Honda HR-V Forum banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
I just changed mine last week too (2nd change @ ~62000, first done at dealership @ ~35000). I used a string with a slip knot to carefully pull the rubber plug - no need to remove anything! At the end I carefully lowered the plug with the string, then used long pliers to plug it back in :p

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hello,

New to the forum and recent new owner of a 2019 HRV

I downloaded from tech info.honda.com the TRANSMISSION FLUID REPLACEMENT procedure.

The rubber fill plug is not mentioned and didn't know if Honda changed the procedure from earlier models? Appears that the overflow plug is now the FILL PLUG also ?

Appreciate any info on this and I did read in an earlier post that the HRV rubber fill plug is extremely hard to get to. I did find that particular part.

Thank you much !!!!
Long pliers you can pull up on it

·
Registered
136 Posts
You can also weld a extension onto the plug like a dipstick.
You must be a better welder than I am. :) How can one weld to a small rod attached to a rubber plug without melting it?!!

Just my opinion, but I always clean the area around any fill cap before removing it.
Engine oil fill cap, power steering, over flow tank, brake fluid, etc, etc, and the HRV CVT trans fill cap.
Taking a string or wire or pliers to remove the CVT fill cap without prior cleaning around it is not wise.
Take a rag and clean all around it 1st, so no dirt or junk falls into your pricey CVT, then pull the cap.
Be careful while the CVT cap is off. Put a clean rag over the hole until you are ready to add fluid.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I had to remove the air intake tube so I could get my hand in there.
That just takes a minute.

·
Registered
91 Posts
You must be a better welder than I am. :) How can one weld to a small rod attached to a rubber plug without melting it?!!

Just my opinion, but I always clean the area around any fill cap before removing it.
Engine oil fill cap, power steering, over flow tank, brake fluid, etc, etc, and the HRV CVT trans fill cap.
Taking a string or wire or pliers to remove the CVT fill cap without prior cleaning around it is not wise.
Take a rag and clean all around it 1st, so no dirt or junk falls into your pricey CVT, then pull the cap.
Be careful while the CVT cap is off. Put a clean rag over the hole until you are ready to add fluid.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I had to remove the air intake tube so I could get my hand in there.
That just takes a minute.
No problem LOL,even plumbers no that trick thats not hard to figure out dude,welders tricks,like someone asking can you weld this magnesium for me with it not catching fire and sometimes exploding,--sure years of experience my man.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I looked for a fill plug for the transmission and didn't find one( on top of the trans. ).Do I use a oil bottle transfer pump to fill this trans. from below?Would I pump fluid in the drain hole till the fluid came out of the overflow hole?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Why does the owners manual recommend filling the transmission fluid from the filler plug hole instead of the rubber plug hole?

pg. 92
1. Remove the filler plug and the sealing washer
2. Refill the transmission with the recommended fluid into the filler hole plug until the transmission fluid overflows.

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
Why does the owners manual recommend filling the transmission fluid from the filler plug hole instead of the rubber plug hole?

pg. 92
1. Remove the filler plug and the sealing washer
2. Refill the transmission with the recommended fluid into the filler hole plug until the transmission fluid overflows.
Less waste ???? it would be very evident that if you were under the car pumping in the fluid -you would immediately see the fluid trickle out and then stop pumping.
- it's maybe how the dealership does this from under the car on a lift too ??? maybe.

I used the long funnel method and there was more fluid that did spill out when i was doing the "' just a little bit at a time" method- prob due to the delay in the fluid to get down to the reservoir etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm planning to use the long funnel method as well. Just curious why the manual doesn't point out the the rubber plug hole. Thank you for your response.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I changed my transmission oil on my 2018 2WD HRV for the first time and this is how much oil drained out (see picture).

Almost 4qts 11oz?!! Is this right? The owners manual says 3.7 US qts. I was going to use the "measuring method" to fill the transmission oil back but after seeing this, I used 4qts using the long funnel method thru the rubber plug hole to refill the transmission oil. I've read in previous posts that the factory overfills the transmission oil but THIS MUCH?!
Is there something I should know about? Should I add more transmission oil? I didn't check the fill plug but if the owners manual says 3.7 US qts. and this much oil came out, I figured 4 qts is fine? Please let me know if there is something I should know about? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I changed my transmission oil on my 2018 2WD HRV for the first time and this is how much oil drained out (see picture). View attachment 30318
Almost 4qts 11oz?!! Is this right? The owners manual says 3.7 US qts. I was going to use the "measuring method" to fill the transmission oil back but after seeing this, I used 4qts using the long funnel method thru the rubber plug hole to refill the transmission oil. I've read in previous posts that the factory overfills the transmission oil but THIS MUCH?!
Is there something I should know about? Should I add more transmission oil? I didn't check the fill plug but if the owners manual says 3.7 US qts. and this much oil came out, I figured 4 qts is fine? Please let me know if there is something I should know about? Thanks in advance!
Whenever I change the fluid, just about 4 quarts always drains out so I have always put 4 quarts in. The first time I did it about 4 quarts came out and that is what the factory put in. Perhaps they overfilled yours or your car was not on level ground when you drained it. Since the spec says 3.7 quarts, I figured 4 quarts would be fine.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts