Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going for an extended HR-V test drive soon. Been looking at the infotainment controls on the EX and EX-L models compared to the simple ones on the base model and found them fiddly at first glance. Lack of analog knobs seems inexcusable. How easy are they in the real world and can most controls be handled from the steering wheel controls?

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
479 Posts
There are no HVAC controls on the steering and limited(?) infotainment controls.

Source audio, skip forward/backward, vol +/-, next application (navi, phone and music) and a "shift" button that contextually alters some of the previously mentioned buttons. That was on the left main "spoke" of the steering wheel. Below that spoke are the telephone, back and voice control buttons. The right side is for the dash, so I won't go into it.

Obviously, I have the navi as a next application because I have the Touring trim... so that won't apply for non-navi trims. Not sure if you lose any other buttons on non-navi trims.

That said, I generally leave my HVAC on auto(72) and just forget about it most of the time. On the few occasions I feel like changing anything (like full front windshield or mirrror+rear), I can take a look and get the "button" I need from the touch sensitive panel pretty quickly. If there's a need max out temp, the up/down part is "slide" sensitive, so just slide it up or down to go between hi/72/low.

I've seen various online arguments about the touchscreen HVAC being dangerous, but I feel that's for people that most likely take "too long" a time to looks at things. As quickly/aggressively as I drive, I make sure I have enough room around me, so I feel fairly safe to do things like, take a moment for such a quick glance. The same amount of time, as if looking down at the speedo or GPS.

Maybe, during the test drive, before you actually start moving, pretend you're driving and see just how quickly you can recognize things from just glancing down.

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
162 Posts
I have read several threads on here reference peoples dislike or even hate towards the digital HVAC controls and they all wish Honda would revert back to buttons and dials. From my experience car manufacturers do not have a great track record with that style of HVAC control either. The image below is from my 2003 Honda Civic, and at first glance the set up may appear perfect, but the major flaw with this layout is the information on the dials is displayed on the wrong side which means a lot of the symbols are obscured until you move your head over towards the centre. My previous vehicle to my HR-V was even worse than this. With the HR-V the temperature is always displayed at the same location, and for me it is easy to confirm with a quick glance the temperature, the vents you have it set to and what the fan speed is. Unless the sun is shining directly on it!

I also like the 'Finger Swipe' function for setting the temperature and fan speed, which I tend to use a lot:

If people think the HVAC in the HR-V is a PITA, this is the system VW use, and also in their Skoda and SEAT subsiduries (not sure about Audi). Watch and weep!;

·
Registered
5 Posts
If it's a new HR-V, just pick a temp and set it on auto. If you get in the car and want to quickly raise or lower the fan or temp to the max, swipe your finger up or down on the appropriate vertical control. Then when the car is how you want it, use the auto again. As for the radio controls, you can do just about everything from the steering wheel. The volume knob is nice but not necessary.

·
Registered
Honda HR-V 2019 EX in white
18 Posts
If it's a new HR-V, just pick a temp and set it on auto. If you get in the car and want to quickly raise or lower the fan or temp to the max, swipe your finger up or down on the appropriate vertical control. Then when the car is how you want it, use the auto again. As for the radio controls, you can do just about everything from the steering wheel. The volume knob is nice but not necessary.
What do you mean by set it on auto? Does it save the temp you picked, or does it automatically change to the weather outside, like when it's cold outside it makes it hot?

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
479 Posts
What do you mean by set it on auto? Does it save the temp you picked, or does it automatically change to the weather outside, like when it's cold outside it makes it hot?
Auto will attempt to make the cabin sensor match the temp you set. It’ll adjust the fan speed, vent mode and temp coming the the vents. even turns A/C on/off as needed. You can even change the mode or speed while leaving the other on auto.

Because i set mine to 72, it will use the a/c with colder air, blowing up into the upper vents and windshield in the summer and hotter air blowing toward my feet in winter.

·
Registered
Honda HR-V 2019 EX in white
18 Posts
Auto will attempt to make the cabin sensor match the temp you set. It’ll adjust the fan speed, vent mode and temp coming the the vents. even turns A/C on/off as needed. You can even change the mode or speed while leaving the other on auto.

Because i set mine to 72, it will use the a/c with colder air, blowing up into the upper vents and windshield in the summer and hotter air blowing toward my feet in winter.
That's awesome! I'm so excited to get my car. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
413 Posts
That's awesome! I'm so excited to get my car. Thanks so much!
I dislike the auto temp setting because the fan speed changes- and on the higher settings its loud.

yes the touch screen blows chunks..... you cannot feel switches anymore - so you have to take eyes off the road. its a case where the aesthetic and sales team overrode the engineers - all to keep up with the Joneses, in the industry.
Notice how you can adjust side mirrors and door locks easily without looking ?
the steering wheel button help- but are limited.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I rarely touch the screen. I can adjust volume and change stations and sources for the radio from the control buttons on the steering wheel. I can use the voice controls to change the temperature, or turn on the rear defrost.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts