Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2016 Honda HR-V. I made the switch from a 2009 Honda Civic to the 2016 Honda HR-V. I really liked the vehicle. One day while I was out running errands, I got out the vehicle and for about two to three minutes I tried to lock the vehicle. I opened and closed the door several times. There was no beeping or any noise when I opened the door. I finally walked away from the vehicle and the vehicle started to back up and hit a parked vehicle. I brought the vehicle to the body shop in the dealership where I bought vehicle, Schaller Honda in New Britain, CT it was an awful experience. They are telling me that the vehicle was in reverse or drive and that I never put it in park. There was no beeping when the door was open. Also, the vehicle was in park when the vehicle finally stopped after hitting the parked vehicle. When my vehicle was fixed I tried leaving the vehicle in drive and opened the door and the beeping went off and same when the vehicle was put into reverse.

Couple weeks later, I turned the vehicle off and opened up the driver side door and picked up my pocketbook and the vehicle started on its own. I do not have a remote start. My husband even saw that my hands were no where near the push start button.

I now have a vehicle that I do not trust and they are offering me about $5k less to trade in for a Honda CR-V. I am really disappointed in Honda and how they are handling this problem. I have been driving a long time and have never left my vehicle in drive/reverse and shut it off and got out of the vehicle. The same night this happened we were reading that Jeeps are having the same issues.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My door locks didn't work 2 times since I've had it. I purchased an EX AWD 3 weeks ago. I haven't had any issues with it rolling or starting on it's own, but the doors not locking was puzzling. Thank you sharing your story, I will be on the alert. Just wondering if you were parked on a hill or an incline?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks so much for sharing your story and so sorry for your horrible experience. I've had my EXL for over 3 months, 5000 miles and no issues as of yet. But with so much technology on any vehicle, anything can happen. Doesn't sound like the dealer helped at all. Would you be willing to try another dealer's service department? Have you written to or notified Honda's customer service? Someone needs to run full diagnostics for you.

Please keep us posted. Wishing you the best on this!

·
Registered
454 Posts
I recently purchased a 2016 Honda HR-V. I made the switch from a 2009 Honda Civic to the 2016 Honda HR-V. I really liked the vehicle. One day while I was out running errands, I got out the vehicle and for about two to three minutes I tried to lock the vehicle. I opened and closed the door several times. There was no beeping or any noise when I opened the door. I finally walked away from the vehicle and the vehicle started to back up and hit a parked vehicle. I brought the vehicle to the body shop in the dealership where I bought vehicle, Schaller Honda in New Britain, CT it was an awful experience. They are telling me that the vehicle was in reverse or drive and that I never put it in park. There was no beeping when the door was open. Also, the vehicle was in park when the vehicle finally stopped after hitting the parked vehicle. When my vehicle was fixed I tried leaving the vehicle in drive and opened the door and the beeping went off and same when the vehicle was put into reverse.

Couple weeks later, I turned the vehicle off and opened up the driver side door and picked up my pocketbook and the vehicle started on its own. I do not have a remote start. My husband even saw that my hands were no where near the push start button.

I now have a vehicle that I do not trust and they are offering me about $5k less to trade in for a Honda CR-V. I am really disappointed in Honda and how they are handling this problem. I have been driving a long time and have never left my vehicle in drive/reverse and shut it off and got out of the vehicle. The same night this happened we were reading that Jeeps are having the same issues.
Sorry but I'm sort of with the Honda techs.....
Pretty unbelievable story.

Car starting on it's own, shifting out of Park on it's own, moving on it's own, then shifting back into park?

Sort of at a loss for words......good luck on getting things worked out, I guess.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Sorry but I'm sort of with the Honda techs.....
Pretty unbelievable story.

Car starting on it's own, shifting out of Park on it's own, moving on it's own, then shifting back into park?

Sort of at a loss for words......good luck on getting things worked out, I guess.
I am also skeptical. This sounds like what in computer circles is referred to as a PEBCAK.

It's difficult to underestimate the problem solving skills of some people. Remember the New Zealand couple who nearly suffocated after being locked in their new Mazda 3 because it never occurred to them to push the UNlock button....

·
Administrator
1,545 Posts
The only times I haven't been able to lock the doors or set the alarm is when one of the doors or hood is ajar or the vehicle isn't off or set in park, but that normally gives you that phone ringing sound.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I was searching for people with a similar story to mine and came across this. My grandmother who is 70 years old purchased at 2016 Honda HRV and a few weeks ago she pulled into my uncle's house, put it in park, went inside and came back out about 10 minutes later and the car had rolled out of the driveway and down the road finally stopping when it hit a stop sign. It broke the mirror off so she took it to the Honda dealership and told them what happened. The service tech sat in it and started moving the gear shifter trying to get it to jump out again and it did!! He got it to jump out of park and into Neutral 2 or 3 more times. But they said the checked everything out and cant find any problems and will not do anything to fix it. They told her to just make sure she puts the parking break on when she gets out from now on. That's not acceptable to me!! DId you ever get anything done about your problem? I'm just trying to figure out what to do from this point.

·
Registered
929 Posts
... The service tech sat in it and started moving the gear shifter trying to get it to jump out again and it did!! He got it to jump out of park and into Neutral 2 or 3 more times. But they said the checked everything out and cant find any problems and will not do anything to fix it. ....
This does not make sense.
This would be a major liability on the dealer and Honda. You would think that they would want to take care of it ASAP.
Again, this does not make sense.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
20,000+ miles, and the CVT on my EX has never, ever "jumped" out of Park.

I'm not saying it's not possible, but highly unlikely, and if it happens, it's a fault that the dealer should fix under warranty. After ~100,000 HR-V sales, 2 reports, one extremely vague, do not indicate a widespread problem.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I believe someone has escaped from under the bridge. As for the serious question in this thread, I've had a couple instances of no beeping to let me know it locked. That is designed to let you know that something is not closed all the way. The usual culprit for me is the hatch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Unfortunately I need to revive this thread. My mother was involved in a FATAL accident when her 2016 HRV rolled backwards while in park! This is a serious problem. We've notified Honda but I just want to let people know to be on the lookout for this problem. I wouldn't want this to happen to anyone else. If anyone else has had this problem, or if they know about this happening to someone else, please let me know!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Unfortunately I need to revive this thread. My mother was involved in a FATAL accident when her 2016 HRV rolled backwards while in park! This is a serious problem. We've notified Honda but I just want to let people know to be on the lookout for this problem. I wouldn't want this to happen to anyone else. If anyone else has had this problem, or if they know about this happening to someone else, please let me know!
So sorry for the fatal accident. Auto or manual, trim level, AWD? Was parking brake engaged?

·
Registered
1 Posts
This happened to me today. I parked my car to Vaccuum it out. Left it running, in park, got out of the car and when I came back to the car and turned off the car it started rolling back. As it was in the process of trying to run me over, I placed my hand on the brake pedal. My MIL checked to see if it was in park and it was but even when I let my hand off the brake pedal it still rolled back. So my MIL set the parking break I got back in the car restarted it and the gear shift was set to park. I spent the rest of the day running errands and making sure I used my parking break. I have a 2016 HR-V exl.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts