Honda HR-V Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a 19 and from what I read, they made significant changes starting in 19 for the better long run....but this will be my last Honda for sure....

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am seeing a surprising amount of complaints about CVT transmission problems in 2016 Honda HRV and I felt compelled to report my incident. I own a 2016 HRV LE with 100,200 miles. Two weeks ago I had left work and was driving 30 miles per hour on a Main Street when I started losing all power and multiple warning lights (engine, brake system, etc) went off. I was able to turn the car off and on but not engage it in gear. Interestingly, when the tow truck driver arrived, he was able to drive it forward. It was towed to my local Honda Dealership and i was informed it was a shift speed sensor but when connection looked at it checked out fine. Only possible cause was a loose positive battery cable which was then tightened. The car codes were reset. I drove it another 190 miles. Two weeks later I 2 hours away from home when the second incident happened. I had gotten off the freeway and was driving 45 mph when I lost all power. I luckily was able to pull over safely. None of the dashboard lights went off. I was not able to engage the car in either drive or reverse mode. I had it towed 120 miles back to my home and to the same dealership. I was told my transmission was completely out and there are lots of metal shavings in the transmission fluid. They gave me an estimate of $6,500 to fix car. I am currently investigating why they didn’t check the Transmission fluid the first time around when apparently they did a thorough multi point inspection. My husband has a 1993 Honda Civic SI with 220k miles and has not had his transmission broken down. Not sure if there is a faulty transmission but as I’m reading all the complaints on this forum I am now thinking it may be....
I had the exact same issue with my 2016 HRV today and almost got rearended on I-10 with cars going 80 mph when my car stalled. Towed it an hour to a dealer to be told the transmission repair will be 5k. I have all my maintenance minder done at the dealer, with the most recent appointment being 2 WEEKS ago. My car has 69,000 miles. Needing a new transmission at 70k miles when the car has been maintained by the dealer ever since I got it brand new is absurd.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I have trusted the MM except for CVT fluid change. When MM did not indicate at 32k, I had it changed. Keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am seeing a surprising amount of complaints about CVT transmission problems in 2016 Honda HRV and I felt compelled to report my incident. I own a 2016 HRV LE with 100,200 miles. Two weeks ago I had left work and was driving 30 miles per hour on a Main Street when I started losing all power and multiple warning lights (engine, brake system, etc) went off. I was able to turn the car off and on but not engage it in gear. Interestingly, when the tow truck driver arrived, he was able to drive it forward. It was towed to my local Honda Dealership and i was informed it was a shift speed sensor but when connection looked at it checked out fine. Only possible cause was a loose positive battery cable which was then tightened. The car codes were reset. I drove it another 190 miles. Two weeks later I 2 hours away from home when the second incident happened. I had gotten off the freeway and was driving 45 mph when I lost all power. I luckily was able to pull over safely. None of the dashboard lights went off. I was not able to engage the car in either drive or reverse mode. I had it towed 120 miles back to my home and to the same dealership. I was told my transmission was completely out and there are lots of metal shavings in the transmission fluid. They gave me an estimate of $6,500 to fix car. I am currently investigating why they didn’t check the Transmission fluid the first time around when apparently they did a thorough multi point inspection. My husband has a 1993 Honda Civic SI with 220k miles and has not had his transmission broken down. Not sure if there is a faulty transmission but as I’m reading all the complaints on this forum I am now thinking it may be....
Same happened to me at 92000 miles. Metal shavings, same price to fix. I have had several hondas. Never had a problem before.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wife had the same problem with her 2016 HRV was driving to work she noticed it was losing power . So she got off from the freeway . Then HRV didn’t want to move anymore Had it tow home. Drained the transmission had tons of metal shaving . We would have the transmission service every 6 months And still went out. Something was telling me from the beginning not to order this HRV WHEN IT FIRST CAME OUT because they were being build in Mexico. I guess I was right . Now to Get it fix Cost half of the it worth that crazy . Called the dealer ship they only have life time warranty on engine they knew what they were doing there .

·
Registered
1 Posts
I guess my number came up. 2017 HRV AWD with 59K. Serviced by Honda for everything recommended. Transmission went out quite suddenly and I came to a stop and that was all she wrote, except for quickly building line of angry drivers behind. Towed to the dealership and got the call it is indeed the transmission. Luckily they will cover costs while putting in the Honda remanufactured transmission. As a added frustration this dealership which is quite large doesn’t have a loaner car available yet. To many stories of sudden cvt failure for me will always be in the back of my mind. Will be trading in no more cvt for me.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I guess my number came up. 2017 HRV AWD with 59K. Serviced by Honda for everything recommended. Transmission went out quite suddenly and I came to a stop and that was all she wrote, except for quickly building line of angry drivers behind. Towed to the dealership and got the call it is indeed the transmission. Luckily they will cover costs while putting in the Honda remanufactured transmission. As a added frustration this dealership which is quite large doesn’t have a loaner car available yet. To many stories of sudden cvt failure for me will always be in the back of my mind. Will be trading in no more cvt for me.
Sorry to hear. At what mileage intervals did you have your transmission fluid changed?

·
Registered
4 Posts
A few weeks ago I was driving to work on the highway and my rpms revved up, all the dashboard lights came on, and I lost acceleration. I had the car towed to the local Honda dealership. They told me that the transmission fluid had released all over the engine. They said they checked the transmission but it was ok. They cleaned the vent tube and replaced the trans fluid. The total cost was $368.

A week and a half later I was once again driving on the highway and the same thing happened but this time they told me that the transmission was shot. Total cost to replace would be $6,500. I contacted Honda corporate and filed a claim just to see if I would get lucky. Corporate contacted me the next week and told me they would not help out at all. I asked why and he told me he didn't have to give me a reason why. He then told me since the high mileage, which is mostly highway miles, and that I never had it serviced at Honda they would not help me out.

I contacted the dealership and they ended up knocking $400 off the labor cost. Final cost to replace was $6,156.58

Maybe it was my fault since I never changed the transmission fluid but the MM never displayed the code.

I also used the paddle shifters on a regular basis to accelerate to pass vehicles. I'm not sure whether this affects the transmission but if it does then why to they put them on cars to begin with?

Needless to say I am done with Hondas. I have purchased 3 brand new Hondas over a 30 year period and corporate new that but still did not want to help out.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Facts are transmission fluid, as all fluids in a modern car, need to be changed on a regular basis. They lose their ability to protect over time. See the fine manual. It shows a '3' code would indicate the need to change the transmission fluid, and under sever conditions that would be every 25,000 miles.

·
Registered
293 Posts
A few weeks ago I was driving to work on the highway and my rpms revved up, all the dashboard lights came on, and I lost acceleration. I had the car towed to the local Honda dealership. They told me that the transmission fluid had released all over the engine. They said they checked the transmission but it was ok. They cleaned the vent tube and replaced the trans fluid. The total cost was $368.

A week and a half later I was once again driving on the highway and the same thing happened but this time they told me that the transmission was shot. Total cost to replace would be $6,500. I contacted Honda corporate and filed a claim just to see if I would get lucky. Corporate contacted me the next week and told me they would not help out at all. I asked why and he told me he didn't have to give me a reason why. He then told me since the high mileage, which is mostly highway miles, and that I never had it serviced at Honda they would not help me out.

I contacted the dealership and they ended up knocking $400 off the labor cost. Final cost to replace was $6,156.58

Maybe it was my fault since I never changed the transmission fluid but the MM never displayed the code.

I also used the paddle shifters on a regular basis to accelerate to pass vehicles. I'm not sure whether this affects the transmission but if it does then why to they put them on cars to begin with?

Needless to say I am done with Hondas. I have purchased 3 brand new Hondas over a 30 year period and corporate new that but still did not want to help out.

^^ Ran the 2016 HRV CVT trans low on fluid.
No CVT fluid or filter changes for 116 000miles.
Honda's suck.

There are folks on this forum that have stated they are changing their CVT trans fluid every oil change.
Compare that with never in 5+ years/ 116000 miles.

For anyone else, a good used HRV CVT trans would have been a much cheaper option.
I see low mile 2018/2019 HRV CVT transmissions available everywhere for about US$1100/ Cdn$1300.
Even at US$1000 to swap the trans, ends up being way less than US$6000, albeit with much less warranty support.

Check your CVT fill plug and vent every time you fill up with fuel.

Reactions: gyver65

·
Registered
4 Posts
"Check your CVT fill plug and vent every time you fill up with fuel."

I never knew about the vent until my trans fluid released itself all over the engine. I figured after the dealership refilled the fluid, the transmission would have lasted longer than a week and a half.

·
Registered
492 Posts
If you drive any other car for 110k miles without transmission service especially if a manual transmission, it would fail too. This isn’t Honda’s fault although I am not saying the transmission is bulletproof.

·
Registered
293 Posts
"Check your CVT fill plug and vent every time you fill up with fuel."

I never knew about the vent until my trans fluid released itself all over the engine. I figured after the dealership refilled the fluid, the transmission would have lasted longer than a week and a half.

Sorry if my previous post was a bit blunt.

There are many folks that have had a 199x Honda Civic, manual trans, zero options. Drove it for 200 000miles, no problems, replaced the battery once and opened it's hood twice in 20 years.

I don't think any modern vehicle, including Honda's, will duplicate nor tolerate that.
Not any CVT trans, not any direct injected engine, not any turbo engine, not the electronics.

I also think that automatic transmission technology is in transition. 9 & 10 speed traditional automatic transmissions, CVT's, DCT's and likely a few more.
Until these transmissions have been around for many more years, they are going to be problematic.
I suspect some of these technologies may even be abandoned in the future.

We have a Dodge Cummins diesel. In the old days a Cummins diesel would run for 500 000miles with little issue.
No modern Cummins diesel will do that.

At least the HRV 1.8L port injected engine, is totally solid and reliable.
This is not necessarily the case with other Honda engines and with other manufacturer engines.

Reactions: gyver65

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry if my previous post was a bit blunt.

There are many folks that have had a 199x Honda Civic, manual trans, zero options. Drove it for 200 000miles, no problems, replaced the battery once and opened it's hood twice in 20 years.

I don't think any modern vehicle, including Honda's, will duplicate nor tolerate that.
Not any CVT trans, not any direct injected engine, not any turbo engine, not the electronics.

I also think that automatic transmission technology is in transition. 9 & 10 speed traditional automatic transmissions, CVT's, DCT's and likely a few more.
Until these transmissions have been around for many more years, they are going to be problematic.
I suspect some of these technologies may even be abandoned in the future.

We have a Dodge Cummins diesel. In the old days a Cummins diesel would run for 500 000miles with little issue.
No modern Cummins diesel will do that.

At least the HRV 1.8L port injected engine, is totally solid and reliable.
This is not necessarily the case with other Honda engines and with other manufacturer engines.
Your comments are well taken and with some very good advice. I hope that other people can learn from my hard learned lesson of not maintaining my CVT trans. At least I now have a 36,0000 mile warranty on the new transmission but I will now do a better job of maintaining it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ouch! At that price, I would've sold it to a "we buy junk cars" yard for $500 and bought something else.

A single good salesman at the store I worked at can sell 20 cars a month. A great salesman can sell double that. Automakers want customers who will lease or buy a new car every 2-3 years. You bought 3 cars over 30 years. Suffice it to say, you're not their idea of a good customer so that's why they aren't willing to help you.

For us long-haulers that keep cars well past the warranty period, if you're not the type that moves to a new city every couple years, I'd build a rapport with an independent mechanic. After my stint at a dealership, I moved to an indy. We did a lot of Jasper engines and Street Smart transmissions.

We went out of our way to help our customers. The owner's rule was that wheelchair vans are top priority, no exceptions. One time, a regular customer brought his wheelchair van on a tow truck. He uses the van to drive his wheelchair-bound daughter around.

Once we realized what the problem was, we didn't want them stuck at the store. The owner paid for a non-emergency medical transport company to pick them up and drive them around for their appointments/errands that day. The owner himself drove to three different places to get the parts we needed because he didn't want to wait for deliveries or risk getting wrong parts.

Face facts.............Honda's CVT is weak.
I'd go further and say that CVTs don't belong in road-going vehicles, except e-CVTs in hybrids. And e-CVTs are not true CVTs to begin with.

Nissan, Subaru, heck, even Polaris and John Deere all have issues with CVTs. Anyone with a RZR or an X4 knows to take a spare CVT belt or two and the tools to change it whenever they go out.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts