Honda HR-V Forum banner

101 - 120 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
For a few, they are low end lousy vehicles. But for most, the HRV is a very dependable, high MPG, rather inexpensive CUV.

·
Registered
907 Posts
In the US your Monroney sticker will show you where your engine and transmission were made, and where final assembly was done. I have an early 2016 and both engine and transmission were built in Japan.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Honda started using Indonesia in 2003 for some/most of its transmissions. Not sure how Honda determines what transmission plant to use for certain models/years.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Update on my situation. My extended warranty, 1st Guard, paid for a second-hand transmission and covered the ~$4000 repair. The new transmission comes with a 24k miles warranty, but it already has 45k miles on it, so I'm going to be getting rid of my car pretty soon given how it seems like the 2016 transmission will fail at around 70k miles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow! I was quoted $700! Something doesn’t seem right!?
They also told me it was the sensor at first but when they drained the transmission fluid they found that multiple large metal chunks were contaminated in it and that the transmission itself was going to need replacing. Funny that I only took it in for a maintenance minder 3 weeks prior and they marked "transmission fluid" green! Good luck on your car, definitely have them test it out at highway speed before they return your car because mine would only stall at high speeds (75mph).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was driving on the thruway Saturday in the left lane (lots of traffic) and my engine revved and lost power. It put me in a dangerous situation. Honda first said it was a sensor and now states it’s the transmission with metal shavings that have to be cleaned out. 64k miles, 18 months old! They are sending someone to analyze it and see if it will be warranted. From what I’m reading the HRV has transmission problems and I hope Honda does the right thing. The reason I bought a Honda was because people swear by them and I loved the engineering of the HRV. I have always had a Ford until less than 2 years ago. Never had problems except for 1 time after 12 years I had to replace a starter. What Honda does next will determine if they lose a customer.
This sucks i just did the same in the left lane in my 2017 ex and my transmission died. Now I'm stuck with no car because I have 99,000 miles. I work at Honda and have no car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
They also told me it was the sensor at first but when they drained the transmission fluid they found that multiple large metal chunks were contaminated in it and that the transmission itself was going to need replacing. Funny that I only took it in for a maintenance minder 3 weeks prior and they marked "transmission fluid" green! Good luck on your car, definitely have them test it out at highway speed before they return your car because mine would only stall at high speeds (75mph).
They
See my post to the original post. Same thing happened to me, as well. Shame on Honda!!!!
Same to me no car. Seems everyone is failing on the highway. With a 2017 or older. Thanks HONDA

·
Registered
11 Posts
Glad I got it with a manual I guess! My wife's Buick, jetta, and Fiesta have all had some sort of major transmission issue... Biggest failure I've had in a manual is a clutch at 160k.

I think reading forums to see how reliable a car is can be a bad idea. Most people that have issues go online to vent. People rarely go on a forum to brag about how their economy car is still running fine at 60k miles.
Good point!

·
Registered
2016 HR-V EX
207 Posts
This sucks i just did the same in the left lane in my 2017 ex and my transmission died. Now I'm stuck with no car because I have 99,000 miles. I work at Honda and have no car.
It really does suck when you expect reliability. Sorry to hear this happened.

Just out of curiosity, was the CVT fluid ever changed on your 2017?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Guys are you replacing your transmission fluid? And being a CVT you should probably even change it sooner.

when I bought my dads HRV from him, 2016 at 40,000 miles, he was overdue for a transmission fluid swap and didn’t think anything of it. Same thing with my 2010 CRV, my mom never swapped the transmission fluid and it needed a swappage

and honestly no excuse. If you take it to Honda, they give you a full readout. With my CRV, they found out my differential fluid and brake fluid, and steering fluid were old. Don’t save the money and go to a cheap shop, take it to the damn dealer to analyze
Love to know your dealership takes care of their customers because mine couldn't tell me a damn thing

·
Registered
3 Posts
The transmission on my 2016 Honda HRV just broke a belt which destroyed the transmission at 80k miles. I've moved, and I guess that's why I missed the recommendation to get my fluid changed again at 60k miles. Reading online I see that it can lead to transmission problems, but it doesn't seem like it leads to the belt breaking. Does anyone know?

Honda has offered to pay 1/3rd of the replacement but said if I attempt to escalate to corporate they could retract that offer. Has anyone heard of this?
Yea probably your cvt oil cooler broke and coolant got in it. They don't tell you that because its a bad design and do not want a recall so they blame the owner

·
Registered
3 Posts
If that's the case then tell me why they decided to use an integrated transmission oil cooler that is prone to breaking due to a propeller inside that breaks and once it does you get coolant in your transmission and you need to replace the whole transmission?. If not right away then down the road regardless if you change or flush the fluids. Trans coolers are far from a new concept there was no good reason to make it integrated to the transmission like that. I think they know they fucked up with this one. This hrv I bought used and I think the original owner knew there was a problem and traded it in. Ever since I bought this pos granted I love the design as far as asthects go but it makes me feel like I own a bmw the way they designed this thing.

Mine was overfilled with transmission fluid when I bought it. I've taken it to the dealership due to a vibration 2 or 3 times since I had it. I kept being told nothing was wrong. vehicle is shit and the dealershipThen I took it to them one time maybe a few months into my payments when I noticed a huge hole in the top of my transmission. Low and behold there was a plug sitting on top of the transmission so I put it back in. Did some researched and learned that it is common because there is a check valve that gets clogged and when it does it creates excessive pressure that pops the plug off! I was angry that I did not know this an nobody at the dealership even did as I find out later in my story. Anyway...I panicked and called the dealership so they told me to bring it in. I know I lost some fluid because there was pooling around the hole. Then after my visit the dealership said they checked the fluid and there was no debris in it like I was worried about and the fluid level was fine.
Still have vibration issues, scared that I may have debris in my transmission due to the HUGE GAPING HOLE that was there for a lot of miles without me noticing and the dealership did not notice either because I had it in for oil changes and they never said a thing. I decided to get the filters and fluid replaced for peace of mind. No small shops would touch it. I even tried a few local transmission shops. I saw on the dealership website when I went to set an appointment that they only offer the fluid change nofilter change. I decided to call them and ask if they would do the filters as well an how much it would cost. He said $199.99 an that yes they would do the filters. Well online shows $199.99 for the fluid by itself and he didn't seem to have a clue or care about weather that work would actually get done and couldn't be bothered with even trying to quote it out. I did not believe that they do the filters. Probably charge extra to do it and then says they do when they didn't. Not like you can prove it
Called the parts department and they acted like they didn't even know anything about it. I had to give them the part numbers in order to order everything. Then when I gave him the trans filter strainer part number he proceeded to tell me you replace them without splitting it and it was literally right underneath the pan like any other transmission
The bill was $270 for the fluid and filters and all the gaskets. Just for parts alone imagine with labor and the guy says $200 for the fluid an filter change? As if..
When I went to do the fluid and filter myself I took it to my mechanic friends shop after hours and he helped me. When we cracked the fill plug fluid poured out as if I pulled a drain plug. It shot everywhere so unexpectedly! The fluid level is suppose to be up to that plug nowhere else. Trust me I studied word for word the service manual info I found online said which was made for service technicians in honda service. That just proves they never checked the fluid because if they had they would've been able to pinpoint the reason for all my vibration. Instead I just spent the last half a year trying to figure out myself what was wrong because nobody could ever find anything wrong. Very frustratingThis vehicle is shit and the dealership knows it
Not to mention there is limited information online about these vehicles so the dealer can literally tell you just about anything and you would believe them. I feel terrible for people who bought one of these. I think the only people who like them are people who do not know anything about mechanics and how they work. The more I learn the more I see why this thing is a ticking time bomb....o

·
Registered
13 Posts
i have a 2017 HRV. transmission went out and was replaced end of Sep 2020. Now i've got flashing lights on dash, P, N, etc. Dealer basically tried to not fix it and sent me on my way. It's all in warranty because I have the extended warranty plus the transmission replacement should be a warranty. They refused to pay for my rental car while my car sat at their dealership. The diagnostic code was the torque converter switch stuck on. So they turned off the code, drove the car around, and told me to come get it and pay for my own rental car because no work was done on car. I'll skip what I said but I got the car and drove down the road just a little ways and the lights were back on. No matter what they do it now, I'm hoping to trade this piece of glass in a few months. What can I get that does NOT have a cvt?? Is the subaru version any more reliable than hondas cvt?

·
Super Moderator
1,750 Posts
Current Honda Hybrids don't use CVT. Don't know if HRV hybrid will be available in NA next model year? Mazda doesn't use CVT

·
Registered
13 Posts
thanks!!! i've been looking online and all the prior "good" cars use cvt with very few exceptions. i see mazda mentioned alot. i will consider that one. i would do a truck but they are more expensive. it's such a shame too that all the reliable brands are not really reliable anymore. i have heard subarus are good even with cvt. i guess after they got some things fixed, but I'm still leery.

101 - 120 of 122 Posts