Honda HR-V Forum banner

121 - 137 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Mazda seems to be the way to go to avoid CVTs. If it weren't for the magic seat and high storage capacity, I would be driving a Mazda! I have a 8yr/120K miles Honda Care, hoping for the best.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was driving on the thruway Saturday in the left lane (lots of traffic) and my engine revved and lost power. It put me in a dangerous situation. Honda first said it was a sensor and now states it’s the transmission with metal shavings that have to be cleaned out. 64k miles, 18 months old! They are sending someone to analyze it and see if it will be warranted. From what I’m reading the HRV has transmission problems and I hope Honda does the right thing. The reason I bought a Honda was because people swear by them and I loved the engineering of the HRV. I have always had a Ford until less than 2 years ago. Never had problems except for 1 time after 12 years I had to replace a starter. What Honda does next will determine if they lose a customer.
I had the same problem with my Honda HRV !
transmission blew out in the middle of the freeway and my car stopped on the way to school; putting me in the danger of getting hit by cars behind me.
I towed my car to a honda dealer, and they said the extended warranty that I have purchased does not cover transmission, so I had to pay $3000 out of pocket!
New transmission only has 2 years warranty and I am SUR
After couple of months, my car is acting up again so took it to a repair shop I usually go, and they said transmission’s computer Modules something is not working and needs to be reprogrammed!
in addition, AC starting to act up and wont turn on when weathers is above 100!
I am soo Sad that I purchased 2016 HRV :( what a Piece of Work I have purchased, only cause I was counting on Honda’s reputation!!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I had the same problem with my Honda HRV !
transmission blew out in the middle of the freeway and my car stopped on the way to school; putting me in the danger of getting hit by cars behind me.
I towed my car to a honda dealer, and they said the extended warranty that I have purchased does not cover transmission, so I had to pay $3000 out of pocket!
New transmission only has 2 years warranty and I am SUR
After couple of months, my car is acting up again so took it to a repair shop I usually go, and they said transmission’s computer Modules something is not working and needs to be reprogrammed!
in addition, AC starting to act up and wont turn on when weathers is above 100!
I am soo Sad that I purchased 2016 HRV :( what a Piece of Work I have purchased, only cause I was counting on Honda’s reputation!!
At what mileage did you have your transmission fluid changed? Sorry for your HRV problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
At 94,000 miles, 2016 Honda HR-V, my transmission died in the middle of the Interstate. No warning lights, nothing in the car, just no wheels spinning forward or reverse. I managed to pull over to the side and get towed to the dealership, they want to charge $6500 for this and the car isn't even fully paid off yet. Within the hour of dropping off the car, I was called by a salesman trying to sell me a new vehicle, I was not happy, considering my family almost died with no warning from the car. The dealership wasn't sympathetic at all, I've opened a case with Honda corporate, but after this experience, this is the last Honda I ever buy.

·
Banned
87 Posts
My 2018 HR-V has been perfect. I still think Honda makes a good car, and I am sorry for some people's luck with their cars. It seems to me that car makers switched to the CVT's a couple years to early, before all the bugs were worked out.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Gosh, sorry for your transmission failure. Glad nobody was hurt/injured.

At what mileage(s) did you have the CVT fluid changed?

·
Registered
4 Posts
UPDATE

The Service Manager at my dealer called me Tuesday April 27 that said that Honda had issued an extended warranty on 2016 Honda HR-V transmissions for up to 7 years (It's 150k or 175k miles forgive me I have forgotten the exact mileage, but definite 7 years). The bulletin stated to send an update to the software for the transmission and if the transmission is dead, replace it fully. That being said, I will have a fully replaced transmission for free!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Good news. By chance did they give you a Bulletin #/TSB to research? I can’t find anything on a search.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good news. By chance did they give you a Bulletin #/TSB to research? I can’t find anything on a search.
They didn't they said that Honda just sent the one out overnight on that Tuesday. My mechanic family friend couldn't find anything himself searching his databases. If I had a shot in the dark guess, I know a lot of reports including my own had been filed on the NHTSA site so Honda may be doing it internally to keep it quiet? not sure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
TSB 21-046
Product Update: 2016-20 HR-V Software Update and CVT Inspection

TSB 21-047
Warranty Extension: 2016-20 HR-V CVT Premature Belt Deterioration

Mazda seems to be the way to go to avoid CVTs. If it weren't for the magic seat and high storage capacity, I would be driving a Mazda! I have a 8yr/120K miles Honda Care, hoping for the best.
Mazda's 6-speed SKYACTIVE-Drive automatic is impressively smooth, quick, and reliable. The only negative I can think of is the stigma associated with having "only" 6 speeds even if that's not a significant disadvantage in the real world.

Attachments

·
Registered
306 Posts
The HRV CVT TSB's look legit but still need to be confirmed. Zroger73 has 1 post on this forum.

If legit, this is a game changer and would explain all the HRV CVT failures.

Reactions: zroger73

·
Registered
4 Posts
The fact he found it and what the Service Manager had told me makes sense that they would just now be coming out with the documentation after they said it had been released on the 27th of last month.

·
Registered
91 Posts
When buying our 2018 HRV I knew the CVT was going to be an expensive weak link.

So I guess at 7 years and the warranty is up, you just throw the heap away.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The HRV CVT TSB's look legit but still need to be confirmed. Zroger73 has 1 post on this forum.

If legit, this is a game changer and would explain all the HRV CVT failures.
It's good to "trust, but verify"!

I'm an admin and moderator of other Honda and VerticalScope forums, but I don't spend much time on the HR-V forum. :)

121 - 137 of 137 Posts