Honda HR-V Forum banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
If things move forward with that please let me know.

I’m wondering if we should be getting the belts on the transmission changed every 60k miles? People keep asking about the mileage at which you changed your transmission fluid, but I can’t find anything online that indicates that’s what makes a belt break anyways. It would possibly funk up the transmission and in the long run harm it, but in the short run nothing says that’s why the belts break. What I do keep seeing is info for people with off road vehicles (which have cvt transmissions) about needing to change the belt as it warps with time and how heat gradually destroys them. And if this is a ridiculous conclusion, could someone explain the relationship?

You've mentioned a few times that your HRV CVT trans failed because the main belt broke.
How do you know the belt was broken?
Did a mechanic just guess at that conclusion or did he remove your CVT trans from your HRV, disassemble and analyze your failed CVT trans and reach that conclusion?
I don't think there is any way to inspect the CVT trans belt while the trans is still in the HRV.

Of course to change the CVT trans belt, the trans has to be removed and disassembled. Not practical.
The belt itself is a multi-link steel assembly. It's not a 1 piece belt. I don't think it is possible for it to warp.
There numerous dissassembly videos on Youtube for the disastrous Nissan CVT transmissions which are similar to the HRV CVT trans.

I can think of many things of why a CVT trans belt can break.

Perhaps the broken belt was a symptom of the transmission failure and not the cause?
Seized bearing, seized shaft, failed torque converter, failed transaxle/differential, etc, etc,

Perhaps the trans ran low on fluid or the fluid sludged up. The trans then seized up and the belt broke?

Perhaps the drive line and the transmission got "shocked" ?
Spinning one or all the tires on ice or water and then one of the front tires rolled onto dry pavement and grabbed.
Shocked the CVT trans and the belt broke.
Similar if one of the front tires got airborne and then came back to dry pavement and grabbed.

etc, etc..

IMO, it's worthwhile to have good technical discussions to analyze these CVT transmission failures.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You've mentioned a few times that your HRV CVT trans failed because the main belt broke.
How do you know the belt was broken?
Did a mechanic just guess at that conclusion or did he remove your CVT trans from your HRV, disassemble and analyze your failed CVT trans and reach that conclusion?
I don't think there is any way to inspect the CVT trans belt while the trans is still in the HRV.

Of course to change the CVT trans belt, the trans has to be removed and disassembled. Not practical.
The belt itself is a multi-link steel assembly. It's not a 1 piece belt. I don't think it is possible for it to warp.
There numerous dissassembly videos on Youtube for the disastrous Nissan CVT transmissions which are similar to the HRV CVT trans.

I can think of many things of why a CVT trans belt can break.

Perhaps the broken belt was a symptom of the transmission failure and not the cause?
Seized bearing, seized shaft, failed torque converter, failed transaxle/differential, etc, etc,

Perhaps the trans ran low on fluid or the fluid sludged up. The trans then seized up and the belt broke?

Perhaps the drive line and the transmission got "shocked" ?
Spinning one or all the tires on ice or water and then one of the front tires rolled onto dry pavement and grabbed.
Shocked the CVT trans and the belt broke.
Similar if one of the front tires got airborne and then came back to dry pavement and grabbed.

etc, etc..

IMO, it's worthwhile to have good technical discussions to analyze these CVT transmission failures.
Thank you for the breakdown! It’s an interesting idea that the way the tires interact could affect the transmission. My hrv is AWD, so they intend some of the tires to keep going when the other don’t. I’m doing my replacement at Honda, so they’ll have the opportunity to figure out what’s going on if they care to (but I’m guessing they already know).

·
Registered
238 Posts
I think we would need a mechanic that is on this site to post pics of a removed and opened CVT that had failed- to see what actually fails on these transmissions. Maybe one of those You Tube guys that disassembly everything on camera.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was driving on the thruway Saturday in the left lane (lots of traffic) and my engine revved and lost power. It put me in a dangerous situation. Honda first said it was a sensor and now states it’s the transmission with metal shavings that have to be cleaned out. 64k miles, 18 months old! They are sending someone to analyze it and see if it will be warranted. From what I’m reading the HRV has transmission problems and I hope Honda does the right thing. The reason I bought a Honda was because people swear by them and I loved the engineering of the HRV. I have always had a Ford until less than 2 years ago. Never had problems except for 1 time after 12 years I had to replace a starter. What Honda does next will determine if they lose a customer.
Report it here. The more people who report, the more likely they will issue a recall:
In the National Highway Traffic Safety Association database, there aren't enough complaints yet for a class action lawsuit. Place a report with them at NHTSA | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

·
Registered
15 Posts
My transmission went at 66,800k. Honda paid for the parts and I was responsible for the labor 1700$. Not happy. I'm concerned that it will happen again.
Make sure you report it here. The more people who report, the more likely a recall:

The National Highway Traffic Safety Association database doesn't have enough complaints yet for a class action lawsuit. Place a report with them at NHTSA | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had the same thing happen last week. Metal shavings in transmission fluid. They said they never saw this issue. Drained fluid and said I could drive it. This morning 1 day after I got the car back, the transmission failed while on the highway. Barely made it to side of road and got towed. I cannot believe I invested over 20,000$ on a new car that breaks down like that in under 4 years! So disappointed in Honda!
Make sure you report it here. The more people who report, the more likely a recall:

The National Highway Traffic Safety Association database doesn't have enough complaints yet for a class action lawsuit. Place a report with them at NHTSA | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

·
Registered
15 Posts
Lrock64 and Chrisun, yep. Happened to us, too. My daughter was driving the 2016 HRV. Suddenly, with no lights, no warning, car chug, chugs to a stop. Dead. Won't move. Towed to the dealer. Shavings in the transmission! Dealer wants 7 grand! Since power train/mileage warranties, etc. have expired, I am SOL.
Honda dealerships have done maintenance exclusively since I bought this HRV. All visits done as per the Owner's Manual. No one else gets under the hood! I was never notified of a latent defect in these transmissions.
To add insult to injury, the car is still in the five-year payment plan. An obvious lemon, with a defect KNOWN to Honda for which, I suspect, Honda, Inc. was hoping the warranty period would lapse... My third (or fourth) Honda. Buy them for the legendary high trade-in value/resale. Unless Honda does something, my last. After my complaint to headquarters, my case is "under review" (!). Stay tuned.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Got it! ?
Oops! Did not mean to spam the thread. ? Was trying to ping the people who had failed transmissions directly.

I'm on transmission #3 in my 2016 HRV (first one failed in Nov 2018 at 108k miles, second one died in April 2019 at roughly 119k miles - out of pocket cost over $5,000). Details are on the other transmission thread (CVT Transmission Issues - Merged) I have way more mileage than most and was told to keep all of my paperwork and reciepts, but to trigger a recall or lawsuit to get reimbursed more people need to report it to the NHTSA.

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
312 Posts
Oops! Did not mean to spam the thread. ? Was trying to ping the people who had failed transmissions directly.
You could quote multiple people in a single post... all you have to do is hit the quote plus button, and then insert them (the option appears next to preview).

It also confounds me, every time a (new?) member tries to quote someone... they always post the quote as one message... and THEN they post their response as another message... sometimes quoting them again. So quick to act, that they don't see that they should be typing in the reply box before hitting "post reply?"

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Wait, where do we report it?

It happens, this site keeps changing things around... I'm a long time forum user and still have to look twice if I use the actual website.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was driving on the thruway Saturday in the left lane (lots of traffic) and my engine revved and lost power. It put me in a dangerous situation. Honda first said it was a sensor and now states it’s the transmission with metal shavings that have to be cleaned out. 64k miles, 18 months old! They are sending someone to analyze it and see if it will be warranted. From what I’m reading the HRV has transmission problems and I hope Honda does the right thing. The reason I bought a Honda was because people swear by them and I loved the engineering of the HRV. I have always had a Ford until less than 2 years ago. Never had problems except for 1 time after 12 years I had to replace a starter. What Honda does next will determine if they lose a customer.
This exact same thing happened to me in late January. I had many more miles on it, but I found it weird none the less. When I got it checked out, the dealership said they had another HRV at the dealership at the same time with the same issues at about the mileage that yours was at. I’m hoping they can figure this out and reimburse me for the issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
  • 2016 HR-V with 68,982 miles - I brought the vehicle to my local Honda dealership for maintenance (brakes & fluid changes) and ended up replacing the transmission. There were metal shavings in the transmission fluid. I followed the maintenance minder for all required maintenance. Honda Inc said the vehicle was out of warranty. The local dealer includes a lifetime drivetrain warranty with all new vehicle purchases. All work must be performed at the local dealer. After 1 month of emails and phone calls, they’re not covering the any of the cost to replace the transmission. I’ve been a Honda owner for 18 years (6 new vehicle purchases

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry to hear. At what mileage were your transmission fluid changes?
Thank you...When I purchased the HR-V, I asked the dealer about the maintenance schedule for fluids. I was told to follow the maintenance minder. I confirmed their response in the owners manual. The maintenance minder never said to change the transmission fluid. The dealer performed all maintenance for the first 36,000 miles. The 69K+ mileage is all highway. I’ve only changed the oil 6 times over the life of the vehicle. The transmission fluid was never changed. I’m not sure if there’s an issue with the maintenance minder or I haven’t driven far enough for the maintenance minder to require a transmission fluid change.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I’m using the MM mostly but when the MM did not bring up Transmission fluid change by 31k, I had it changed.

I’m surprised your dealer did not recommend change though MM never showed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m using the MM mostly but when the MM did not bring up Transmission fluid change by 31k, I had it changed.

I’m surprised your dealer did not recommend change though MM never showed.
I brought the HR-V in at 29,268 miles for an oil change and they replaced the air and cabin filters. They didn’t recommend any other service. When the transmission failed, they blamed me for not having the transmission fluid changed at 30K miles. I’m still adjusting to not changing the engine oil every 3K miles. When I questioned the maintenance schedule, at the time of purchase, I was told Honda takes credit for being more environmentally friendly. I’m very disappointed in Honda and my local dealer.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts