Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I don't think there is one. From page 396 of the owner's manual:

Transmission Fluid

Continuously variable transmission models
Have a dealer check the fluid level and replace if necessary.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's a closed tranmission. So if we fill in the fluid until it comes out of the fill hole, the fluid level is sufficient.

·
Registered
142 Posts
It's a closed tranmission. So if we fill in the fluid until it comes out of the fill hole, the fluid level is sufficient.
actually there are 2 plugs and 1 fill hole. I am not so sure that you should fill it til the it leaks the fill hole since it is all the way at the top.

·
Registered
19 Posts
CVT Fluid Replace

General Directions: Must be done on level ground, so on jacks not a ramp. There is a drain plug, fill plug, and check bolt. Run car to warm up. Replace washers along the way.

1. Make sure fill plug can be loosened. (if it is seized and you drain fluid, there will be no way to re-fill and you will be stuck)

2. Remove Drain plug. Drain. Re-install Plug.

3. Remove Fill plug. Fill with recommended amount of generation 2 Honda CVT fluid. Re-install fill plug.

4. Turn on engine and move gear shifter through all the gears and return to park. Shut off engine.

5. Remove check bolt. If a slow drip of fluid occurs, you are done. If no drip, add more fluid. If steady stream, continue to collect until a slow drip begins. Re-install check bolt.

Our '07 Civic seems to need a fluid change (standard AT) ~ every 20,000 miles and would be relatively easier than the closed HRV CVT. I expect to change our HRV CVT fluid for the first time at about that interval.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Maintenance Minder, Sub Item, Code 4 under normal conditions.

Manual also says change transmission fluid at 25K miles under extreme conditions: mountainous areas, trailer towing ... What? Trailer towing?

What about trailer towing in snowy mountainous areas >:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello to the forum - my first post here. I have a 2016 HR-V FWD and daughter has a 2016 HR-V AWD. So I get to work on two HR-Vs. Been working on cars a long time tho so no problem, although a service manual would be nice!

I changed the CVT fluid today in the daughter's HR-V for the first time at 30,000 miles. Followed the detailed procedure above (Thank You rameymb!). Drained the fluid and put in 4.2 quarts of HCF-2. Started it up and ran through the gears. Shut it down and pulled the check plug and 10 oz of fluid ran out before it slowed to a drip. It was sitting level in the garage.

Baffled, I measured the fluid drained out and sure enough it was a bit over 4.2 quarts. So I ended up putting the check plug back in and adding 10 oz of fluid.

Still confused though. One possibility is the check plug is at the same level as the non-AWD, which is supposed to take 3.8 quarts. The other is maybe the engine needs to be running when checking the level. I read somewhere else on this or another forum that the engine should be running when pulling the check plug. I know conventional transmissions need to be running in park when checking the fluid level.

So hoping for an expert here. Has anyone had this experience or know what might be going on?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would have refilled the same amount of fluid drained, in your case the 4.2 quarts. My 2017 EX AWD only has 700 miles so far but when the time comes for a CVT fluid change, that's what I intend to do. On my 02 Insight CVT, I always refilled with the same amount of fluid drained, 3.5 Qts. and never worried about it being under or over filled.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That's what I decided too - same in as out should be foolproof. I may have waited too long to pull the check plug - I read somewhere else that the level should be checked within 60-90 seconds after shutting the engine off.

Enjoy your new HR-V!

·
Registered
37 Posts
General Directions: Must be done on level ground, so on jacks not a ramp. There is a drain plug, fill plug, and check bolt. Run car to warm up. Replace washers along the way.

1. Make sure fill plug can be loosened. (if it is seized and you drain fluid, there will be no way to re-fill and you will be stuck)

2. Remove Drain plug. Drain. Re-install Plug.

3. Remove Fill plug. Fill with recommended amount of generation 2 Honda CVT fluid. Re-install fill plug.

4. Turn on engine and move gear shifter through all the gears and return to park. Shut off engine.

5. Remove check bolt. If a slow drip of fluid occurs, you are done. If no drip, add more fluid. If steady stream, continue to collect until a slow drip begins. Re-install check bolt.

Our '07 Civic seems to need a fluid change (standard AT) ~ every 20,000 miles and would be relatively easier than the closed HRV CVT. I expect to change our HRV CVT fluid for the first time at about that interval.
Thank you rameymb. This was very helpful. In the CVT parts diagram, which one is the check bolt? Also can you post the torque spec on each plug, that would be really helpful.

#13 - Fill plug
#31 - Drain Plug

https://estore.honda.com/honda/parts/view-honda-parts-catalog-detail.asp?m=2017-hr-v-5-lx-awd-celaya-cvt&sn=&b=ATM02&dl=

·
Registered
127 Posts
My 2016 LX AWD CVT has just passed 25,000 miles and I'm going to replace the CVT trans, fluid with some help from a friend who has a shop with a lift. :laugh: Changed the rear differential fluid recently and purchased a couple extra crush washers which are the same for the transmission drain and fluid level check plugs, 94109-2000(20mm) and 90471-PX4-000(18mm). Just have to pick up the Honda HCF-2 fluid and wait for a gap in my friends schedule so I can use the lift.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thank you rameymb. This was very helpful. In the CVT parts diagram, which one is the check bolt? Also can you post the torque spec on each plug, that would be really helpful.

[URL=http://www.hrvforum.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=13]#13 [/URL] - Fill plug
[URL=http://www.hrvforum.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=31]#31 [/URL] - Drain Plug

https://estore.honda.com/honda/parts/view-honda-parts-catalog-detail.asp?m=2017-hr-v-5-lx-awd-celaya-cvt&sn=&b=ATM02&dl=
#23 Is The drain plug, on transmission oil pan, 49 Nm (36 lb/ft)
#31 Is the fill check plug, on transmission case, 44 Nm (32 lb/ft)
#13 Is the rubber fill plug on the top of the transmission case

Did the fluid change today, OK, I mostly watched as my mechanic friend did the work ;). He used the procedure printed from Honda's techinfo website, basically as rameymb described, took about an hour.

·
Registered
127 Posts

[URL=http://www.hrvforum.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=13]#13 [/URL] - Fill plug
[URL=http://www.hrvforum.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=31]#31 [/URL] - Drain Plug

#31 Is the fill check plug, on transmission case, 44 Nm (32 lb/ft)

Did the fluid change today, OK, I mostly watched as my mechanic friend did the work ;). He used the procedure printed from Honda's techinfo website, took about an hour.

·
Registered
37 Posts
[URL=http://www.hrvforum.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=31]#31 [/URL] Is the fill check plug, on transmission case, 44 Nm (32 lb/ft)

Did the fluid change today, OK, I mostly watched as my mechanic friend did the work ;). He used the procedure printed from Honda's techinfo website, took about an hour.
Thank you. Looks like #31 is mis-labeled in the diagram.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Changed Transmission and Differential Fluids

Today I change the transmission and differential fluids on my 2016 HR-V LX, at about 19,000 miles. I used the recommended Honda fluids for each: HCF-2 for transmission (4 quarts @ $15/qt on Amazon) and Dual Pump II for differential (about 1.5 quarts @ $12.45/qt on Amazon).

For the transmission I did not bother to remove the check plug, just measured what came out (4 quarts) and put the same amount back in. You need a long neck funnel to reach the fill hole.

The differential required a fluid transfer pump to put the fluid in since there is not enough clearance above the fill hole for a funnel. I happened to have one made by Pennzoil ($10 on Amazon) and adapted the pickup tube to fit a quart container (mine is made for a gallon jug but they do sell one specifically for quart containers). Add the fluid until it starts coming out of the fill hole. Replace the fill plug and drive a short distance and you will be able to add more fluid. Total added was a bit less than 1.5 quarts.

Both the transmission and differential have magnetic drain plugs and I found a bit of metal dust on each so changing the fluid even with this low mileage is probably a good idea.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Trans oil

Today I change the transmission and differential fluids on my 2016 HR-V LX, at about 19,000 miles. I used the recommended Honda fluids for each: HCF-2 for transmission (4 quarts @ $15/qt on Amazon) and Dual Pump II for differential (about 1.5 quarts @ $12.45/qt on Amazon).

For the transmission I did not bother to remove the check plug, just measured what came out (4 quarts) and put the same amount back in. You need a long neck funnel to reach the fill hole.- I can argue with that one because i changed the trans oil and when i put back same amount thru the check plug wasnt enough and when i started the car went thru PRNDS and back when a removed the check plug it took little more not too much but more not the same amount what came out.

The differential required a fluid transfer pump to put the fluid in since there is not enough clearance above the fill hole for a funnel. I happened to have one made by Pennzoil ($10 on Amazon) and adapted the pickup tube to fit a quart container (mine is made for a gallon jug but they do sell one specifically for quart containers). Add the fluid until it starts coming out of the fill hole. Replace the fill plug and drive a short distance and you will be able to add more fluid. Total added was a bit less than 1.5 quarts.

Both the transmission and differential have magnetic drain plugs and I found a bit of metal dust on each so changing the fluid even with this low mileage is probably a good idea.

I can argue with that one because i changed the trans oil and when i put back same amount thru the check plug wasnt enough and when i started the car went thru PRNDS and back when a removed the check plug it took little more not too much but more not the same amount what came out. I used funel with atached plastic hose put it in the check hole it was very easy (plastic hose like for the aquarium use thicker of course)

1 - 20 of 112 Posts