Honda HR-V Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Not across your Northern border, apparently. I've seen no indication that they'll allow towing here.
Funny, as I revised "pond" to "border" before posting as I figured surely the Canadians would suffer the same restriction. Makes one wonder if Honda, like HRV4ME, thinks it foolish for one to want to tow with such a vehicle.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I towed a trailer across the country with a Fit

They do not recommend towing with a 2008 Fit, but I had no problem. We drove from Naples, FL, stopped in NOLA and the Grand Canyon, and ended up in San Diego. That was over a year ago and the car is still running fine.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Besides, how would they know if you towed anything? I mean, unless you drove up to the service door with a loaded trailer!

Again, I would argue that the onus would be on Honda to show that your "having a trailer hitch" contributed to any damage.

Just because you have a trailer hitch doesn't mean you've actually ever towed anything ... to wit, my attempt to keep people off my paper-thin plastic "bumper" ... never towed, never gonna' tow:

IMG_0379m.jpg

·
Registered
26 Posts
After-market hitch installation

Did anyone end up finding a manufacturer for an aftermarket hitch for the HR-V? I've looked at HiddenHitch's website, nothing for HR-V yet... What other manufacturers are there?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Did anyone end up finding a manufacturer for an aftermarket hitch for the HR-V? I've looked at HiddenHitch's website, nothing for HR-V yet... What other manufacturers are there?
Curt Manufacturing make one for the Fit ... surely one will be coming for the HR-V ... especially if sufficient numbers request it.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Etrailer sells hitches from 5 different makers. Nothing there yet but check the website occasionally and one will turn up soon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
HRV towing

Etrailer has hitch for it as class 1 with 200 lbs tongue weight and 2000 lbs trailer. Did anyone try this? What is the problem? From stopping with HRV brakes or I can add electrical brakes on my trailer? Thanks.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Etrailer has hitch for it as class 1 with 200 lbs tongue weight and 2000 lbs trailer. Did anyone try this? What is the problem? From stopping with HRV brakes or I can add electrical brakes on my trailer? Thanks.
How many Quan NGuyens could there possibly be in tx? I guess I'm gonna say at least two because the one I Know doesn't own an HRV, unless he bought it for his wife.. lol

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a Draw-tite class 1 hitch ( 200lbs tw and 2000lbs gtw rating) and use it a lot for my mountain bike rack and some times I also tow a trailer . never had any problem.
Like this times I did 700km (350km each way) to get 5x 37inch tires for my jeep... the gaz millage was not that good on that trip by the way... ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Pfft, an aluminum trailer? ;)

I towed something similar on my draw tite hitch, but not on the freeway. It hauled a DR mower and some other trail equipment in a steel trailer about that size with no issues.

Backing up with the trailer was easier than e expected, although I wonder if that was the trailer more than the car.

·
Registered
71 Posts
How many people buy a subcompact SUV for towing. Surely it can be done much like you see cars with tow hitches. I didn't buy my HRV to tow. Heck i had my Jeep Liberty geared to tow and if i towed a trailer twice a year it was alot. I do love the fact that i can put a fishing Kayak inside and car camp as well. I haven't explored roof racking yet. I could easily put camping gear and two mountain bikes in the back. The HRV is amazing for how small it is.

·
Registered
11 Posts
When I got my 2017 LX model, I took it to uhaul to install their hitch on it. It's a class I 2000lbs max, 250lb tongue weight. I've used it to help my friend move apartments and towed uhaul's 5x8' and 5x10' closed trailers with no problems three times now. I wouldn't recommend to keep doing it but for me every once in a while it's great. I plan on using the hitch to mount a cargo basket for road trips.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
When I got my 2017 LX model, I took it to uhaul to install their hitch on it. It's a class I 2000lbs max, 250lb tongue weight. I've used it to help my friend move apartments and towed uhaul's 5x8' and 5x10' closed trailers with no problems three times now. I wouldn't recommend to keep doing it but for me every once in a while it's great. I plan on using the hitch to mount a cargo basket for road trips.
We use our hitch regularly
- Light weight aluminium trailer for hauling light loads
- 2 bike hitch
And a Thule ski box on top occasionally.

I keep the total trailer plus load under 1,000 lbs to be safe (the HR-V is rated for 500 kg/ 1,100 lbs in Australia)
https://www.honda.com.au/cars/suv/hr-v/specification.html

I was told not to go for a 3 or 4 bike hitch, as the tongue weight puts excessive stress on the frame, very risky when you are going against the "not recommended for towing" warning.
A cargo carrier typically has a long bar, which puts a lot of torque and stress on the frame.

I would go for the Thule on the roof for extra carrying capacity over a cargo carrier on the hitch. If you get a cargo carrier, be very careful with weight.

·
Banned
609 Posts
towing limits

It is funny how HR-V's made in Mexico (like mine is) are identical and sent to Australia (with a smaller engine) and have a towing limit of 500kg. (a little over 1,100 pounds)....it is obviously a political and liability reason herein America. What should concern us here is the fact that there warranty period is longer though (5 years with unlimited mileage).

·
Registered
384 Posts
N/A HR-Vs should not be used to tow- it says so in the manual.
Probably a combo of the CVT and unibody construction (not a full frame like a " truck") where Honda says " nope".

·
Registered
369 Posts
Probably a combo of the CVT and unibody construction (not a full frame like a " truck") where Honda says " nope".
No chewing gum in class either! All kidding aside, I'm sure that most of the people who have chosen to tow with their HR-V have read their manual and made their own choice.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
The fact the HR-V built in the same plant in Mexico, gets shipped to Europe, and is rated to tow means it is not the CVT or unibody construction.
In fact, the HR-V won tow car of the year award in Europe.

Been towing since I got mine in 2015. (maybe 10 trips a year, 400-1000 lbs)
You do it at your own risk, and need to be extra careful of tongue weight, total weight, braking distance, etc.
You could put 750 lbs in the car (3 big guys), or put 750 lbs in a trailer, whats the difference?
Actually better on the cars suspension for the weight to be towed, so it's not riding on the cars suspension.

Most likely legal reasons why they don't rate it, less liability.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts