Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I had plans for a lengthy summer road trip this year. It’s always been on our to-do list, but we’ve kept making excuses, until this year we decided to take the plunge. She drives a Jeep Grand Cherokee - lovely vehicle. It’s comfortable, has cavernous storage space, and a ferocious all-wheel drive system. But it eats gas. My beloved 2012 Honda Accord EX-L V6 coupe is a fantastic machine. Fast, agile, surprisingly good storage, and at 202,000 miles still feels like the day I drove it off the lot. But living on the road for two weeks in a two-door car presents some logistical challenges.

Then, my Mom offered us the use of her 2021 Honda HR-V AWD (EX-L). She’s owned it for a year and has about 1,000 miles on it. After discussing it, we took her up on her generous offer… and so here is Part I of our drive:

Left New Jersey and crossed into Pennsylvania:

A few hours later, Ohio was next:

Stopped for dinner in Port Clinton, OH, and then swung by the historic Port Clinton Lighthouse:

Entered Indiana the next morning:

Made a detour to Indiana Dunes National Park for a picnic lunch and some hiking:

The view from the top of the dunes was fantastic:

Next was Illinois. Fun fact - unless we missed it, I-80 welcomes you to Chicago, not to the state:

Next up: Wisconsin!

Stopped for dinner in Madison, and stayed the night:

Got up early the next day to drive out to The House on the Rock in Spring Green, WI;

One of the most bizarre, fascinating places I’ve ever seen:

The house features a 200-foot long cantilevered room that juts out high above the surrounding forest. And yes, I’m afraid of heights:

We’re staying in the Twin Cities area for a few days before beginning the next leg of our trip:

The HR-V has been fantastic - terrific at the pump, capable of handling all of our cargo, comfortable, and fun to drive. It certainly doesn’t pack the same power as my Accord or my wife’s Jeep, but poke it with a stick and it will hustle enough that it doesn’t feel unduly slow. We started the trip with 1,075 miles on the odometer - it’s at 2,600 now. My only gripe is the dipstick - it’s taking me a little while to get accustomed to reading the oil on the plastic dipstick. Other than that, though, the HR-V has been flawless.

Part II soon…

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
1,302 Posts
Wife and I love our Roadtrips, this is the one we did within 3 months of first going out in 2008.
Azure Map World Water Line

The mindset was if she could put up with me during this, then she's a keeper...!

Looking forward to seeing the rest of you trip.

Bon voyage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Part II: The Mississippi River Trip

Minnesota? Check.

Spent time visiting with family and friends in the Twin Cities metropolitan area. The sunsets aren’t bad:

Followed the Mississippi River south:

Stopped by the Laura Ingalls Wilder Museum in Pepin, WI:

Crossed into Iowa:

Hiked to the top of Eagle Rock in Effigy Mounds National Monument in Iowa:

Stopped for dinner in Dubuque, IA:

Rode the Fenelon Place Elevator in Dubuque, the shortest, steepest railroad in the world:

Next stop: Missouri:

Hannibal, MO, site of Mark Twain’s childhood home:

Mandatory stop at the St. Louis Gateway Arch:

Caught a double rainbow on I-55 is MO:

World’s Largest Fountain Cup (Cape Girardeau, MO)? Check.

Next stop: Arkansas!

Tennessee was next:

The most serious stop of the trip - the National Civil Rights Museum, where Dr. Martin Luther King Jr was assassinated in 1968:

On a more lighthearted note, we stopped by the Peabody hotel in Memphis, where ducks are paraded through the lobby twice a day, until they take a dip in the hotel fountain:

Followed Highway 61 south, following the history of the blues:

Headed down to Clarksdale, MI. One of the highlights - stopping by the intersection of Highways 49 and 61, made famous by the legend of Robert Johnson selling his soul to the devil to become a blues master:

The HR-V continues to impress as a cross-country cruiser. It’s fuel efficient, comfortable, and easy to store all of our stuff. Ending mileage: 3,787.

Next stop - New Orleans and the return journey to New Jersey!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts