Honda HR-V Forum banner

81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Whenever I change the fluid, just about 4 quarts always drains out so I have always put 4 quarts in. The first time I did it about 4 quarts came out and that is what the factory put in. Perhaps they overfilled yours or your car was not on level ground when you drained it. Since the spec says 3.7 quarts, I figured 4 quarts would be fine.
Thanks for your response. I jacked up the car to take the drain plug out but brought it down to level to let it drain out. I also put 4qts. in so I figure it should be fine. Just amazed that much oil came out of the transmission when they say overfilling could hurt the transmission.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thanks for your response. I jacked up the car to take the drain plug out but brought it down to level to let it drain out. I also put 4qts. in so I figure it should be fine. Just amazed that much oil came out of the transmission when they say overfilling could hurt the transmission.
Perhaps the jacking method accounts for the difference in the amount of fluid drained. Since the HR-V does not have a convenient jacking point in the center of the front of the car, I jack it up from the driver's side just enough to get a wrench and pan under it. I leave it jacked while draining so it is tilted slightly towards the passenger side, away from the drain plug, so less fluid is likely to come out. No problems yet.

·
Registered
306 Posts
There are a lot of posts here that people claim their transmission was overfilled in the first place - just do the correct process to refill to and you will be okay. ( remember to run through all the gears before that level check).
youy could always crawl back under after a few days of drving and check the level from below if you think you overfilled. Always check on level ground of course too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There are a lot of posts here that people claim their transmission was overfilled in the first place - just do the correct process to refill to and you will be okay. ( remember to run through all the gears before that level check).
youy could always crawl back under after a few days of drving and check the level from below if you think you overfilled. Always check on level ground of course too.
After seeing how much transmission fluid the factory initially installed, (4qts. 11oz) I was afraid I underfilled. The manual says 3.7 qts. Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
536 Posts
No MM notification but I had the fluid changed by Honda at ~45k miles. The difference is like night and day in how my car runs. In particular, shifting into reverse felt quite clunky/rough, and I also had the excessive vibration issue when the car was in reverse... all of that is gone now.

Hopefully this was not “too late,” and I don’t encounter any CVT problems later on.

·
Registered
2017 Honda HR-V VTi-S 1.8 litre CVT
4 Posts
The following are my experiences with changing the fluid of a CVT transmission on a 2WD 2017 HR-V. The vehicle is approaching 3 years old and has done 42,000 km.

I have had no issues with the transmission. I decided to change the fluid as a precaution based partly on postings on this Forum, but the Owner’s Service Manual for Australian models states that the fluid should be changed every 36 months or 40,000 km. (Australian models do not have a Maintenance Minder System).
  • The fluid was drained, and the quantity measured – 4.5 litres (4.75 US qts)
  • There were no metal filings on the magnet of the drain plug - surprisingly clean in fact – and the fluid had only darkened a little - mid brown is my best description.
  • The quantity of fluid stated in the Honda Workshop Manual for a fluid change is 3.5 litres (3.7 US qts), which is significantly less than the quantity drained. I cannot explain this variation. I did allow the transmission to drain for about 2 hours as it was continuously flowing, albeit slowly. Manual states at least 5 minutes. Could the variation be attributed to the long drain time?
  • The quantity of fluid added on initial re-fill when fluid began to overflow from the check level hole was about 3.5 litres (perhaps this is where the 3.5 litres comes from in the manual?).
  • After warming up the engine/transmission with the car stationary and going through the gear selection sequence, I was able to add the remainder of the container, ie 4.0 litres. No fluid flowed from the check level hole at this stage.
  • However, using my little finger in the check level hole, I was able to tell that the fluid level was close to requirements.
  • Since I was confident that the fluid level was sufficient high to drive the car without causing any damage, I headed off to my local Honda dealer and bought another 4 litre container of HCF-2 fluid (1 litre not available unfortunately) and with the transmission considerably hotter this time because of the run, I repeated the gear selection sequence and added additional fluid until a slight flow emanated from the check level hole. Approximately, an additional 0.3 litres was added, resulting in a total of 4.3 litres (4.5 US qts), still short of the quantity drained.
  • The next day, I realised that I had set the level of the car up on the basis of how it sat on the road, whereas in a workshop situation, the vehicle would be placed on a hoist, with support under the side jacking points. On the road, the front jacking points are about 20 mm lower than the rear jacking points when the vehicle is unladen, ie the vehicle is tipped back slightly on a hoist compared to an unladen vehicle on a flat surface. I repeated the whole fluid level check procedure after a good run to heat the transmission; this time with the jacking points equidistant above the garage floor to replicate a workshop situation. As expected, I was able to add more fluid, but only an additional 0.2 litres or thereabouts, resulting in a total refill quantity of approximately 4.5 litres (4.75 US qts), ie about the same as the quantity drained.
  • For the initial fill, I removed the engine air intake duct and added fluid by means of a funnel and tube into the top filler hole. For the final fill, I realised that it is possible to use a funnel and longer tube fed down from the top of the engine to the side check hole, thereby avoiding the need to remove the duct.
  • I used new crush washers when replacing the plugs, 18 mm for the drain plug & 20 mm for the check level plug and torqued them up as specified in the manual, 36 ft-lbs for the drain plug and 32 ft-lbs for the check level plug.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Is there a trans filter/s on the CVT and there location? I have heard their is two but no other trans I know of has two, so I suspect only one?. To me would think there is a filter/s and running new fluid through a dirty filter which also restricts flow of the trans fluid and would not be good for the trans due to loss of pressure and would cause poor shifting and for sure damage.
So any help as to the filter and the location would be helpful.
Thanks all.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Is there a trans filter/s on the CVT and there location? I have heard their is two but no other trans I know of has two, so I suspect only one?. To me would think there is a filter/s and running new fluid through a dirty filter which also restricts flow of the trans fluid and would not be good for the trans due to loss of pressure and would cause poor shifting and for sure damage.
So any help as to the filter and the location would be helpful.
Thanks all.
I think its internal - there is no external filter on these CVTs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for getting back.
Will check at Honda dealer tomorrow as need rear end fluid too.
Will get a print out of the filter area etc., if able to change and they will print.
Seems to me would be the filter above number one as the Civics' have same engine and would assume the same trans and they used the filter above.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry for my post twice as this forum sure is slow as posting ones reply, so thinking not posting hit the button again.. Also why do I show a bunch of gray circles to the right covering up a bunch of info?

·
Super Moderator
1,419 Posts
Sorry for my post twice as this forum sure is slow as posting ones reply, so thinking not posting hit the button again.. Also why do I show a bunch of gray circles to the right covering up a bunch of info?
I deleted the duplicate posts. Can you share a screen shot of the gray circles?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Thanks for getting back.
Will check at Honda dealer tomorrow as need rear end fluid too.
Will get a print out of the filter area etc., if able to change and they will print.
Seems to me would be the filter above number one as the Civics' have same engine and would assume the same trans and they used the filter above.
I had this R18 engine with an older civic- 2007 and auto trans - not CVT . that civic/transmission had an external filter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Please tell me if you need to change these 2 filters every time you change the transmission fluid?

25450-P4V-013
25420-5T0-003

Or they cannot be changed when changing the transmission fluid.

P.s Sorry.My English is very bad

·
Registered
306 Posts
Please tell me if you need to change these 2 filters every time you change the transmission fluid?

25450-P4V-013
25420-5T0-003

Or they cannot be changed when changing the transmission fluid.

P.s Sorry.My English is very bad
They do not say you have to change either of those -
considering the work required, I would bet the dealer does not change either. One is within the transmission itself- major job to get to that one !
Stick to fluid changes IMO.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I believe the one trans filter is for front wheel drive only where you have take trans pan off and the other filter is for the AWD only. The one that is included in a canister is Front wheel drive and the filter cartridge is all wheel drive i would suspect.
The AWD one is located i believe at front of trans under the battery and battery tray for access have to be removed. I will in time check with Honda dealer near me when I get to them. The 2 filters showing i really do believe one for front wheel drive only and the small round filter for AWD.
MAKES no sense changing trans fluid and not the filter. We change the filter when changing engine oil do we not.
You don't want clean fuild going through a dirty restrictive filter do you.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I believe the one trans filter is for front wheel drive only where you have take trans pan off and the other filter is for the AWD only. The one that is included in a canister is Front wheel drive and the filter cartridge is all wheel drive i would suspect.
The AWD one is located i believe at front of trans under the battery and battery tray for access have to be removed. I will in time check with Honda dealer near me when I get to them. The 2 filters showing i really do believe one for front wheel drive only and the small round filter for AWD.
MAKES no sense changing trans fluid and not the filter. We change the filter when changing engine oil do we not.
You don't want clean fuild going through a dirty restrictive filter do you.
you maybe right- but i searched under a 2017 AWD transmisson part and they both popped up under that search - one is an internal strainer, the other is a filter within the housing behind the heat exchanger for the fluid/coolant.
The FWD only is also a CVT, no ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for your response! Let's wait for more opinions, the question is of course difficult and remains open ...

·
Registered
17 Posts
The AWD CVT fuild also supplies the transfer case for the AWD as they are both are lubes by same fuild, where as the front wheel drive is trans only of course on its own.
The AWD may or may not be a one piece. The trans with transfer case part of it, haven for bid the cost of it.
A Audi Quatro trans are some $22,000 i have heard.
I haven't looked under at the trans yet to see if there is a removable trans pan. I believe it will only be on the front wheel drive only so the filter is located there and one has to remove it to change the filter like many other auto's. The AWD is in the oil cooler at the front of trans under battery etc..
The transmissions are really 2 different animal's. To me, makes no sense 2 filters in one transmission only one in each.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Although the amount required is 4.2 qts initial fill and total fill in the AWD i believe Amsoil states on their site. I will when time comes, measure what drains out to see if over or under filled by the Honda dealer that did as they said a service just before we bought it. I will do it twice to insure all one type of lub and 5hat is the Amsoil CVT fuild. I rear will have to be the Honda as Amsoil has nothing yet for it. The Honda fuild is I believe semi synthetic only. Amsoil would be far superior I believe. In fact their engine oil is like wise. I will use a 5W30 and not a 0W20 as called for in the engine. Why you ask, listen to all the cars and trucks using 5w20 and 0w20 to the noisy top end rockers etc. Listen when at a stop light when hot, to them, very noisy as was on my wife's old 2007 which had the same 1.8 engine in it.

81 - 100 of 104 Posts