Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both my wife and I test drive a 2016 top of the line model with the Navi. Both of us were impressed with its smoothness, handling and comfort. Major complaints we have read about uncomfortable seating, engine and road noise were really non issues for us. We found it quite comfortable. We have a 2010 CRV and since my wife has just retired I wanted to get a second vehicle for her so she's not stuck at home. I have a few more years of work before I can join her in retirement. We love the look, feel and the extra technological advancements our CRV doesn't have. Our quote in Canadian dollars was 34,700 on a 2017 top of the line model with navi.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Both my wife and I test drive a 2016 top of the line model with the Navi. Both of us were impressed with its smoothness, handling and comfort. Major complaints we have read about uncomfortable seating, engine and road noise were really non issues for us. We found it quite comfortable. We have a 2010 CRV and since my wife has just retired I wanted to get a second vehicle for her so she's not stuck at home. I have a few more years of work before I can join her in retirement. We love the look, feel and the extra technological advancements our CRV doesn't have. Our quote in Canadian dollars was 34,700 on a 2017 top of the line model with navi.
Good for you but why wouldn't you test drive a 2017?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Made a second test drive of the 2016 EXL with navi HRV after test driving the Subaru Crosstrek. The Subaru was quite smoother to drive, had excellent braking, good acceleration, less engine noise but not as comfortable as the HRV. Felt a bit more constrained. The HRV feels quite comfortable to drive, for me it had enough power but the engine noise was noticeable more the second time around. However, the HRV was more comfortable and that is the deal maker so it appears next week I will be preparing to purchase a 2017 EXL with Navi. The quote I received is just under $34,700 Canadian. By my research, that is a very good price.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Made a second test drive of the 2016 EXL with navi HRV after test driving the Subaru Crosstrek. The Subaru was quite smoother to drive, had excellent braking, good acceleration, less engine noise but not as comfortable as the HRV. Felt a bit more constrained. The HRV feels quite comfortable to drive, for me it had enough power but the engine noise was noticeable more the second time around. However, the HRV was more comfortable and that is the deal maker so it appears next week I will be preparing to purchase a 2017 EXL with Navi. The quote I received is just under $34,700 Canadian. By my research, that is a very good price.
Both are good cars but if I picked the Crosstrek, dealer would have to replace those ugly looking rims!

Good luck. I hope to take HRV possession on April 17th.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Good to research well
Less power and engine noise when pushing the engine are common complaints
I do find the 4 wheel disc brakes in the HRV are very responsive, and many people have commented on them being quite good
Did you find the brakes that much better in the crosstrek?

Our final choice was down to the outback and HRV, the Subarus are good cars.
Had ours 2 years now and very happy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Both braking systems felt the same and both appear to be excellent. Yes, they are both very nice but it appears comfort was the deciding factor for my wife and i. So, we will begin the process of purchasing the HRV. Another consideration is the fact we have had great service from our local Honda dealership. We have a 2010 Honda CRV and it's been the best vehicle we have ever had.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bought a 2016 HR-V EX last year and the Crosstrek was the only other model I considered. I like the HR-V better, but it was close, and the all-wheel drive of the Crosstrek is appealing. If I lived in Canada, that would probably be the one I chose.

I like the HR-V's exterior styling a lot better and the interior seems so much roomier. The engine power is fine for my needs and it drives quietly, until you really need to step on the gas. Then the short-lived roar. I have been getting 30+ mpg in all-around driving.

Have to agree that the Crosstrek's rims are ugly. The only model that looks OK is the dark grey, which tones down the rims.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was torn between the the HRV and Crosstrek as well. I prefer the exterior, interior, and ride of the HRV over the Crosstrek but preferred the off-road track record Subaru is known for. Either way, both cars are nice and i still find myself looking at Crosstreks to this day, esp if they have all them off road goodies on them.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The HR-V seems to scoot through town when there is a ton of cars around, the streets seams to get smaller. We bought ours as a second car, it kind of feels like our CR-V but smaller. All I wanted in a second car was Leather and a Sun Roof, our HR-V fitted our needs and then some.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Five months in and no issues. Fun vehicle to drive, comfortable and surprisingly lots of pep. Gotta watch it sometimes as the vehicle can take off on you, a case of Kangaroo foot perhaps?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts