Honda HR-V Forum banner
141 - 147 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Okay so just finished changing my fluid. I accidentally knocked over an open quart like a dumbass but luckily the 3.8 I had left was enough for it to start leaking out.
I removed just under 4 qts of used oil and it was fairly dark. Overall wasn’t too bad, the annoying part was having to get the plastic shield off. And of course my replacement clips got delayed but I was able to secure the shield back with the previous clips and screws for now.

here’s a photo of my oil.
You can leave the plastic air deflector off. AWDs don't even have them.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Okay so just finished changing my fluid. I accidentally knocked over an open quart like a dumbass but luckily the 3.8 I had left was enough for it to start leaking out.
I removed just under 4 qts of used oil and it was fairly dark. Overall wasn’t too bad, the annoying part was having to get the plastic shield off. And of course my replacement clips got delayed but I was able to secure the shield back with the previous clips and screws for now.

here’s a photo of my oil.

Going by your other posts, you have a 2018 2wd HRV with a CVT trans?
Approx 30 000miles and 4 years on the CVT fluid?

That fluid looks similar to my CVT fluid which also had about 30 000miles and about 4 years on it when I changed it 2 years ago.

I'm glad you used the fluid level check plug rather than measuring how much you drained out.

Of course a 2wd CVT trans only takes about 3.8 US quarts (3.6L) rather than 4+ quarts as mentioned above for an AWD CVT.

Have you had the Honda CVT TSB/Recall completed yet?

Reactions: Bxmoore

·
Registered
2018 Honda Hrv EX
41 Posts
Going by your other posts, you have a 2018 2wd HRV with a CVT trans?
Approx 30 000miles and 4 years on the CVT fluid?

That fluid looks similar to my CVT fluid which also had about 30 000miles and about 4 years on it when I changed it 2 years ago.

I'm glad you used the fluid level check plug rather than measuring how much you drained out.

Of course a 2wd CVT trans only takes about 3.8 US quarts (3.6L) rather than 4+ quarts as mentioned above for an AWD CVT.

Have you had the Honda CVT TSB/Recall completed yet?

Yeah it’s a 2018 EX with 30.1k miles. It was surprisingly easy to do and it saved me over $110 bucks. So I’m not mad at that!!

In regards to the recall, I checked my vin with the Honda database and they told me there is no open recall or service needed according to their data. But I haven’t ever heard of what you mentioned. Was it possibly on the pre2018 models?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yeah it’s a 2018 EX with 30.1k miles. It was surprisingly easy to do and it saved me over $110 bucks. So I’m not mad at that!!

In regards to the recall, I checked my vin with the Honda database and they told me there is no open recall or service needed according to their data. But I haven’t ever heard of what you mentioned. Was it possibly on the pre2018 models?

Honda released the CVT TSB for 2016-2020 HRV's about April 2021.

There are other TSB's for your 2018 EX. Fuel pump and the Start/Stop switch.
Question everything the dealer tells you.

Nice work doing your own maintenance. I recommend to leave the underbody cover installed.

The less time you and your HRV spend at the Honda dealer, the better off you will be. :)

·
Registered
2018 Honda Hrv EX
41 Posts
Honda released the CVT TSB for 2016-2020 HRV's about April 2021.

There are other TSB's for your 2018 EX. Fuel pump and the Start/Stop switch.
Question everything the dealer tells you.

Nice work doing your own maintenance. I recommend to leave the underbody cover installed.

The less time you and your HRV spend at the Honda dealer, the better off you will be. :)
Okay that would make sense then. If it came out April I didn’t buy my HRV until May 2021, so I’m assuming they must have done this update. When I run my vin into the recall status it says my vehicle has no open recalls. Records show it was serviced at the beginning of May, but I’ll probably be calling them today to check.

In regards to maintenance, doing it on my own gives me better piece Of mind knowing it’s actually being done and not half assed for a crazy price. I also am trying to learn more about cars in general.
Next up is my rear differential fluid. I also was told to get my brakes flushed and idk if I’m ready to do that myself 😂😂 that May be a dealership trip.
Also, I will definitely be leaving the underbody cover on. I want to keep those key parts as protected as possible

·
Registered
412 Posts
Okay that would make sense then. If it came out April I didn’t buy my HRV until May 2021, so I’m assuming they must have done this update. When I run my vin into the recall status it says my vehicle has no open recalls. Records show it was serviced at the beginning of May, but I’ll probably be calling them today to check.

In regards to maintenance, doing it on my own gives me better piece Of mind knowing it’s actually being done and not half assed for a crazy price. I also am trying to learn more about cars in general.
Next up is my rear differential fluid. I also was told to get my brakes flushed and idk if I’m ready to do that myself 😂😂 that May be a dealership trip.
Also, I will definitely be leaving the underbody cover on. I want to keep those key parts as protected as possible

Don't assume anything with a used vehicle.
Check the Honda TSB/Recall website with your VIN before calling the dealer.

Didn't you post that your HRV was 2wd?

It has the under engine cover which is a 2wd item only, plus your CVT only took 3.8 US quarts of fluid.

All that points to a 2wd HRV which doesn't have a rear differential. :)
One of several advantages of a 2wd HRV over an AWD HRV!

·
Administrator
1,509 Posts
I also was told to get my brakes flushed and idk if I’m ready to do that myself 😂😂 that May be a dealership trip.
You don't only need a 2nd person to press on the brake pedal for a flush. It's easy. Watch a couple videos on YouTube.

141 - 147 of 147 Posts