Honda HR-V Forum banner
61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
........Many cars you can tap, say the inside of the door handle, twice and it will unlock all the doors.
My Golf does this. Put your hand behind the handle and it unlocks driver's side. Repeat this and it will unlock the rest of the doors. The first few days I had the HRV, I'd walk up and put my hand behind the handle twice and get in while the rest of the family stood at their doors and looked at me angrily amused. The good news is that now I'm opening the door for my wife 100% of the time as this unlocks the doors for everyone!

Reactions: Frankie

·
Registered
10 Posts
Locked with key fob inside HRV

Warning - this could happen to you!
I opened passenger door with fob clipped to outside of my bag, same as I do every night.
Normally I unlock the passenger side, so all doors unlock and stay unlocked... including the back hatch.
I put the bag on the seat, grab my snow brush, close the passenger door and clear the snow off around the back.
It doesn't take long - fresh snow, just brushes off, maybe a minute to do.
This time - when I arrived at the driver door, and tried to open it - No joy.
Walked around the car checking all doors - they were all firmly locked, hatch too.
Bag with fob clearly visible on front passenger seat!

So, it is possible for the CAR to lock itself with the fob inside. I didn't do it - but the car did.

Here's what happened:
Cars with key fobs are programmed so that if you unlock them and then do not open any door - the system relocks after a minute. Safety feature I guess.
I open the door, drop bag, grab a brush and close it. In cold weather the door closed switch may not finish popping out, or the switch might be stuck, or the rubber cover stiff - and the car does not register that a door was opened. So, it relocks!
The same could happen if the sunroof is open - unlock the doors, toss the key in the top, chat to a friend - and find the car has locked.

Honda Programmers need a way to check that the fob is not in the car before relocking.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yea, and for the customers benefit. :rolleyes:

Give the customer the option to make their own decision.......poor design by Honda.
Don't know how many times I've been burned by this silly "safety feature".
Agree - Should def have the "two tap" feature.. PLUS - if they're concerned about safety - why (even though I'm glad) do all the doors unlock when you open the front driver side door? I'm just saying that's not any safer.. I should at least be able to walk up to the rear driver side door and have it open as the first door the fob will open - but I'm not aware of a way for it to do that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Warning - this could happen to you!
I opened passenger door with fob clipped to outside of my bag, same as I do every night.
Normally I unlock the passenger side, so all doors unlock and stay unlocked... including the back hatch.
I put the bag on the seat, grab my snow brush, close the passenger door and clear the snow off around the back.
It doesn't take long - fresh snow, just brushes off, maybe a minute to do.
This time - when I arrived at the driver door, and tried to open it - No joy.
Walked around the car checking all doors - they were all firmly locked, hatch too.
Bag with fob clearly visible on front passenger seat!

So, it is possible for the CAR to lock itself with the fob inside. I didn't do it - but the car did.

Here's what happened:
Cars with key fobs are programmed so that if you unlock them and then do not open any door - the system relocks after a minute. Safety feature I guess.
I open the door, drop bag, grab a brush and close it. In cold weather the door closed switch may not finish popping out, or the switch might be stuck, or the rubber cover stiff - and the car does not register that a door was opened. So, it relocks!
The same could happen if the sunroof is open - unlock the doors, toss the key in the top, chat to a friend - and find the car has locked.

Honda Programmers need a way to check that the fob is not in the car before relocking.
This is exactly what happened to me earlier today. Left dog training class, opened passenger side, dropped bag with fob inside on the passenger seat, take dog aside to pee, come back to find all doors locked. And they said it couldn't be done.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts

I've been having problems with my door switches, Honda is replacing under warranty. I finally took a look at it... I think this is what's causing them to "fail". The rubber gets folded over the plunger and holds the switch in.

I locked my keys in the car because of the switch like this, Honda said the same thing... Can't be done

For what it's worth, the new switch has a little different rubber, we'll see how it holds up

Sent from my SM-G900R4 (klteusc) running CM14 12.18.16

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
It probably didn't register that the doors ever opened. Check your door switch, garuntee it's stuck

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, if you don't have a starter in your HRV yet you can warm it up but when you leave the vehicle, lock it with the physical key. You can bring the fob with you and it will stay on, and the doors will stay locked. When you enter the vehicle again you need to unlock it again with the physical key, it won't unlock with the fob. I was quoted $1000 for a starter since it had to be Honda approved?? don't got that cash to drop yet lol. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Reading through all this thread for the first time I didn't realise so many of you in the northern hemisphere were having so many issues. On Australian models the keyless entry is pretty straightforward:

To unlock, touch behind the driver's door handle - all doors unlock, one beep. Same applies on the passenger side door.
Touch release on tailgate - only tailgate unlocks, one beep.
To lock, touch behind driver's door handle - all doors lock, three beeps. Same applies on the passenger side door.
Manual operation, to unlock - press unlock button on key fob, press a second time and hold to open all windows and sunroof (great on a stinking hot day).
Manual operation, to lock - press lock button on key fob, press a second time and hold to fold in door mirrors (in case you forgot when getting out of the car).

·
Registered
143 Posts
Reading through all this thread for the first time I didn't realise so many of you in the northern hemisphere were having so many issues. On Australian models the keyless entry is pretty straightforward:

To unlock, touch behind the driver's door handle - all doors unlock, one beep. Same applies on the passenger side door.
Touch release on tailgate - only tailgate unlocks, one beep.
To lock, touch behind driver's door handle - all doors lock, three beeps. Same applies on the passenger side door.
Manual operation, to unlock - press unlock button on key fob, press a second time and hold to open all windows and sunroof (great on a stinking hot day).
Manual operation, to lock - press lock button on key fob, press a second time and hold to fold in door mirrors (in case you forgot when getting out of the car).
Yes, that's the way all of North America would like them to operate but for some unknown reason Honda decided to make ours different!:crying:

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Hmm, I don't know if mine always looked like that when the switch was broken, but I remember playing with it in the dark and my dome lights would flicker by brushing the switch (like it was shorting out). I'd still keep an eye on them

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
435 Posts
Yes, that's the way all of North America would like them to operate but for some unknown reason Honda decided to make ours different!:crying:
I wouldn't be surprised if it is because of some safety advisory group with a couple of examples of people unlocking their doors and some stranger hopping into their passenger seat.

·
Registered
46 Posts
We just received our 2017 HR-V EX at the dealer yesterday and the sales person was great to show us that and to sit in the car with us and get us familiarized with different options in the car. Hopefully this is what they do for you. I also read/skimmed through the online manual for the car before picking it up to help myself get familiar with any new options I might not know.

Cheers,
Andrew

1 Posts
this happened to me last night and that incident is what brought me here to the Honda HRV forum. I was quite surprised! Very thankful we were among friends who could give us a ride home to get to the other key fob. Of course, it was snowing like crazy - your story is exactly what happened to me.

61 - 80 of 82 Posts