNorth 
#1 ·
Literally, there is no segment...

There's no official standard for what qualifies as a compact or subcompact SUV. The Environmental Protection Agency is responsible for defining car segments, but has yet to do that for SUVs or crossovers as the car-based utilities are often called. The new models are generally six to 20 inches smaller than vehicles like today's CR-V, Equinox and RAV4.
Kind of funny...

#9 · (Edited)
i think he might have been trying to get at vehicles that sort of sit between segments which could potentially be part of a whole new segment that other car makers get into.

but still, at the end of the day they need to know who they're targeting and for that clearly knowing what segment they're creating a vehicle for helps, they have to be speaking to the needs of some group of consumers.

#11 ·
Many segments are clearly defined, I was just saying that many new vehicles sit between segments or seem to be creating entirely new segments. While these are targeted towards someone, its sometimes hard to classify them as strictly this or that.

While auto makers may make cars targeting a specific person and thereby falling into a certain segment, people are just looking for a car that they like. They don't go out shopping for a A segment vehicle, they go out looking for a vehicle that fits their needs regardless of what segment its in.

#12 ·
Many segments are clearly defined, I was just saying that many new vehicles sit between segments or seem to be creating entirely new segments. While these are targeted towards someone, its sometimes hard to classify them as strictly this or that.

While auto makers may make cars targeting a specific person and thereby falling into a certain segment, people are just looking for a car that they like. They don't go out shopping for a A segment vehicle, they go out looking for a vehicle that fits their needs regardless of what segment its in.
I agree . Honda says the HR-V is a "segment buster" for a reason. It can't be neatly classified for one group of buyers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.