Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I intended to keep this car from brand new till 200k and it absolutely would have made it. I put on about 125k until it was rear ended and pushed into a truck. Frame crunched so bad I had to kick the door open from inside, my daughters car seat broke loose on impact. All in all, she was fine and I'm just sore. There was at least a 60mph speed differential from the car behind

Thanks for the advice over the past 6 years here, I'll truly miss this little car. As my family has grown I need something a little bigger, and wish the refreshed model were out in NA.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
751 Posts
With regards to the child seat, was this due to an issue with the child seat or the Honda anchoring point? Whatever the cause of it breaking away, it may be worth sending a phot to the car seat manufacturer and or Honda for them to assess.

I know SAAB used to send an Investigation Team to any RTI's involving their vehicles up to a few hundred miles from the factory to use as research for future vehicle developments.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
With regards to the child seat, was this due to an issue with the child seat or the Honda anchoring point? Whatever the cause of it breaking away, it may be worth sending a phot to the car seat manufacturer and or Honda for them to assess.

I know SAAB used to send an Investigation Team to any RTI's involving their vehicles up to a few hundred miles from the factory to use as research for future vehicle developments.
Great question, one many have asked and I'm still rattling my brain over. The seat actually looks fine, we were using the latch system which is rated for 40lbs abs my daughter weighs 38. I suspect with the hard impact and pushing max weight it was too much

The car is officially totalled and I'll likely never see it again so I may never know the true root cause. I will be switching our other car to seat belt instead of the latch though. I keep thinking about if she were ejected......she was only kept in the car by one little strap

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Glad your family was safe, and the car's supposed to sacrifice itself for it's owner.
We both had the 2016 EX models, except yours was manual, mine was CVT, you've always been a solid contributor on here, so you will be missed.
Thanks! I remember some early on debates we had, it's truly been a fun community for me to be a part of from the (near) beginning and I appreciate some of the things I've learned from you

Glad your family is safe and relatively unscathed. Cars can be replaced. You'll be missed on this forum. Thanks for all you've contributed over the years.
Again, thank you! If you guys ever end up with a Tucson there is a forum dedicated to the NX4 Gen (my22+), reminds me of the early years here where everyone has a ton of questions and are figuring what the common issues are going to be. I plan to be a big participant there too

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I don't suspect I'll end up with a Tuscon. My next vehicle is almost certainly going to be a fully electric one. Really thinking hard about the Mach-E. I just have to be willing to part with the $$$.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Honestly I was hoping to run my Honda for another 2-3 years and buy an electric. 99% of my travel is under 60 miles a day, and our plan was to buy my wife an SUV with a traditional gas engine for camping/long roadtrips to see family. It seemed like a fun jump to go from driving a stick shift to a Jetsons car :)

It's just not "quite" there for me in the non-luxury electric car market. I don't want to spend $40k on a car, and even with rebates there aren't any fully electrified cars with the features of my new Tucson for less than $50k. There are definitely no electric cars on the lots near me, which again sucks when you're under the gun to buy. I'd be curious what you end up with though!

·
Registered
751 Posts
@Phalkon30, what is the roof 'bulge' to the left of the 3rd Seat Seatbelt recliner, I don't have that in my UK version.

As to the EV debate, my town, like many of the towns and villages around here, is a former mining town with lots of miners cottages;

Window Property Building Sky Road surface

How the heck do they expect you to charge your vehicle at home when you are not guaranteed to be able to park anywhere near your own property? WIth all the cables hanging out of windows connecting to cars on the road it would be like a scene from Full Metal Jacket for any passing pedestrians unlucky enough to be walking on the pavement (asphalt is for roads, pavements are for pedestrians!!)

Shorts Folk wrestling Fun Competition event Recreation

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am afraid to get an electric car like Tesla because when it is caught on fire during an accident. It is hard to stop.

The U.S. National Transportation Safety Board has investigated a series of fires in Tesla vehicles. It said this year that high-voltage lithium-ion batteries pose safety risks to first responders after crashes.

“Electric car fires are harder to extinguish simply because of the battery design. Gasoline fires have a single reaction, while electric car batteries can have a prolonged source of energy to fuel the fire. This makes extinguishing an electric car fire more difficult.”

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@Hadleys Taxi interesting...I looked at the other photos I took and the inner roofline is fine/intact, must be a shadow or something. Hah, picturing your sidewalk with cars plugged in across it, I guess I'm blessed to have a garage I can park in.

@David_L while electric car fires may be harder to put out, they're also SIGNIFICANTLY less likely. I think of all the fears for an electric car, that is low on my list.
Musical instrument Guitar accessory Font String instrument Display device

·
Registered
751 Posts
@Hadleys Taxi interesting...I looked at the other photos I took and the inner roofline is fine/intact, must be a shadow or something.

View attachment 33034
My query was answered in another thread, it is the the retaining clip for the middle child seat. We don't use the tether points, as we have ISOFIX instead;

Car White Trunk Vehicle Personal luxury car

As for the vehicle fire debate, I can never understand why Americans still insist on fueling their vehicles with gas. As you can see from your helpful diagram, petrol is so much safer. Zero fires.........

1 - 20 of 21 Posts