Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to make sure this is the transmission fluid plug where I can refill the transmission fluid. It is located near the battery. If someone can confirm for me, I would appreciate it. Thank you! :)
transmission fluid plug.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes. A 10" pair of pliers will grab it. It's a confined space. It's enough room to reach your pliers down and pull it out and and push it in. You can see some fluid on the end of it (if it's full) to give you a rough idea of the condition of the fluid. Not my favorite design. I prefer a dip stick for automatic transmissions. But, at least you don't have to pump it through the check plug on the side of the case from underneath the vehicle. I had to buy a special funnel to fill it. I serviced mine for the first time at 24,700 miles. It was dark brown. My friend has a civic with over 100,000 miles and never changed his. I'm curious to see how long his car lasts with the kind of abuse he puts it through and no preventative maintenance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes. A 10" pair of pliers will grab it. It's a confined space. It's enough room to reach your pliers down and pull it out and and push it in. You can see some fluid on the end of it (if it's full) to give you a rough idea of the condition of the fluid. Not my favorite design. I prefer a dip stick for automatic transmissions. But, at least you don't have to pump it through the check plug on the side of the case from underneath the vehicle. I had to buy a special funnel to fill it. I serviced mine for the first time at 24,700 miles. It was dark brown. My friend has a civic with over 100,000 miles and never changed his. I'm curious to see how long his car lasts with the kind of abuse he puts it through and no preventative maintenance.
Thank you!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why does the owners manual recommend filling the transmission fluid from the filler plug hole?

pg. 92
1. Remove the filler plug and the sealing washer
2. Refill the transmission with the recommended fluid into the filler hole plug until the transmission fluid overflows.

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
So I've got some bad news.

I decided to visit my mechanic and make sure the CVT fill plug was still in place before a road trip and he confirmed it came off again!!

Since I haven't been checking it, we have no idea when it came off the second time..

He said this has happened to two other customers of his, both with Honda CVTs so it was his opinion that there MUST be a TSB out there about this.

I've contacted the dealer to see if there's an updated part or a TSB, but I have my doubts.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Latest update on the saga:
-Dealer confirmed that there's no TSB on this issue and that the fill plug part number has always remained the same

-I found another thread about this issue which found a solution (link below). They wrote that the fill plug pops out of place because there's a breather vent that's clogged. I'll have my mechanic check it out next week and will update y'all to confirm if it is indeed clogged or not.

Thread with a solution: Honda CVT Fill Plug

The cap for the breather vent is part# 4 in this diagram (21396-P20-000):
https://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-list/2016-honda-hr_v--5dr_lx_awd-ka_cvt/transmission_automatic/at_torque_converter_case_components.html

Here's what a clogged breather vent looks like (from searching online - not my car) :

·
Registered
50 Posts
So I've got some bad news.

I decided to visit my mechanic and make sure the CVT fill plug was still in place before a road trip and he confirmed it came off again!!

Since I haven't been checking it, we have no idea when it came off the second time..

He said this has happened to two other customers of his, both with Honda CVTs so it was his opinion that there MUST be a TSB out there about this.

I've contacted the dealer to see if there's an updated part or a TSB, but I have my doubts.

Why is so grase that plug? my is clean and dry.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Why is so grase that plug? my is clean and dry.
Good question. I don't know why. The car is at 106,000km so maybe it's just a dirtier engine bay.

I bought a new plug to replace it. So far, the new plug has stayed in place for 400km.

Where under the hood is the breather?
Will ask my mechanic when he replaces the cap for the breather vent. I couldn't find it while looking around

·
Registered
104 Posts
Lo and behold, the cap for the breather vent was completely clogged (photo attached).

I feel bad for everyone who has this happen after 100,000km or so and has no idea it could eventually result in transmission failure.

7AA2AEF4-64F2-4331-8FC2-6154B8BDB556.jpeg

my mechanic was busy today so I couldn’t ask him to show me where the breather vent is located. I’m seeing him again next Thursday so I will ask him then.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Lo and behold, the cap for the breather vent was completely clogged (photo attached).

I feel bad for everyone who has this happen after 100,000km or so and has no idea it could eventually result in transmission failure.

View attachment 30360

my mechanic was busy today so I couldn’t ask him to show me where the breather vent is located. I’m seeing him again next Thursday so I will ask him then.
Thanks for the info. Please try to post a photo of the breather location when you find it.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts

View attachment 30360

Thanks for the information. I found this official Honda service article regarding that breather cap.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10165374-0001.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwib987_m7PqAhXaIDQIHdB-C3oQFjAFegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw2EoroiMuS6GRfxLEoQb0zO

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thanks to that article I was able to locate the breather cap. Not an readily visible location but easily accessed by feel once you know where it is. My 2016 only has about 20,000 miles but the breather was almost completely blocked. Quickly removed and cleaned with a piece of wire but I don't recall seeing that as a regular maintenance or inspection item. I will be doing that as part of every oil change from now on.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks for the information. I found this official Honda service article regarding that breather cap.
SlowFosho, this is unbelievable. Good for you for finding it. My mechanic kept telling me the dealership isn't being honest and that they must be dealing with this all the time.

I'm hoping the manager I spoke to was simply mistaken. I'd hate to think they're keeping quiet in hopes that they'll get the business from a failed transmission.

·
Registered
178 Posts
SlowFosho, this is unbelievable. Good for you for finding it. My mechanic kept telling me the dealership isn't being honest and that they must be dealing with this all the time.

I'm hoping the manager I spoke to was simply mistaken. I'd hate to think they're keeping quiet in hopes that they'll get the business from a failed transmission.

View attachment 30362
If that is the breather cap, the price sounds high. No need to replace it, just clean it out.

·
Registered
104 Posts
$16.42 was for the rubber fill cap

Breather cap was $7.61

(Canadian dollars)

You're 100% right that the cap can be cleaned but I wasn't sure if it would be missing once it was located so I had bought it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts