Honda HR-V Forum banner
21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yes, it is impossible to lock the keys inside the car. Here's a crazy note though. If you start the vehicle, then remove the smart key from the vehicle. (Say a friend exits the vehicle with a bag that has the keys in it) an alarm will sound but the car will remain running. Meaning you can drive off and go wherever you want. But once you've stopped and turned off the car, you can't turn it back on.

The alarm is audible outside the car as well. It eventually stops.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks for this thread. I have a question also: so you keep the FOB in your pocket all the time and as you approach the car it automatically unlocks? How about when you walk away, does it automatically lock also and if so how many seconds after you walk away? And how far away does the FOB need to be from the car before activating it? Suppose I park it right out side my house window and place the keys to close to the window?

Sorry for all the questions. Maybe I better stick with a car that offers good ol fashioned keys. :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
No, it doesn't unlock until you put your hand on the handle. It doesn't lock automatically.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I keylessly unlock the car through the driver's door, ONLY the driver's door unlocks. I have to open my driver's door then manually unlock the rest of the car by clicking the unlock button on the inside of the door. This is such an inconvenience because sometimes I forget to manually unlock the whole car, and I am already sitting in the car and my 9-year-old son is knocking on the back door to try to get in (poor guy!).

Is there a way to have the keyless entry open ALL the doors, or does it only open the driver's door? Thank you!

·
Administrator
1,927 Posts
No, unless you hit the button on the remote twice or open the door on the passenger side first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Smart key trick

Hi,

Winter is approaching and I don't have a starter for my HRV. Can I start my car and leave the first smart key inside (to prevent the alert sound), then use my second smart key to lock the car from outside?

·
Registered
772 Posts
Never leave the car running with a fob inside. That is the license to steal it.

I don't think you can kick the car with a fob inside

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi,

Winter is approaching and I don't have a starter for my HRV. Can I start my car and leave the first smart key inside (to prevent the alert sound), then use my second smart key to lock the car from outside?
It will only beep for a second so it would be better to take the key with you rather than leaving it. Why don't you invest in remote starter? DIY is not bad if you wouldn't mind spending some time ;)

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Thanks for this thread. I have a question also: so you keep the FOB in your pocket all the time and as you approach the car it automatically unlocks? How about when you walk away, does it automatically lock also and if so how many seconds after you walk away? And how far away does the FOB need to be from the car before activating it? Suppose I park it right out side my house window and place the keys to close to the window?

Sorry for all the questions. Maybe I better stick with a car that offers good ol fashioned keys. :)
Push the gray "eraser" button in the front door handle to lock the car from the outside without touching the fob. Having driven a rental cart without keyless ignition for the past 10 days, I'll never got back.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Keep your key fob at least 5-6 feet away from the car when the car is parked, Your key fob battery will drain faster if key is kept close to the car since it is a proximity key and it communicates with the vehicle.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Is there a way to have the keyless entry open ALL the doors, or does it only open the driver's door? Thank you!
I thought I had heard early on that there was a way to program it so it always unlocked all the doors - from the driver's side.. but I haven't seen anyone say they've done it.. I'd like to do that.. If anyone knows how- I'd love to know! Thanks.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I thought I had heard early on that there was a way to program it so it always unlocked all the doors - from the driver's side.. but I haven't seen anyone say they've done it.. I'd like to do that.. If anyone knows how- I'd love to know! Thanks.
To be the best of my knowledge, this is not possible with the U.S. model. You can unlock the driver's side door by pulling on the handle. You can unlock all the doors by 1) Using the unlock button on the fob or 2) pressing the unlock button on the driver's side door, just forward of the power window buttons. Passenger side door unlocks all doors.

·
Registered
211 Posts
To be the best of my knowledge, this is not possible with the U.S. model. You can unlock the driver's side door by pulling on the handle. You can unlock all the doors by 1) Using the unlock button on the fob or 2) pressing the unlock button on the driver's side door, just forward of the power window buttons. Passenger side door unlocks all doors.
Thanks. I am aware of those other methods. Would be nice if I could open the back door (driver's side) when coming to car with dry cleaning or groceries without having to open driver's door and then push the button. Could use unlock button on Fob, but the case I have for my fob covers all the buttons - no scratches and no getting pushed my mistake! Also, fob is in pocket or whatever - to keep my hands free - which is the whole point. Many cars you can tap, say the inside of the door handle, twice and it will unlock all the doors.

·
Banned
354 Posts
When I keylessly unlock the car through the driver's door, ONLY the driver's door unlocks. I have to open my driver's door then manually unlock the rest of the car by clicking the unlock button on the inside of the door. This is such an inconvenience because sometimes I forget to manually unlock the whole car, and I am already sitting in the car and my 9-year-old son is knocking on the back door to try to get in (poor guy!).

Solution: simply just don't forget or double click on the unlock button on your fob. SMH

·
Registered
64 Posts
There is they asked me that when they went to set up my car for pickup.. They asked me if I wanted it to just open the drivers door or all doors and I asked for all doors.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
There is they asked me that when they went to set up my car for pickup.. They asked me if I wanted it to just open the drivers door or all doors and I asked for all doors.
And do they all open? What country are you in (important, as we have discovered that some features are very different). If it's a U.S. model, and the dealer managed to change the default, lots of people are going to be going to dealers to ask HOW?

Early on I discovered that it's possible to change the autolock defaults, but I have never seen an all-door option for the left side.

·
Registered
64 Posts
And do they all open? What country are you in (important, as we have discovered that some features are very different). If it's a U.S. model, and the dealer managed to change the default, lots of people are going to be going to dealers to ask HOW?

Early on I discovered that it's possible to change the autolock defaults, but I have never seen an all-door option for the left side.
Actually my whole entry system is messed up... I have a hard time getting in the driver side door sometimes or in the hatch.. I have a appointment tomorrow.
Anyways It does not from the drivers side but it does from the passengers side. The passengers side opens all doors. I think they just messed it up setting it up.

21 - 40 of 82 Posts