Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ANY Honda owners out there who have been told they need a transmission flush every 25,000-30,000 miles? Or were you told transmission maintenance is based on codes? Did you do it? Issues with transmission now? Anyone not do it and car still okay? Need help - car under 64,000 miles and barely 3 years old - transmission went out and claim denied because no transmission fluid was ever changed. Dealership I bought the car from HAD THE CAR there at 28k miles and NEVER recommended a flush because “we do maintenance based on A1, A2 codes”. Trying to gather information for a case.

·
Registered
234 Posts
ANY Honda owners out there who have been told they need a transmission flush every 25,000-30,000 miles? Or were you told transmission maintenance is based on codes? Did you do it? Issues with transmission now? Anyone not do it and car still okay? Need help - car under 64,000 miles and barely 3 years old - transmission went out and claim denied because no transmission fluid was ever changed. Dealership I bought the car from HAD THE CAR there at 28k miles and NEVER recommended a flush because “we do maintenance based on A1, A2 codes”. Trying to gather information for a case.
The 2017 manual states to change when CODE 3 appears then they have a sub note 4 to to replace every 25,000 miles, if used under harsher conditions .

·
Super Moderator
1,577 Posts
The manual said to watch for code unless driving in mountains. If the dealer has been the only one servicing your car. It should be their responsibility. I'm assuming they are the ones that reset the car's service code?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 2017 manual states to change when CODE 3 appears then they have a sub note 4 to to replace every 25,000 miles, if used under harsher conditions .
View attachment 30321
thanks for this! Have never driven in mountain conditions or towed anything behind vehicle - regularly serviced at Honda or Firestone. And have never seen a code on dash.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The manual said to watch for code unless driving in mountains. If the dealer has been the only one servicing your car. It should be their responsibility. I'm assuming they are the ones that reset the car's service code?
i have never driven the car under these harsher conditions and have never towed anything behind it. Service is a mix between Honda Dealership and Firestone. Just wondering why a code was never displayed for this service if it was needed, and why transmission went out when car was never driven in these conditions.

·
Super Moderator
1,577 Posts
You are not the only one with the issue.

If you did all your services with Honda, you might have a case that Honda should have caught the maintenance code.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are not the only one with the issue.

If you did all your services with Honda, you might have a case that Honda should have caught the maintenance code.
Service was a mix between Honda and other places (because who can afford dealership prices every time they need an oil change?) this issue I’m continually seeing is that the handbook does not give time intervals for when transmission fluids should be replaced when driven under normal conditions- only under harsh conditions. When no code 3 displays, how are you supposed to know when to do a flush when the car is regularly maintained (oil, tires, etc) and driven in normal conditions - 2 longer road trips, and a maximum commute of 30 miles working days. It’s complete BS.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Wonder if the Code ever appeared? I waited until 32k and had my fluid changed but never got the code. And I am using the MM for the oil changes, etc.

Thanks to this forum, I knew to have the fluid changed and not wait for the code.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wonder if the Code ever appeared? I waited until 32k and had my fluid changed but never got the code. And I am using the MM for the oil changes, etc.

Thanks to this forum, I knew to have the fluid changed and not wait for the code.
Nope, code never appeared. And I had no clue about the 30k flush timeline - it’s not mentioned in the book, and dealership never mentioned it. Corporate customer service absolutely no help.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Is this the same CVT that's used in the 9th generation Civic (it's the same engine, so I'd imagine it's the same transmission). If so, the B3 code doesn't tend to show up until well past 60K miles, and there doesn't seem to be widespread issues of transmission issues in that car. Methinks this isn't a maintenance issue, but even if it is, it's still a Honda issue for not informing owners that they need to ignore the maintenance minder and instead change the fluid prematurely.

·
Super Moderator
1,577 Posts
Is this the same CVT that's used in the 9th generation Civic (it's the same engine, so I'd imagine it's the same transmission).
No, 9th is still using manual and regular auto trannies. Civics started using CVT with the 10th Gen and a new 2L engine.

·
Super Moderator
1,577 Posts
Some high MPG civics have CVT long before that. Apparently, they made the change during mid model year (9.5 gen) I missed

1 - 14 of 14 Posts