Honda HR-V Forum banner

81 - 84 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Whenever I change the fluid, just about 4 quarts always drains out so I have always put 4 quarts in. The first time I did it about 4 quarts came out and that is what the factory put in. Perhaps they overfilled yours or your car was not on level ground when you drained it. Since the spec says 3.7 quarts, I figured 4 quarts would be fine.
Thanks for your response. I jacked up the car to take the drain plug out but brought it down to level to let it drain out. I also put 4qts. in so I figure it should be fine. Just amazed that much oil came out of the transmission when they say overfilling could hurt the transmission.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thanks for your response. I jacked up the car to take the drain plug out but brought it down to level to let it drain out. I also put 4qts. in so I figure it should be fine. Just amazed that much oil came out of the transmission when they say overfilling could hurt the transmission.
Perhaps the jacking method accounts for the difference in the amount of fluid drained. Since the HR-V does not have a convenient jacking point in the center of the front of the car, I jack it up from the driver's side just enough to get a wrench and pan under it. I leave it jacked while draining so it is tilted slightly towards the passenger side, away from the drain plug, so less fluid is likely to come out. No problems yet.

·
Registered
234 Posts
There are a lot of posts here that people claim their transmission was overfilled in the first place - just do the correct process to refill to and you will be okay. ( remember to run through all the gears before that level check).
youy could always crawl back under after a few days of drving and check the level from below if you think you overfilled. Always check on level ground of course too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There are a lot of posts here that people claim their transmission was overfilled in the first place - just do the correct process to refill to and you will be okay. ( remember to run through all the gears before that level check).
youy could always crawl back under after a few days of drving and check the level from below if you think you overfilled. Always check on level ground of course too.
After seeing how much transmission fluid the factory initially installed, (4qts. 11oz) I was afraid I underfilled. The manual says 3.7 qts. Thanks for your response.

81 - 84 of 84 Posts