Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know this is a long shot, BUT...

Two things I've noticed on my HR-V that I'm curious about.

1) Twice when I've started the engine upon cold start, the temperature warning light for the engine has come on. It goes out after about 45-60 seconds of driving, but still has me wondering...

2.) I've noticed a click occasionally when driving, especially when going over bumps, originating what seems to be from behind the speedometer panel. It almost sounds like the "click" you hear upon starting or shutting down the ignition.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Twice when I've started the engine upon cold start, the temperature warning light for the engine has come on. It goes out after about 45-60 seconds of driving, but still has me wondering...

Anyone else?
Me too! I looked online, and while did not find anything in particular for HR-Vs, it seems to be common (Honda, Toyota, etc.) when the engine is cold. Since the coolant (and engine) haven't reached operating temperature, drive the car gently--no quick starts, no high revs, no heat, etc.

I read somewhere that you should see your dealer if the blue light fails to go off after several minutes.

·
Registered
74 Posts
1) the thermostat will give you a blue light on the dash when the coolant is cold (like just starting your car), and should go away when its warmed up. i think its supposed to turn red if your engine is overheating.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Me too! I looked online, and while did not find anything in particular for HR-Vs, it seems to be common (Honda, Toyota, etc.) when the engine is cold. Since the coolant (and engine) haven't reached operating temperature, drive the car gently--no quick starts, no high revs, no heat, etc.

I read somewhere that you should see your dealer if the blue light fails to go off after several minutes.

Correct.... I read it in the manual.

·
Registered
66 Posts
2.) I've noticed a click occasionally when driving, especially when going over bumps, originating what seems to be from behind the speedometer panel. It almost sounds like the "click" you hear upon starting or shutting down the ignition.

Anyone else?
I have never noticed this Clicking. I'll pay attention now while I go over bumps but I live in a neighborhood with a lot of bumpy roads. Haven't heard this...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, in the manual, why doesn't anybody else read the manual? #rtfm
What's a manual? ;)

I have never noticed this Clicking. I'll pay attention now while I go over bumps but I live in a neighborhood with a lot of bumpy roads. Haven't heard this...
It's subtle, but it's starting to bug the **** out of me! I've ruled out that it has anything to do with the ECON button, and am 95% sure the A/C being on is not the culprit either. Almost sounds like it could be some sort of sensor actviating/deactivating...I'll keep on it!

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Problem or Issue? Call it working as designed.

So I know this is a long shot, BUT...

Two things I've noticed on my HR-V that I'm curious about.

1) Twice when I've started the engine upon cold start, the temperature warning light for the engine has come on. It goes out after about 45-60 seconds of driving, but still has me wondering...

Anyone else?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE ON THE CLICKING...

It seems to be getting worse (or I'm paying more attention to it now?).

I have to go to the dealer on Saturday to have a remote starter installed, so I'll be sure to go on a drive with them and point it out. Totally not acceptable and it's definitely annoying the crap out of me.

Has nothing to do with the AC, ECON, Brake hold or other feature that I am able to deduce.

·
Registered
211 Posts

I have to go to the dealer on Saturday to have a remote starter installed, so I'll be sure to go on a drive with them and point it out. Totally not acceptable and it's definitely annoying the crap out of me.

Has nothing to do with the AC, ECON, Brake hold or other feature that I am able to deduce.
I hope they figure it out for you, Matthew. That must be very annoying. Let us know.

·
Registered
211 Posts

Did your dealer find anything?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I agree - I went "to the manual" when the blue light appeared the first two mornings (when the car was cold) and discovered it is the coolant pressure monitor sensor light......blue = cold and red = hot.
Service advisor at local Honda dealer indicated this is totally normal for the icon to come on and go off as soon as coolant has warmed to normal
Since the HR-V lacks an actual engine temp "gauge", this is the alternative.
Also recommended waiting until blue icon disappears before taking off - my first ? was what about in the winbter when it's been sitting out in freezing cold temps?
He laughed and said, that takes a loooong time!

·
Registered
42 Posts
My vehicles have all had the "engine is cold" light. I've never heard anyone say not to drive the vehicle with that light on before. That's a new one and not something I'd be able to do. I just know when that light is on I won't get warm temps from the heater lol.

As for the clicking....hope the dealer solved the problem. For such a quiet operating car, that kind of noise would bother me too.

It's so quiet that one day I pulled into my drive, put it in park, opened the door and wondered why the radio was still on. Totally forgot to turn the car off! Even with the door open couldn't hear it running!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts