Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thinking of taking a 45 minute road trip to cross the Niagara Falls boarder and see the HRV for real. We saw it at the Toronto car show but couldn't get inside.

Is there a new HRV owner that may be looking for a reason to enjoy a road trip?

Niagara Falls and Niagara-on-the-Lake are beautiful at this time of year. :D Lots of wineries to visit. Give us a heads up so we could see your new toy. If you would happen to be in the Burlington Ontario area (45 minutes from the border) I would be happy to introduce you to some HRV followers at a local Honda dealership then provide you with a top notch Canadian BBQ. I'm retired, it could be any day of the week.;)

Either way I can't wait any longer. With all this chatter from our members I have to kick the tires myself.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Love to join you, Colin, but not able for obvious reasons. Be sure to post your impressions if you go. One thing I wonder is whether an American dealer will let you test-drive, given that they aren't allowed to sell it to you, and I also wonder if their insurance lets them hand the keys to a Canadian.

Good luck!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't expect to get a test drive. We really just want to get inside and see if it meets our requirements and expectations. Maybe get a good sniff of that new car smell.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Can you not find a HRV to test drive on your side of the border? Not that there is anything wrong with you crossing over to find a test drive. :D

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They're released here on July 10th. Only ones we'll see in Canada for the next 6 weeks will be wearing U.S. plates. Maybe they will show up a week early like you experienced. Hard to be patient.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will be checking it out next week only because I'm curious. We have owned Mazdas but I think it won't be roomy enough.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Don't expect to get a test drive. We really just want to get inside and see if it meets our requirements and expectations. Maybe get a good sniff of that new car smell.
I'm going to do the same thing in a couple weeks! Hoping to at least see one in person, going to scout out some NY/PA dealerships

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Going for an older CRV also helps with roominess plus the money you save from buying a new car goes a long way :D
We'd consider an older CRV if/when we buy our son a starter car. Wouldn't worry if it got a ding or two. It would also be a fairly reliable used car. My wife and I always buy new vehicles and take good care of them. The HRV seems to be just about right for what we need now.

Only problem has been delivery. We really wanted something before the end of June. I put a deposit down in mid February so we should be the first in line.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
If roominess is important to you, I think you're probably right...
http://www.hrvforum.com/forum/289-h.../8930-first-look-mazda-cx-3-a.html#post106162
Checked out the CX3 today. It is a very sporty CUV. Saw it in Red and Blue, both are striking. Got inside, adjusted the seat to my 5'8" frame and had lots of room up front. Didn't like the dash layout. Some storage in the doors, cup holders are small, no arm rest (can be dealer installed but you lose your cup holders). Got in the back. With the driver seat set for a 5'8" driver there was just enough room for me in the back. If everyone using this vehicle are 5'8" or less then you may be OK for four. It is cramped. Trunk area is a joke. Two people wouldn't want to use this to go to the golf course. A major shopping forget it.

It's off my list.

Also looked at the Trak and Encore. Not bad but they are GM's and look bulky. I'm retired but I don't want the world to know it from 50 paces.

Got some time, will probably visit Nissan, Kia, Subaru and Toyota this week. They are all within 15 minutes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Keep us posted Colin. I am in eastern Ontario. I hope the HRV is for me in terms of back seats, we occasionally carry 4 including a tall guy, and I need decent rear storage, although rarely at the same time. I've been reading the threads and I would love to look at a CRV or CX5 but that price point is beyond my modest means. Nice to know your impression of the CX3. My 11 yr old Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback is at the end of its life. Loved the Mitsubishi. Test drove the RVR but found it sluggish. Looking forward to hearing more as your research progresses.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Keep us posted Colin. I am in eastern Ontario. I hope the HRV is for me in terms of back seats, we occasionally carry 4 including a tall guy, and I need decent rear storage, although rarely at the same time. I've been reading the threads and I would love to look at a CRV or CX5 but that price point is beyond my modest means. Nice to know your impression of the CX3. My 11 yr old Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback is at the end of its life. Loved the Mitsubishi. Test drove the RVR but found it sluggish. Looking forward to hearing more as your research progresses.
Welcome!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Checked out the CX3 today. It is a very sporty CUV. Saw it in Red and Blue, both are striking. Got inside, adjusted the seat to my 5'8" frame and had lots of room up front. Didn't like the dash layout. Some storage in the doors, cup holders are small, no arm rest (can be dealer installed but you lose your cup holders). Got in the back. With the driver seat set for a 5'8" driver there was just enough room for me in the back. If everyone using this vehicle are 5'8" or less then you may be OK for four. It is cramped. Trunk area is a joke. Two people wouldn't want to use this to go to the golf course. A major shopping forget it.

It's off my list.

Also looked at the Trak and Encore. Not bad but they are GM's and look bulky. I'm retired but I don't want the world to know it from 50 paces.

Got some time, will probably visit Nissan, Kia, Subaru and Toyota this week. They are all within 15 minutes.
Today was a lovely day so I went tripping around to various dealers prior to heading to the USA this weekend to see an HRV.

In and out of Toyota pretty quick. The Rav was too big and I liked the Fit much more than the Matrix.

Nissan Juke, room in the front was good but just like the CX3 there was little room left for rear seat passengers or trunk space. Head room was tight everywhere and I'm not a tall person. Also had a dinky little 5" screen for navigation and rear view.

Subaru XV Crosstrek was really nice. Liked it a lot. Only issue was absence of ventilation or power in the rear. With the driver seat pumped up to the top, which is the way my wife likes it, there was very little head room. It could be a possibility.

I can see why there is interest in the Kia Soul. I checked out a loaded SX. Lots of room and very well laid out. 5 year bumper to bumper warranty and lacking for nothing in the tech. and creature comfort departments. The style is a bit funky so we'd have to get wife approval. What really surprised me is that the Soul - DOES NOT COME WITH A SPARE TIRE :eek: Couldn't believe it. There is space but no spare. I told the salesperson this would be a deal breaker and that he should talk to his parts dept., put a package together, and call me back. He did and for $400 plus tax they would put in a space saver on a steel rim, jack and wrench. They are now considering adding this to their dealer installed options.

Went back to Honda after all this and once again checked out the Fit. The Fit really is a nice package for the price point. We're off to see the HRV and think for our requirements the Fit or the Soul would be are fall back vehicle.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Can anyone assist me in figuring out which dealerships in Buffalo or Rochester would have an HRV or two in stock. Any model will do as we are mostly looking at the interior ergonomics. We have a deposit on an EX-L nav. in Modern Steel Metallic which would be a bonus. Also a bonus to see it in Red. Thanks

·
Registered
235 Posts
Can anyone assist me in figuring out which dealerships in Buffalo or Rochester would have an HRV or two in stock. Any model will do as we are mostly looking at the interior ergonomics. We have a deposit on an EX-L nav. in Modern Steel Metallic which would be a bonus. Also a bonus to see it in Red. Thanks
Here's a place to start: http://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...00212&rd=100&zc=14201&searchSource=TRAIL_HEAD

Customize with better zip codes to narrow down the area.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Visited the U.S. today to finally sit in and sniff an HRV. :)

Went to West Herr Honda in Lockport, NY (Manny) who show on their website 12 HRV's as stock. They are however actually sold out. They did have a sold EX-L nav. Modern Steel Metallic on the lot. This is exactly the HRV we put our deposit on in mid February. Manny was good enough to let two road weary Canadians into this unit and give it a good look.

My wife and I are completely satisfied with what we saw. It meets our expectations and requirements for a second vehicle. Yes it is lacking places to put the little stuff and purses but nothing we can't work around.

If there was a disappointment it would be the lack of carpet in the car. Very surprised that even the EX-L would have what can only be described as a felt like material on the floor. Appreciate that mats would cover this but it is a bit unfinished looking.

I have advised our salesperson that everything is a go for us when the HRV is released in Canada July 10th. Still wrestling with the colour. That rich classic Modern Steel Metallic or the eye-popping Milano Red.

It's going to be a long 6 weeks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Interesting to hear your comments on the Soul, Colin. I've been checking it out on the web and see them all the time on the road. I remember when they first came out I liked the style but now when I see them I feel kind of "blah" about the look. It seems to scream "economy" on the outside. Similar to your comment about the Buick Encore, I'm cheap but don't want people to know it from a distance. The HRV looks much more upscale to me. But when I get closer to making a purchase I'll probably test drive both a Soul and an HRV.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts