Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Joined the forum to get more info and first-hand tips. the 2016 HR-V looks groovy and i'm planning to give it a try, but I still need to know info about it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I just got mine today, What would you like to know?

Btw, Tested the Paddle Shifter (EX+) and downshifting through turns and just getting on the highway made it way more fun than, stomping on the gas. I usually drive a Manual Si but this is amazingly fun for an Auto!

Reactions: Bajando41

·
Registered
235 Posts
I messed with the paddle shifters a bit. I don't think I'll use them to slow down to turn - I just can't get the timing right and it feels jerky. But I did downshift when pulling out onto the highway a few times and that was pretty fun getting that extra boost of power.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I messed with the paddle shifters a bit. I don't think I'll use them to slow down to turn - I just can't get the timing right and it feels jerky. But I did downshift when pulling out onto the highway a few times and that was pretty fun getting that extra boost of power.

Neither do I on turns. Infact, I use them to speed up on turns. Especially going uphill.. I feel like you mentally want that power to go uphill in this vehicle and pressing on gas just doesnt quite do the job.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I think I just might go to my Honda Dealership And Give Those Paddle Shifters a try myself. Any Droning while paddle shifting.
Very Responsive Padding shift. Tap the downshift once while in "D" and you will have control for Three(3)Seconds. Tap it twice and you will have more control. Sometimes, I just end up holding down the paddle and let go when I no longer need the boost.

·
Registered
6 Posts
OK, coming from someone who has never...never driven a stick, is there an explanation in the manual on how to utilize the paddles?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I've driven manual all my life, but I'll take a crack at describing it. I don't think paddle shifters are necessary or helpful in an automatic, but maybe that's because I'm craving the real thing :) With the CVT transmission in this car (which doesn't really have any gears), I think it's especially useless. Also note I have the manual and have never used the HR-V in an auto.

Generally engines have more power at higher RPM (how fast the engine is spinning), so if you want more power you can "downshift" using the left paddle to bring the RPM higher. This can be helpful if you see a need to pass someone coming up, you can prep the engine for higher power before you pull out. If you waited until you pulled out then hit the gas, the car will have some lag while it downshifts.

Another use for downshifting is to slow the car down using the transmission. On hills this is useful because the engine will drag the car down instead of riding the brakes as hard. I've also used this when my brakes have all out failed and I need to come to a stop, but hope you don't need that :)

Upshifting (the right side paddle) can be useful to bring the RPM down, which could possibly give you better gas mileage in situations where you don't need the power. Generally upshifting an automatic is useless unless you just want to play with the engine.

I'll re-iterate, there's no reason to use it in this car. The CVT should react and give you the power needed when you need it. I guess maybe you could use it when anticipating a pass, but I doubt you'll get much out of it.

·
Administrator
1,492 Posts
I've driven manual all my life, but I'll take a crack at describing it. I don't think paddle shifters are necessary or helpful in an automatic, but maybe that's because I'm craving the real thing :) With the CVT transmission in this car (which doesn't really have any gears), I think it's especially useless. Also note I have the manual and have never used the HR-V in an auto.

Generally engines have more power at higher RPM (how fast the engine is spinning), so if you want more power you can "downshift" using the left paddle to bring the RPM higher. This can be helpful if you see a need to pass someone coming up, you can prep the engine for higher power before you pull out. If you waited until you pulled out then hit the gas, the car will have some lag while it downshifts.

Another use for downshifting is to slow the car down using the transmission. On hills this is useful because the engine will drag the car down instead of riding the brakes as hard. I've also used this when my brakes have all out failed and I need to come to a stop, but hope you don't need that :)

Upshifting (the right side paddle) can be useful to bring the RPM down, which could possibly give you better gas mileage in situations where you don't need the power. Generally upshifting an automatic is useless unless you just want to play with the engine.

I'll re-iterate, there's no reason to use it in this car. The CVT should react and give you the power needed when you need it. I guess maybe you could use it when anticipating a pass, but I doubt you'll get much out of it.
You really need to drive an HRV with the CVT. I've driven manual cars more than auto in my life and the only reason I buy Automatic now is because the wife doesn't know how to drive manual. With that said, the HRV CVT can emulate a 7 speed auto transmission and can be driven like a manual on S mode. When on regular drive mode, you can shift up and down using the paddle shifters and it will continue to shift on its own like normal. You can definitely tell the difference when you downshift with the paddles to pass cars, go up hills, or to tranny brake down hills.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
If I get a chance maybe I will, but I drive a new rental almost every week (travel job), so I've tried lots of paddle shifters in Dodge, Chevy, Ford, Subaru, Kia, Hyundai, etc. The only one that was any fun to paddle shift was the Mustang, the rest just felt like too much work for too little gain.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts