Honda HR-V Forum banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
it just happened to me this afternoon at 70K. Very scary!!!

I was driving on the thruway Saturday in the left lane (lots of traffic) and my engine revved and lost power. It put me in a dangerous situation. Honda first said it was a sensor and now states it’s the transmission with metal shavings that have to be cleaned out. 64k miles, 18 months old! They are sending someone to analyze it and see if it will be warranted. From what I’m reading the HRV has transmission problems and I hope Honda does the right thing. The reason I bought a Honda was because people swear by them and I loved the engineering of the HRV. I have always had a Ford until less than 2 years ago. Never had problems except for 1 time after 12 years I had to replace a starter. What Honda does next will determine if they lose a customer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi, Lrock64,

The same exact thing happened to me at 69k miles. I believe over the next few years we will see more posts regarding the HRV transmission failures. The reason it's not recognized by Honda yet is the HRVs are too new. The HRV came out in 2016 ... The failures typically happen over 60K miles and most people only drive only 12 miles a year ... so if you do the math most HRV owners have not put enough miles on their car for it to be an issue yet. I hope Honda helps you. They did absolutely nothing for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
that’s very sad. I don’t know what will happen to my car. I’m pretty sure they close tomorrow and I have to call check it out on Thursday.

I will keep you posted.

Hi, Lrock64,

The same exact thing happened to me at 69k miles. I believe over the next few years we will see more posts regarding the HRV transmission failures. The reason it's not recognized by Honda yet is the HRVs are too new. The HRV came out in 2016 ... The failures typically happen over 60K miles and most people only drive only 12 miles a year ... so if you do the math most HRV owners have not put enough miles on their car for it to be an issue yet. I hope Honda helps you. They did absolutely nothing for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The transmission on my 2016 Honda HRV just broke a belt which destroyed the transmission at 80k miles. I've moved, and I guess that's why I missed the recommendation to get my fluid changed again at 60k miles. Reading online I see that it can lead to transmission problems, but it doesn't seem like it leads to the belt breaking. Does anyone know?

Honda has offered to pay 1/3rd of the replacement but said if I attempt to escalate to corporate they could retract that offer. Has anyone heard of this?

·
Registered
136 Posts
We need more info before we can answer any of your CVT transmission questions.

Original owner of HRV?
Mileage when the CVT fluid was last changed?
Were the CVT trans fluid filters ever replaced?

The lack of trans fluid changing, like the lack of engine oil changing, can definitely cause a failure.

There are tons of wrecked HRV CVT's in US and Canadian auto-wreckers for approx. US$700.
I would research the used CVT trans option also.
Perhaps the Honda dealer will consider installing a used CVT trans if you inquire and are more comfortable with a dealer than an independent shop.

I think the Honda Powertrain warranty is 5 years/100k miles?? But any Powertrain warranty is full of loopholes and nearly worthless unlike the "Bumper to Bumper" warranties.
Since you missed the required CVT trans maintenance (fluid change), the dealer and Honda has likely denied any warranty.

The Honda dealer has likely over-priced the cost of CVT trans replacement and is hoping to get your business with the discount.
Don't forget that the service dept is the most profitable business of most dealerships.

Good luck either way...

·
Registered
5 Posts
We need more info before we can answer any of your CVT transmission questions.

Original owner of HRV?
Mileage when the CVT fluid was last changed?
Were the CVT trans fluid filters ever replaced?

The lack of trans fluid changing, like the lack of engine oil changing, can definitely cause a failure.

There are tons of wrecked HRV CVT's in US and Canadian auto-wreckers for approx. US$700.
I would research the used CVT trans option also.
Perhaps the Honda dealer will consider installing a used CVT trans if you inquire and are more comfortable with a dealer than an independent shop.

I think the Honda Powertrain warranty is 5 years/100k miles?? But any Powertrain warranty is full of loopholes and nearly worthless unlike the "Bumper to Bumper" warranties.
Since you missed the required CVT trans maintenance (fluid change), the dealer and Honda has likely denied any warranty.

The Honda dealer has likely over-priced the cost of CVT trans replacement and is hoping to get your business with the discount.
Don't forget that the service dept is the most profitable business of most dealerships.

Good luck either way...
I’m the original owner. Trans fluid was changed at 30k, I’m not sure about the filter but I’ve had all service done at the dealership so if that’s part of it I think they’d have done it. I’ve read online that the lapse would gunk up the transmission and hurt it internally, but not that it would make the belt break, but maybe that’s wrong?

Honda warranty is 5years/60k miles, so it was out of warranty 20k miles ago. My last honda was a 97 Accord that made it to 190k before my sister wrecked it. It sounds like the new design is more delicate.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Not an HRV, but the CVT in my FIL's Accord just went out at just under 70K miles. It's outside of the powertrain warranty so they're not covering it. He's switching over to Toyota after 40 years owning nothing but Hondas.

For what it's worth, Honda's Achilles heel has always been their automatic transmissions, especially on their higher powered V6 models. I'm not surprised that their CVTs aren't exactly a beacon of reliability.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Lrock64 and Chrisun, yep. Happened to us, too. My daughter was driving the 2016 HRV. Suddenly, with no lights, no warning, car chug, chugs to a stop. Dead. Won't move. Towed to the dealer. Shavings in the transmission! Dealer wants 7 grand! Since power train/mileage warranties, etc. have expired, I am SOL.
Honda dealerships have done maintenance exclusively since I bought this HRV. All visits done as per the Owner's Manual. No one else gets under the hood! I was never notified of a latent defect in these transmissions.
To add insult to injury, the car is still in the five-year payment plan. An obvious lemon, with a defect KNOWN to Honda for which, I suspect, Honda, Inc. was hoping the warranty period would lapse... My third (or fourth) Honda. Buy them for the legendary high trade-in value/resale. Unless Honda does something, my last. After my complaint to headquarters, my case is "under review" (!). Stay tuned.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Fearturtle44, as dealer and manufacturer recommended. I follow the manual religiously, maintenance performed only at dealerships, and recorded--as I want to max on the trade-in value and want a record of it. Be well.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Not an HRV, but the CVT in my FIL's Accord just went out at just under 70K miles. It's outside of the powertrain warranty so they're not covering it. He's switching over to Toyota after 40 years owning nothing but Hondas.

For what it's worth, Honda's Achilles heel has always been their automatic transmissions, especially on their higher powered V6 models. I'm not surprised that their CVTs aren't exactly a beacon of reliability.
But.... many Toyota's now use CVT transmissions also.. :)

I agree that Honda traditional automatic transmissions are not as nearly as reliable as Honda manual transmissions.

·
Registered
136 Posts
..... At what mileage was your transmission fluid changed.
Fearturtle44, as dealer and manufacturer recommended. I follow the manual religiously, maintenance performed only at dealerships, and recorded--as I want to max on the trade-in value and want a record of it. Be well.

^^^ You didn't answer Fearturtle's question...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Honda corporate echoed the regional rep and didn’t offer more help. (But they didn’t retract the original offer as indicated, and corporate said I have 30 days to decide, so worth reaching out.)

I’ve learned a lot over the past week:
1) I spoke to someone at the law firm handling the most recent recall, who searched the National Highway Traffic Safety Association database and didn’t find enough complaints yet for a class action lawsuit. I had no idea I should be reporting there, and I placed a report with them at NHTSA | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

2) Til then, I have to move ahead with replacing the transmission. In the end I had to do it at Honda, because I was informed by other repair shops that these transmissions are so terrible and “basically start out bad”, so they wouldn’t provide their usual warranty - which would mean it would work when I picked it up and no guarantee after that. - This seems like an indication that eventually, as the mileage other hrvs approach the transmissions apparent lifespan of < 90k miles, there will be a recall or lawsuit.

3) When I spoke to their corporate rep he said because I’ve recently moved to the state, I don’t have much of a relationship with this dealership and region, hence they didn’t do much. But also that corporate defers to the regional rep... exactly what I would hope working with a large trusted corporation would safeguard against.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Gwendolyon, thanks for including the NHSTA site! I will also file a report as to the lemon-esque feature of the HRV transmission. The metal shavings inside these transmissions is unacceptable! If it's a known flaw (and other owners claim it is!), HONDA should advise all owners and buyers. Believe me, this is just the start. I am reporting it to NHSTA and will advise all HONDA owners within earshot to beware of this transmission's latent, potential problem. I have contacted HONDA hq. They now tell me as the mileage exceeds the warranty period/mileage, I am SOL. As I purchased it on the 5 year plan and am still making payments on the "corpse," I am fuming! Local dealer wants 7 k for installing a replacement. As of today Honda is reviewing my case. I have also contacted a Class Action firm that specializes in these cases and unless I get a transmission replacement at nominal expense, I am going the class action, hidden Lemon route.
Honda should have had the decency to advise me that these transmissions arrived with this latent problem so that a local dealer could have monitored my HRV for this defect, or in the alternative advised me to trade it in for a newer model. This is my third (or fourth) Honda. It may BE MY LAST! I pay the HONDA premium due to its high resale and/or trade-in value. Right now it sits in our driveway collecting dust, a worthless hunk of metal. I have serviced it exclusively with HONDA dealers so that a maintenance record exists that I religiously took care of this HRV. I am far from impressed from their response or inability to spot this latent problem or warn me it could crop up. Shame on you, HONDA. Be well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Gwendolyon, thanks for including the NHSTA site! I will also file a report as to the lemon-esque feature of the HRV transmission. The metal shavings inside these transmissions is unacceptable! If it's a known flaw (and other owners claim it is!), HONDA should advise all owners and buyers. Believe me, this is just the start. I am reporting it to NHSTA and will advise all HONDA owners within earshot to beware of this transmission's latent, potential problem. I have contacted HONDA hq. They now tell me as the mileage exceeds the warranty period/mileage, I am SOL. As I purchased it on the 5 year plan and am still making payments on the "corpse," I am fuming! Local dealer wants 7 k for installing a replacement. As of today Honda is reviewing my case. I have also contacted a Class Action firm that specializes in these cases and unless I get a transmission replacement at nominal expense, I am going the class action, hidden Lemon route.
Honda should have had the decency to advise me that these transmissions arrived with this latent problem so that a local dealer could have monitored my HRV for this defect, or in the alternative advised me to trade it in for a newer model. This is my third (or fourth) Honda. It may BE MY LAST! I pay the HONDA premium due to its high resale and/or trade-in value. Right now it sits in our driveway collecting dust, a worthless hunk of metal. I have serviced it exclusively with HONDA dealers so that a maintenance record exists that I religiously took care of this HRV. I am far from impressed from their response or inability to spot this latent problem or warn me it could crop up. Shame on you, HONDA. Be well.
If things move forward with that please let me know.

I’m wondering if we should be getting the belts on the transmission changed every 60k miles? People keep asking about the mileage at which you changed your transmission fluid, but I can’t find anything online that indicates that’s what makes a belt break anyways. It would possibly funk up the transmission and in the long run harm it, but in the short run nothing says that’s why the belts break. What I do keep seeing is info for people with off road vehicles (which have cvt transmissions) about needing to change the belt as it warps with time and how heat gradually destroys them. And if this is a ridiculous conclusion, could someone explain the relationship?

41 - 60 of 85 Posts