Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like Truck Trend will have a review come out around the time the embargo ends....from Instagram.....http://www.oninstagram.com/hondahrv

"Truck Trend spent the morning tooling around Malibu in the new #HondaHRV, equipped with the six-speed manual transmission, and we enjoyed it. Read more about the all-new @Honda at the all-new #TruckTrend.com in a few weeks!"

Bonus points for having the green manual transmission to review! It'll be interesting to see what the "truck" guys have to say (but at least so far it seems they like it).

P.S. Sorry I couldn't get the image to embed.

Attachments

·
Registered
290 Posts
I expect the HRV with 6-speed will have enough pep for most people. If I got the numbers right (lower is better), here are the pounds each HP has to move, best at top, worst at bottom (no numbers for CX-3 yet).

2015 Kia Soul: 17.3 (best)
2015 Jeep Renegade (2.4L engine): 17.7
2016 Honda HRV: 18.8

I can attest that my ancient 2010 Soul+ 5 speed feels peppy and handles 75 mph on the interstate, and it carries a whopping 19.7 pounds per horsepower (doesn't have the newer Soul engine). If my Soul feels peppy, so will the HRV - at least with the standard transmission.

Mind you, all kinds of other factors affect feel. Transmission ratios, parasitic losses, torque and power curves. But I think you can make reasonably safe predictions.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Looks like Truck Trend will have a review come out around the time the embargo ends....from Instagram.....http://www.oninstagram.com/hondahrv

"Truck Trend spent the morning tooling around Malibu in the new #HondaHRV, equipped with the six-speed manual transmission, and we enjoyed it. Read more about the all-new @Honda at the all-new #TruckTrend.com in a few weeks!"

Bonus points for having the green manual transmission to review! It'll be interesting to see what the "truck" guys have to say (but at least so far it seems they like it).

P.S. Sorry I couldn't get the image to embed.
I am really glad they are testing the 6 speed Manual. I am very interested in seeing how the performance is with that.

·
Registered
738 Posts
With the manual it should feel a bit peppy and exciting, especially in the lower power range as that is what will matter most to a lot of us.
But in the process we should expect slightly lower MPG's

·
Registered
290 Posts
Depends on how you drive a manual. My wife drives around with high revs. I tend to lug the engine. I get much better gas mileage and a quieter ride. She gets peppier performance.

We could start a week-long thread about CVT vs manual. Remember, those EPA numbers are calculated and completely artificial. They have very, very little to do with real-world performance, except as a vague and somewhat unreliable tool for general comparison.

As an example, most VW diesel owners do vastly better than the EPA estimate. And Ford CMax owners filed a lawsuit because theirs was so much worse (I think I got that story right).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, scooterct, you are right about the CMax owners' lawsuit. EPA followed up by re-doing the performance analysis themselves, resulting in much lower mileage numbers. I vaguely remember that Ford was fined also, though I may be wrong.

The way the EPA estimates are derived is by the auto makers doing the analysis themselves following detailed EPA guidelines. Or not. And if not, they can get caught. EPA does a few themselves randomly just to try to keep the system honest, but they haven't the funding to take over that role for all makes and models. The analysis is done in controlled conditions in laboratories, since there is way too much variability in field conditions across the 50 states. Hence the YMMV. Since EPA mileage figures were first instituted several decades ago, there have been several updates to the guidelines. New ones were recently adopted for application to the 2017 model year, if I remember correctly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts