Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
I'm surprised Bice hasn't made an appearance.

I'd be interested in seeing the four door design of that sporty car!

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I don't think that article is accurate. The head of Scion, Doug Murtha has said not to expect the third model to be a CUV. The iM and the iA will be out this fall. The third model is rumored to be a small car of some sort.
I am waiting to see more about the iM, but I am liking many things about it.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Actually like the looks of this new Scion, kind of Juke like, but toned down some. This is what Scion needs now, not the iA sedan and iM hatchback as both these categories of vehicles are down as people are shifting to subcompact and small CUVs/SUVs:

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Actually like the looks of this new Scion, kind of Juke like, but toned down some. This is what Scion needs now, not the iA sedan and iM hatchback as both these categories of vehicles are down as people are shifting to subcompact and small CUVs/SUVs:

I don't think they will produce this without a lot of changes.
The iM is actually a good choice for Scion. If you don't need AWD and the seating is high enough, there is a demand for it.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Even some other vehicles in the industry have taken cues from the Juke, funny how that works coming from a vehicle with design a lot of people hated.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
The design wasn't hated necessarily. It was the front end was a little too strong headed, but more importantly the vehicle was too small. Hope Scion doesn't make the same mistake.

Here is Scion's recent sales and it shows people are moving away from the brand and another rebadged Toyota sedan isn't going to cut it to turn sales around.

Even some other vehicles in the industry have taken cues from the Juke, funny how that works coming from a vehicle with design a lot of people hated.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I don't think that article is accurate. The head of Scion, Doug Murtha has said not to expect the third model to be a CUV. The iM and the iA will be out this fall. The third model is rumored to be a small car of some sort.
I am waiting to see more about the iM, but I am liking many things about it.
This is likely the third new Scion. A small car that may actually appeal to young people, but not my cup of tea.

If any of these three new models do well, Scion will continue. I think these will be it's last chances.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I would consider them done with then at this point. Bringing 3 new small cars to the market is the problem. Its as if Scion, like Toyota right now, has missed the subcompact CUV market. Denial will not cut it and obviously someone hasn't been looking at their annual sales.

Here is what Scion should have been bringing to the market this summer, this class of vehicles is what people are wanting....

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Yes a CUV would be great and would sell well.

I disagree that new product is not the problem. Scion has had to make do with essentially the same cars , without changes for a very long time. Hence a steady drop in sales. Getting something new now is their chance to survive. If the next 3 new vehicles do not catch on, then they will be folded back into Toyota.

I actually really like that they are taking Toyotas from other markets and adapting them here as Scions. ( That is how the excellent , successful, reliable xB got here) There are many interesting cars out there in the world that we would not see here otherwise.

·
Registered
402 Posts

This looks clever, potentially combining the practicality of a sports car with the road manners of an SUV. If it makes production the Juke might have to relinquish it top spot as ugliest car made available to the public.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I think that Scion may have chosen the segments it did because they saw the most opportunity to actually compete. The CUV segment is really hot right now, but that might mean that if Scion tries to compete in that segment, they just won't sell much at all. Competing in a less competitive segment might offer Scion more of a chance to gain some market share.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Now thats some strategic approach.... ;););)

I think that Scion may have chosen the segments it did because they saw the most opportunity to actually compete. The CUV segment is really hot right now, but that might mean that if Scion tries to compete in that segment, they just won't sell much at all. Competing in a less competitive segment might offer Scion more of a chance to gain some market share.

·
Registered
514 Posts
This looks clever, potentially combining the practicality of a sports car with the road manners of an SUV. If it makes production the Juke might have to relinquish it top spot as ugliest car made available to the public.
My vote is for the mini hearse - pt cruiser.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
This looks great as a concept, but if it EVER makes it to production, it will be so toned down that it will get lost in the crowd and likely be overpriced.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Concept cars are most always presented with wheel sizes much larger than they reach production with. I'm guessing these are about 20s'. Now picture in your mind this car wearing 17s,:eek::(:crying:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Large wheels look cool, but they can do terrible things to ride quality. That's especially true when they have to go to low profile tires to fit the larger wheels in a fixed wheel space. As general rule-of-thumb ONLY - look at the range of wheel sizes offered by a manufacturer and pick the one in the middle. That's the one the car was designed for. Before marketing strutted through the engineering offices and commanded larger wheels because they look cool and people will pay more for them.

In this segment, I'd guess the CUV that feels like it has the hugest wheels is the Renegade. Not sure about that - but they looked humongous when I test drove that thing. You want to feel like you're driving a (cartoon) tank, you want a Renegade.

By the way, Toyota (aka Scion) announced a mutual cooperation deal with Mazda today. Actually, more like an agreement to look into mutual cooperation. Scion version of the CX-3 or CX-5? It doesn't stretch credulity that much, since Fiat is about to produce a variant of the 2016 Miata.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts