Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Started a new thread...

they do have them for the R18- BUT they seem to be made for the engines that have a power steering pump/pulley. Could you make it work
- and why underdrive it?
Here is a pic of the front of the HRV 1.8L engine:

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper Automotive lighting

The crank pulley is on the bottom left.

I have much experience with swapping crank pulleys. Numerous 5.0L Mustang's and several Honda K24's.
Our 5.0L Mustang and our K24 Acura TSX have had underdrive crank pulleys for many years with no side effects.

In my experience installing a stock diameter but lighter crank pulley does very little for engine gains. The reduced rotational weight has very little effect because of the small radius.
But a smaller diameter crank pulley reduces engine drag, improving engine output.
All the belt driven devices are driven at less rpm from the smaller diameter crank pulley.

This can reduce alternator output, water pump flow, a/c and power steering effectiveness if the pulley is too small, But if the crank pulley is only about an inch or 2 less in diameter, the effects are minimal if any.
On a manual transmission you can really feel the power gain.
The engine revs up quicker and feels more responsive.

I've never tried an underdrive pulley on an auto trans vehicle, but I would on our 2wd HRV CVT.

Non Stop Tuning does offer Honda Civic R18 pulleys, but stock diameter.
The other pulleys, other than the crank pulley, are just for show IMO.

They used to offer an underdrive crank pulley but no longer. I have talked to them but no luck.
Also no luck in finding anyone else who offers an HRV 1.8L underdrive crank pulley.

Old info from NST website. The now unavailable underdrive crank pulley is 2nd from the top.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I saw a few of these years ago - the 8th gen Civic i had - someone did make underdrvien ones- don't remember if they were crank or other.
I would think you could have a charging problem with the alt underdriven, to be honest.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
this would be sweet
That 8th Gen Civic Jackson Rotrex supercharger is interesting but it looks like it has some drawbacks.

1. The crazy piping and packaging of the system. Supercharger inlet and outlet pipes right over top the exhaust.
Super long piping runs from the supercharger, thru the intercooler and to the throttle body.
I wonder if the piping and packaging could be improved for the HRV rather than the Civic.

2. You can see that they are using a custom Hondata ECU program to accommodate the supercharger.
Nothing like that exists for the HRV. Until some aftermarket company cracks the HRV ECU, no one will develop major power upgrades for it.

3. They upgrade the fuel injectors but they don't upgrade the Civic in-tank fuel pump.
I wonder if the HRV in-tank fuel pump would be adequate.

4. The HRV CVT would last about a block.
The HRV manual trans may be ok if driven reasonably with a clutch upgrade.

Still interesting to discuss though... :)

Reactions: SylenThunder

·
Registered
767 Posts
That 8th Gen Civic Jackson Rotrex supercharger is interesting but it looks like it has some drawbacks.

1. The crazy piping and packaging of the system. Supercharger inlet and outlet pipes right over top the exhaust.
Super long piping runs from the supercharger, thru the intercooler and to the throttle body.
I wonder if the piping and packaging could be improved for the HRV rather than the Civic.

2. You can see that they are using a custom Hondata ECU program to accommodate the supercharger.
Nothing like that exists for the HRV. Until some aftermarket company cracks the HRV ECU, no one will develop major power upgrades for it.

3. They upgrade the fuel injectors but they don't upgrade the Civic in-tank fuel pump.
I wonder if the HRV in-tank fuel pump would be adequate.

4. The HRV CVT would last about a block.
The HRV manual trans may be ok if driven reasonably with a clutch upgrade.

Still interesting to discuss though... :)
Agreed -No way this works without modification for the HRV ....
I think the Hondata would plug and work - maybe...but since the HRV probably has no performance following, nobody will want to be the first to try as there is no payback.

If i had the cash I would try it - contact Rotrex and go from there, get a junk yard R18 - maybe an older Civic model with the auto trans etc.
Have to figure out how to merge up the powertain modules. Lots of fun.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ktuner eventually will do an hrv reflash - pester him - meanwhile the aem intake is a better option than pulleys - or do both.
IMO, since the HRV CVT trans is so weak, unlike the Civic CVT trans, the HRV has zero performance potential.

I don't see any company cracking the HRV ECU and developing an aftermarket ECU program to support increased air flow mods, greater RPM range, or forced induction.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts