Honda HR-V Forum banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
- so what is the plan after the 'first' change ? you can only really get say 50% out of a dump and refill, so when do you address the next change- another 20,000 miles ?

wouldn't that leave (theoretical) 25% of the fluid running until the 40,000 mile mark ?
or is there an approx - say 10 days later, a repeat in the process in order to remove as much old as possible, but also loosing some brand new fluid ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello,

New to the forum and recent new owner of a 2019 HRV

I downloaded from tech info.honda.com the TRANSMISSION FLUID REPLACEMENT procedure.

The rubber fill plug is not mentioned and didn't know if Honda changed the procedure from earlier models? Appears that the overflow plug is now the FILL PLUG also ?

Appreciate any info on this and I did read in an earlier post that the HRV rubber fill plug is extremely hard to get to. I did find that particular part.

Thank you much !!!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Question

Is there a plug on the topside of the transmission?
I was doing some engine bay cleaning and noticed there appears to be a hole where a plug or dipstick might go?

I noticed two holes but one had a plug of sorts and the other was open I believe.

I had the stealership do a transmission fluid drain/refill so I want to be sure they didn’t forget to put anything back on as they messed up and did the wrong work(changed my cabin and air filters instead of transmission fluid) before doing the transmission and could have rushed.

·
Registered
119 Posts
cabin air filters are cheap on Amazon and U-tube videos show how to change them easily
I don’t need to know how to replace the cabin/air filters. I’m pretty handy when it comes to cars.

What I meant is the dealership accidentally did my cabin and air filters when I requested a transmission fluid change.

The technician messed up my work order and basically did someone else’s work on my car then rushed through the actual work I requested.

I just want to be sure that all my fill plugs are still there.

I see one fill plug one the top of my transmission but it looks like their might have been a second one to the left and above it I’m not sure. It looks like a hole that should be plugged but it’s a hard to see under the intake where the transmission is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, on my 2019 HR-V, there is the rubber fill plug, but the maintenance manual states nothing about the plug like in other Hondas.

·
Registered
119 Posts
So this is the hole in question.

Is this a breather hole?

Does anyone’s transmission have a tube or cap there?

Most cars have a breather tube so no dirt gets inside, I had a piece of grass dangling about to fall in.

If you look in the engine bay from the front end of the car it’s below the fill plug

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hrvfaninmn I also have a 2019 by the way and I have the rubber fill plug. I just realized you were asking about it.

If you look right above the circled hole in my picture you’ll see the fill plug, so your hrv should have a fill plug too.

Your fill plug is on the top of transmission, you can see it through the top of the engine bay.

When you go to find your fill plug could you please tell me if the hole i circled In the photos is open like mine or covered with something?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I will look. The info from Honda says to NOT use the rubber fill plug hole to refill the CVT. The 2019 data from tech info says to use the horizontal plug to refill and level check. That rubber plug is almost impossible to get to on the 2019. I've looked online and other Honda CVT use the rubber fill plug hole, but the info I've read is to not use it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2017 HR-V with 56k...got the CVT transmission service/axle fluid done @ 46k...Some things I do my self but fluids I pay the dealer to do...I found out the dealer adds a special conditioner to the CVT service that youtube users/do it your selfers DO NOT add...be cautious and know when to pay an extra buck for proper Honda services.

·
Registered
296 Posts
2017 HR-V with 56k...got the CVT transmission service/axle fluid done @ 46k...Some things I do my self but fluids I pay the dealer to do...I found out the dealer adds a special conditioner to the CVT service that youtube users/do it your selfers DO NOT add...be cautious and know when to pay an extra buck for proper Honda services.
There is nothing in the Honda factory service manual about any "special conditioner", nor have I ever read or heard of such. Perhaps some dealers have some "snake oil" they use to jack up the price of transmission service.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2017 awd lx and downloaded the cvt change info from the Honda Tech info site after paying my $10 day use rate. It doesn't say ANYWHERE the sealing washer sizes for the drain plug or fill plug but it states to replace them. Anyone know?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have a 2017 awd lx and downloaded the cvt change info from the Honda Tech info site after paying my $10 day use rate. It doesn't say ANYWHERE the sealing washer sizes for the drain plug or fill plug but it states to replace them. Anyone know?
I went to Hondapartsnow and did a search on the parts- I dont havet he part # handy- but the side/check bolt crush washer is 20MM, and I think the bottom drain crushwaser is 18MM (I think). The parts gus at local dealerhsip have them handy for you.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Changed the CVT trans fluid on our recently purchased 2016 2wd HRV today. 50, 000km/30, 000miles on it.

Not hard, just time consuming. I found it easier to remove the air intake tube between the air filter and the rad support to make the fill plug easily accessible.
I hate that huge useless air intake resonator and am tempted to toss it all out but this thing is still on full warranty for another 10 months.
I'm hoping I don't mod our HRV unlike all our other vehicles. :)
At least it is a cold air intake, draws air from behind the grill, in front of the radiator.

The fluid came out very dark. I'm sure it's never been changed before. Minimal metal fuzz on the magnetic drain plug.
Our 2wd CVT took 3.6L. Cdn$20/L at our local Honda dealer.

The under engine plastic tray was missing most of the screws and plastic clips.
We have another Honda, so I have a ton of these spare clips on hand.

Thanks to everyone for all the info in this thread.

Edit: Added a pic of the CVT fluid that came out.

HRV  CVT Trans Fluid  52000km  Oct 2019.jpg

41 - 60 of 84 Posts