Honda HR-V Forum banner
101 - 120 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
The picture is of the front wheel drive correct.?
Anyone have the AWD transmission picture and part numbers?

Not sure what you are asking?

This thread has a ton of info on the HRV CVT trans fluid, drain and refill and the 2 CVT transmission filters.

·
Registered
372 Posts
You are texting instead of posting.

Post 89 in this thread shows the 2 CVT transmission fluid filters and p/n's.
The HRV CVT transmission is identical for FWD and AWD, other than the center differential.

I recommend to fully read this thread and the other CVT trans threads.

Reactions: John35g

·
Registered
7 Posts
There is nothing in the Honda factory service manual about any "special conditioner", nor have I ever read or heard of such. Perhaps some dealers have some "snake oil" they use to jack up the price of transmission service.
I changed my transmission oil on my 2018 2WD HRV for the first time and this is how much oil drained out (see picture). View attachment 30318
Almost 4qts 11oz?!! Is this right? The owners manual says 3.7 US qts. I was going to use the "measuring method" to fill the transmission oil back but after seeing this, I used 4qts using the long funnel method thru the rubber plug hole to refill the transmission oil. I've read in previous posts that the factory overfills the transmission oil but THIS MUCH?!
Is there something I should know about? Should I add more transmission oil? I didn't check the fill plug but if the owners manual says 3.7 US qts. and this much oil came out, I figured 4 qts is fine? Please let me know if there is something I should know about? Thanks in advance!
I filled up a gallon jug and still had some left in the container I drained it out into. I had more than 4 quarts as well. I just put 4 quarts in and called it good. Mine was overfilled too. I drove the car around and everything seemed fine with the 4 quarts.

·
Registered
372 Posts
There have been several folks post that they filled up their CVT trans by guessing how much to put in.

I get that there are many folks that don't have an automotive and/or technical background but I don't understand this guessing.

Would you guess how much engine oil to put in an engine and never check the dipstick?
IMO, this is the same thing.

Level the HRV, remove the front side CVT fluid level check plug, add fluid until it reaches the fluid level check hole.
Loosely install the level check plug. Start the engine, run it thru the gears. Shut it down.
Wait a few minutes, remove the level check plug. Add more fluid if necessary.

Now the CVT fluid level is absolutely correct. Regardless of front wheel drive or AWD CVT trans, which take different amounts of fluid.
It's so simple and NO guessing!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Changed the CVT trans fluid on our recently purchased 2016 2wd HRV today. 50, 000km/30, 000miles on it.

Not hard, just time consuming. I found it easier to remove the air intake tube between the air filter and the rad support to make the fill plug easily accessible.
I hate that huge useless air intake resonator and am tempted to toss it all out but this thing is still on full warranty for another 10 months.
I'm hoping I don't mod our HRV unlike all our other vehicles. :)
At least it is a cold air intake, draws air from behind the grill, in front of the radiator.

The fluid came out very dark. I'm sure it's never been changed before. Minimal metal fuzz on the magnetic drain plug.
Our 2wd CVT took 3.6L. Cdn$20/L at our local Honda dealer.

The under engine plastic tray was missing most of the screws and plastic clips.
We have another Honda, so I have a ton of these spare clips on hand.

Thanks to everyone for all the info in this thread.

Edit: Added a pic of the CVT fluid that came out.

View attachment 29815

Our 2016 HRV 2wd CVT now has 75000km/46000miles total on it.
25000km/16000miles in the 16months we have owned it and when I last changed the CVT fluid.
We didn't drive it at all last summer plus Covid lockdown since last March.

I changed the engine oil and filter last week, plus a full check of the vehicle.
I use 10W-30 conventional oil and Wix oil filters.

With the front of the HRV jacked up, you can remove the CVT level check plug and dip your finger into the hole to check the quality of the CVT fluid.
It's now fairly dark at only 25000km/16000miles.
New Honda HCF-2 CVT fluid is nearly perfectly clear.

A little concerning. I'm thinking I'm going to change the CVT fluid in the near future.
I think we concluded that changing the CVT fluid every 40000km/25000miles was a good interval but now I'm re-thinking that.
I'm sure the CVT fluid had never been changed in our HRV prior to us purchasing it. That could explain why the fluid is now fairly dark at low miles.

I haven't replaced the 2 CVT trans fluid filters, I'm thinking its too early for that.

The HRV CVT trans reliability is a concern so I'm watching the fluid closely.

Reactions: SlowFosho

·
Registered
216 Posts
Our 2016 HRV 2wd CVT now has 75000km/46000miles total on it.
25000km/16000miles in the 16months we have owned it and when I last changed the CVT fluid.
We didn't drive it at all last summer plus Covid lockdown since last March.

I changed the engine oil and filter last week, plus a full check of the vehicle.
I use 10W-30 conventional oil and Wix oil filters.

With the front of the HRV jacked up, you can remove the CVT level check plug and dip your finger into the hole to check the quality of the CVT fluid.
It's now fairly dark at only 25000km/16000miles.
New Honda HCF-2 CVT fluid is nearly perfectly clear.

A little concerning. I'm thinking I'm going to change the CVT fluid in the near future.
I think we concluded that changing the CVT fluid every 40000km/25000miles was a good interval but now I'm re-thinking that.
I'm sure the CVT fluid had never been changed in our HRV prior to us purchasing it. That could explain why the fluid is now fairly dark at low miles.

I haven't replaced the 2 CVT trans fluid filters, I'm thinking its too early for that.

The HRV CVT trans reliability is a concern so I'm watching the fluid closely.
With all the reported CVT problems, although a low percentage of total in use, I decided to change the CVT fluid at every oil change. Extra protection at a small increase in cost and labor, particularly since I do the maintenance myself. Still undecided about the CVT filters.

·
Registered
372 Posts
With all the reported CVT problems, although a low percentage of total in use, I decided to change the CVT fluid at every oil change. Extra protection at a small increase in cost and labor, particularly since I do the maintenance myself. Still undecided about the CVT filters.

I can understand your strategy.
What mileage and what time interval are you changing the engine oil and filter (and CVT fluid)?

I use name brand conventional engine oil in all our vehicles and short oil change intervals.
7000km/4000miles or at least once a year. Whichever comes 1st.
Even changing the CVT fluid every 3rd oil change may be excessive for our HRV.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I can understand your strategy.
What mileage and what time interval are you changing the engine oil and filter (and CVT fluid)?

I use name brand conventional engine oil in all our vehicles and short oil change intervals.
7000km/4000miles or at least once a year. Whichever comes 1st.
Even changing the CVT fluid every 3rd oil change may be excessive for our HRV.
With the reduced driving lately, I have been changing fluids once a year at about 3 or 4 K miles or less using full synthetic oil. Definitely excessive for the CVT but too often can't do any harm. In the old days I would change the oil 4 times a year at 3000 miles and almost never changed the transmission fluid in any of my cars. Brake fluid gets changed every 3 or 4 years along with the differential fluid.

·
Registered
2016 HR-V EX
207 Posts
@Sol you're doing it right.

I posted the latest analysis of my CVT fluid with only 11k km on it on bobistheoilguy.

One of their more experienced members commented he changes his cvt fluid every 3 months or 30k miles

He also wrote:
"As I have stated before a CVT shears oils much more than do manual and step-shift transmissions which is why I recommend more frequent fluid changes than for manual or step-shift transmissions."

Amsoil CVT, 6.9k mi OCI, 72.7k mi, Honda HR-V

101 - 120 of 130 Posts