Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I've been looking everywhere to see if anyone knows if the HRV manual transmission will have a timing chain or a timing belt. I'm personally hoping for a timing belt.

Have any of you heard one way or another.

Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Definitely a chain, according to this:

http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=8462-en

Under normal usage, a tune-up is not required until approximately 100,000 miles5 (only routine inspections and fluid changes are required up to this point). Credit for this longevity goes to long-wearing double-tipped spark plugs, a long-life timing chain, and careful engineering of the precisely manufactured SOHC valvetrain – which reliably maintains proper valve tappet clearances until the first tune-up.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Any particular reason you prefer a belt? I've had both and the peace of mind of a chain is much preferred, IMHO. I'm curious as to why you prefer a belt.
I prefer a chain any day. Usually lasts the life of the car as long as they use metal and not plastic gears. A belt is expensive to have replaced or an all day project to DIY. Glad they went back to a chain so I don't have to think about it at 60,000 miles.

·
Registered
95 Posts
So I gather that the 1.8 engine is still an interference engine and that the switch to a metal timing chain reduces the risk of belt breakage versus a rubber timing belt?

I'm glad to know that the 1.8 has a timing chain as a timing belt breakage while driving is catastrophic (costly) for interference engines.

·
Registered
805 Posts
So I gather that the 1.8 engine is still an interference engine and that the switch to a metal timing chain reduces the risk of belt breakage versus a rubber timing belt?

I'm glad to know that the 1.8 has a timing chain as a timing belt breakage while driving is catastrophic (costly) for interference engines.
"Interference" ... the valves are open while the piston's simultaneously at TDC ... such that the two desire to occupy the same space at the same time ...
Usually to the detriment of the piston :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts