Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seeing a surprising amount of complaints about CVT transmission problems in 2016 Honda HRV and I felt compelled to report my incident. I own a 2016 HRV LE with 100,200 miles. Two weeks ago I had left work and was driving 30 miles per hour on a Main Street when I started losing all power and multiple warning lights (engine, brake system, etc) went off. I was able to turn the car off and on but not engage it in gear. Interestingly, when the tow truck driver arrived, he was able to drive it forward. It was towed to my local Honda Dealership and i was informed it was a shift speed sensor but when connection looked at it checked out fine. Only possible cause was a loose positive battery cable which was then tightened. The car codes were reset. I drove it another 190 miles. Two weeks later I 2 hours away from home when the second incident happened. I had gotten off the freeway and was driving 45 mph when I lost all power. I luckily was able to pull over safely. None of the dashboard lights went off. I was not able to engage the car in either drive or reverse mode. I had it towed 120 miles back to my home and to the same dealership. I was told my transmission was completely out and there are lots of metal shavings in the transmission fluid. They gave me an estimate of $6,500 to fix car. I am currently investigating why they didn’t check the Transmission fluid the first time around when apparently they did a thorough multi point inspection. My husband has a 1993 Honda Civic SI with 220k miles and has not had his transmission broken down. Not sure if there is a faulty transmission but as I’m reading all the complaints on this forum I am now thinking it may be....

·
Registered
462 Posts
I know it sucks since the car is only about 4 years old- but 100,000 miles is pretty good IMO.I never had a car with more than 90,000 in my life- and I have owned some for over 10 years. I think their inspection was done poorly becuase it was the dealership,,and you had a lot of miles on it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Honda quality is resting on it's laurels of yesteryear. They need new management, but it'll be tough to get back on the quality track.

I'd suggest 300 000 miles is the new norm. 100 000 miles was the standard in the 1950s.

·
Super Moderator
1,775 Posts
For long time Honda owners, anything less than 200K is unacceptable.

·
Registered
210 Posts
For long time Honda owners, anything less than 200K is unacceptable.

Agreed. I got 175,000 miles on 2 Accords before needing a tranny rebuild and that was many years ago. Transmission reliability and durability should be getting better and not worse. That has certainly been the case for engines, suspensions and related components. I remember changing ignition parts, shocks, universals and ball joints on a regular basis. No more; my timing light, dwell meter and spark plug wrench are all gathering dust. Even the rubber hoses and belts last so much longer than they used to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am seeing a surprising amount of complaints about CVT transmission problems in 2016 Honda HRV and I felt compelled to report my incident. I own a 2016 HRV LE with 100,200 miles. Two weeks ago I had left work and was driving 30 miles per hour on a Main Street when I started losing all power and multiple warning lights (engine, brake system, etc) went off. I was able to turn the car off and on but not engage it in gear. Interestingly, when the tow truck driver arrived, he was able to drive it forward. It was towed to my local Honda Dealership and i was informed it was a shift speed sensor but when connection looked at it checked out fine. Only possible cause was a loose positive battery cable which was then tightened. The car codes were reset. I drove it another 190 miles. Two weeks later I 2 hours away from home when the second incident happened. I had gotten off the freeway and was driving 45 mph when I lost all power. I luckily was able to pull over safely. None of the dashboard lights went off. I was not able to engage the car in either drive or reverse mode. I had it towed 120 miles back to my home and to the same dealership. I was told my transmission was completely out and there are lots of metal shavings in the transmission fluid. They gave me an estimate of $6,500 to fix car. I am currently investigating why they didn’t check the Transmission fluid the first time around when apparently they did a thorough multi point inspection. My husband has a 1993 Honda Civic SI with 220k miles and has not had his transmission broken down. Not sure if there is a faulty transmission but as I’m reading all the complaints on this forum I am now thinking it may be....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update.
I found a used transmission with under 10k miles and my personal mechanic will be doing the work at the fraction of the price charged by Honda dealership. I will be getting rid of the car once I fix it.
Shockingly I was told today by a service rep that there are having issues with CVT transmissions in years 2015-2018 models!!! There aren’t any recalls yet but I suspect if enough consumers with transmission issues file a complaint, Honda may take action. I went ahead and called the Honda headquarters and filed a formal complaint & also filed a complaint with NHTSA for safety concerns cus I was almost rear ended the second time I lost power.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Sorry to hear your CVT trans failed.

So... 2016 HRV, 100k miles without changing the CVT trans fluid or the trans filters?

The CVT trans fluid was likely like black tar.
IMO, its a miracle the CVT trans made it that far.

Reactions: John35g

·
Registered
462 Posts
Sorry to hear your CVT trans failed.

So... 2016 HRV, 100k miles without changing the CVT trans fluid or the trans filters?

The CVT trans fluid was likely like black tar.
IMO, its a miracle the CVT trans made it that far.
Mine was very black at only 20,000 miles.Tar is right !

·
Registered
462 Posts
CVT are smaller and lighter, and more effiecnt than a standard transmission -also they are banned in F1 as they would have an unfair advantage ....its great technology actually that has been in use in other fields (HVAC) for years too.

·
Banned
609 Posts
"Smaller" and "lighter"...I don't think so. More efficent? CVT's are 87% efficent, while manual transmissions are 100% efficient. "CVTs, along with several other electronic systems and driver aids were prohibited from Formula 1 in 1994 due to concerns over escalating research and development costs, and maintaining a specific level of driver involvement with the vehicles.[3] . An "unfair advantage" had nothing to do with it

·
Registered
462 Posts
"Smaller" and "lighter"...I don't think so. More efficent? CVT's are 87% efficent, while manual transmissions are 100% efficient. "CVTs, along with several other electronic systems and driver aids were prohibited from Formula 1 in 1994 due to concerns over escalating research and development costs, and maintaining a specific level of driver involvement with the vehicles.[3] . An "unfair advantage" had nothing to do with it
100% ???? you are way off !

·
Banned
609 Posts
I was wrong...A CVT is 88% efficent. A manual transmission only looses efficiency through oiled gears (friction)....read up on it. Only recentely, automatic transmissions get better MPG numbers than manual trausnissions....but CVT's have a ways to go. They are better at 1 thing....keeping RPM's in an engines most favorable RPM range while speed is still variable. I grew up with CVT's in snowmobiles (where they were a constant problem and got poor mileage)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Reading all these issues with the transmission is making me nervous. I have a 2016 EX with 109, + miles. Maybe I need to trade it in before I have an issue. Today while driving I had the dashboard light up with -steering wheel, brake system , ABS, tire, lights all on the car drive fine. When I parked and shut it off and turned it back on the lights returned. When I did it again and started to drive the went off. Not trusting it!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Reading all these issues with the transmission is making me nervous. I have a 2016 EX with 109, + miles. Maybe I need to trade it in before I have an issue. Today while driving I had the dashboard light up with -steering wheel, brake system , ABS, tire, lights all on the car drive fine. When I parked and shut it off and turned it back on the lights returned. When I did it again and started to drive the went off. Not trusting it!
I recommend to take your HRV to the Honda dealer to service the CVT trans.

Replace both CVT trans filters and fluid.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I was wrong...A CVT is 88% efficent. A manual transmission only looses efficiency through oiled gears (friction)....read up on it. Only recentely, automatic transmissions get better MPG numbers than manual trausnissions....but CVT's have a ways to go. They are better at 1 thing....keeping RPM's in an engines most favorable RPM range while speed is still variable. I grew up with CVT's in snowmobiles (where they were a constant problem and got poor mileage)
I was thinking you quoted about automatic VS CVT..... sorry. I wouldnt compare manual to CVT ......CVT Vs tradional automatic is what I was comparing with reagrds to size and efficiency..

1 - 20 of 42 Posts