Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Honda still did this on the cheap. If you look closely the LEDS are only on the outside of the brake light. The part that is on the tailgate that opens are fake. They look like little LEDs but are just reflectors. Some people were trying to put LEDs in there but then you have to run power wires all the way from brake light around to tailgate

·
Registered
127 Posts
Honda still did this on the cheap. If you look closely the LEDS are only on the outside of the brake light. The part that is on the tailgate that opens are fake. They look like little LEDs but are just reflectors. Some people were trying to put LEDs in there but then you have to run power wires all the way from brake light around to tailgate
I would even be happy if the fake tailgate lights could be illuminated at the tail light level, power could be tapped off the license plate light. The outer portions would still go bright when the brakes are applied. Although, the brake light power is available from the high mount brake light on the tailgate.

Do any other world markets get real lights? I know some markets get projector headlight/LED daytime running lights, maybe the tail lights are different too.

Did some searching, the JDM market Vezel looks like it came with full lights, looks to be an expensive mod though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-16-17-Honda-HRV-HR-V-OE-JDM-Vezel-LED-Light-Bar-4PCS-Rear-Tail-Lights-Lamps-/302006998557?fits=Make:Honda&hash=item465105161d:g:h8EAAOSwEjFXfaNW&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
5 Posts
How long do the LED brake lights usually last before they have to be replaced?
About 3-4 years. My break light is having issues at this time. Im trying to find a fix without having to replace entire tail light assembly. I can't find just the break LED lights anywhere. Assuming it may also be a grounding issue because the LEDs inside the assembly are alternating in a row, column by column at a time. Im assuming this is some sort of an error code. There are no service manuals available anywhere but I am still not giving up.

·
Banned
609 Posts
LED brake lights should never wear out. We cannot diagnose that problem without seeing the car. Is the car under warranty? It will likely take a smart mechanic to fix

·
Registered
821 Posts
LED brake lights should never wear out. We cannot diagnose that problem without seeing the car. Is the car under warranty? It will likely take a smart mechanic to fix
Not true @hikendan. LEDs do fail over time, but their lifetime 'should' exceed that of a normal vehicle. L70 times are generally in the 50-60,000 hours of lifetime. For perspective, you'd have to have your LED on for over 5 years continuously for it to wear out to 70% of the original brightness. Other failures can happen as well. For more, see LED Lifespan: Light Emitting Diode MTBF Lifetime » Electronics Notes

·
Banned
609 Posts
I realize LED's wear out, but they should not do so before the car does. I was trying not to explain this fact to people

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not true @hikendan. LEDs do fail over time, but their lifetime 'should' exceed that of a normal vehicle. L70 times are generally in the 50-60,000 hours of lifetime. For perspective, you'd have to have your LED on for over 5 years continuously for it to wear out to 70% of the original brightness. Other failures can happen as well. For more, see LED Lifespan: Light Emitting Diode MTBF Lifetime » Electronics Notes
@hikendan We can most definitely diagnose the problem without taking it to the shop, At the shop, they aren't smart to begin with, they use a diagnosis tool to solve it for them. Simple few second solution. It doesn't take a mechanic to figure it out. We actually can figure out the problem with the error message that it is emitting through the way the light is acting. But you haven't thought that far is obvious. This is a thread with a lot of smarter people than yourself. Thank you for your idea, but take it elsewhere. This is the wrong question for you to reply to. We will figure this out without you. There may be electrical, wiring, fuse or the break switch, depending on what is happening to the light itself.

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
312 Posts
I'm not sure why you keep thinking its some sort of error code... if there's going to be any kind of code, it'll be in the dash or stored as a DTC, not in the light output. A simple reason being... if any LED(s) burns out, it would affect the code.

I would suggest opening it up (likely similar to how people do headlight mods using an oven or heat gun) and dig into it.

There's two cases I can imagine... one is an actual circuit board and the other is simply having the LEDs wired up in an array.

If it's a circuit board, it'll be tougher to diagnose. I would then suggest hitting a junkyard for a wreck HR-V if you're unwilling to buy it as a unit.

If it's just wired up in an array, you could potentially find out if it's a wire or LED(s) that have gone bad and give a try at soldering it with replacement parts.

Going back to the code, if a row of LEDs are wired in serial and there's a break in the wire... there's no way that row can be used for any kind of code... makes the whole thing too unreliable to be used as such.

Maybe consider buying an aftermarket tail light to "mod" the HR-V, it'll give you a working tail light along with "freshening up" the HR-V... just a thought.

Or maybe... Amazon.com: TYC 11-6810-90-1 Tail Lamp: Automotive

... $67.14? Is that a typo? Cause the same brand for the other side is nearly full price.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts