Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I HOPE this "C" RV vibration issue isn't originating in the CVT ......I assume the "H"RV and "C"RV use the same CVT ????? Watch below Honda is acknowledging it exists ....

http://www.torquenews.com/1574/honda-acknowledges-possible-2015-cr-v-engine-vibration-video

News story owners complaining https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBR0ceUdZbk

During this review the host explains the new Honda cylinder offset design and says its prone to vibrating https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s-Nn9PbofY

"So why don’t all engines offset their cylinders, reaping frictional and reciprocating mass benefits? According to Kevin Ash, the arrangement does have its disadvantages. Kev writes, “The power stroke takes longer, which is good for a high revving engine as it allows more time for efficient combustion, but it also makes controlling vibration more difficult as the secondary out-of-balance forces become more complex and asymmetric.”
https://rideapart.com/articles/free-power-offset-cylinders-explained

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I"ve read the HR-V shares the CVT with the Civic and Accord.

Looking at the Accord specs, the engine is the 2.4-litre, 16-valve, Direct Injection DOHC, i-VTEC® 4-cylinder.
This is identical to the CR-V 2.4, so my guess would be same CVT, but I haven't found it written anywhere.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The more I read on this it appears to be the offset cylinder design of the 2.4 engine..prone to vibration .....I am not sure if the "H"RV's 1.8 uses the offset cylinder design...will do more reading tonight on this to find out...anyway it appears NOT to be coming from the CVT ..... :)

I wonder if any of the auto writers picked up on the vibrations during their test drives of the "C"RV 2.4 offset cylinder design .

·
Registered
738 Posts
Even more of a reason to wait at least 3 months to 6 months to see how things go initially.
Usually that is a good time frame for issues to show up, anything to make or break a buying decision.

·
Registered
751 Posts
The more I read on this it appears to be the offset cylinder design of the 2.4 engine..prone to vibration .....I am not sure if the "H"RV's 1.8 uses the offset cylinder design...will do more reading tonight on this to find out...anyway it appears NOT to be coming from the CVT ..... :)

I wonder if any of the auto writers picked up on the vibrations during their test drives of the "C"RV 2.4 offset cylinder design .
I'm pretty sure the offset cylinders showed up on the new Earth Dreams engines, while the HRV gets an older (read "obsolete" or "proven", to your taste) engine from the Civic. If you're right, there may be no vibration issue on the HRV.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Exactly idearat ...I will take that older proven design any day over an initial year motor .....those previous 2.4's were bullet proof ....between qty 3 -2.4 equipped vehicles I put 420k miles on them with NO problems whatsoever ! 176k on my last one - then sold it - using no oil , no leaks , no smoke amazing ........

In one new Earthdreams 2.4 "C"RV video review the tester (in a nice way ) pointed out the offset design is prone to vibrations.....you wonder if all these writers are somewhat in the pockets of the manufacturers though . Think about it - if you write an honest bad review on a vehicle and slam it or point out defects etc - will you be first in line or invited at all to the next free press event thrown by that manufacturer ? I doubt it......

I will be looking at idle quality in gear when I take a test drive in the HRV ...they say the vibration is from idle to 2300 rpm in the EARTHdreams 2.4 CRV ...I am probably going to wait until next year to buy mine letting any bugs and dust settle .....that 1.8 non offset non EARTHdreams hopefully will be vibration free ..........

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of it. This means I will wait at least 6 months before buying an HR-V, if at all. They're going to have to prove to me the problem doesn't exist in the HR-V. The vibration is described as nauseating and there are YouTube videos showing how bad it is.(it's bad) Honda has acknowledged the problem but also say they don't have a clue how to fix it. No thanks Honda, I don't need that kind of aggravation.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't foresee an issue with vibration since there is none in the civic and accord, which noted earlier, the HR-V will adopt the Engine and Transmission from the Civic and Manual transmission from the Accord.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shouldn't be its a different engine displacement and engine family used in the civic carrover design at 1.8 L non Earthdreams...like others said there are no complaints with it - just the Earthdreams "2.4" liter engine - entirely different engine....so I wouldn't wait based on that ......

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have owned two HRV LX AWD's since July 2015. The first I drove for three weeks and it drove beautifully but had exterior damage and a malfunctioning magic seat and the dealer offered to switch the car. The second HRV LX AWD I have owned for three days and once driving it home, I noticed it felt wobbly as if a front tire was low, making the car feel slightly lopsided while driving. I feel significant vibration under the drivers seat and throughout the car and I'm very aware of it. Additionally, I 'feel' the road through my break pedal when breaking, which has to be held down very low to the floor. Coming to a stop the car bounces and jolts backwards when coming to a complete stop, as if it needs shock absorbers. The steering wheel also makes a swooshing noise when turning it to parallel park or make hard turns. Note I did NOT have any of these issues with the first HRV. You can guess I'm pretty upset and mentally spent, having weeks of researching new cars, dealing with the Honda dealer for the first three weeks as they back-peddled but finally came through. The dread of telling them this car is a bigger problem is not something I look forward to. I'm already thinking that if I have no choice but to keep it, I will trade it in a few years. The whole point of replacing my 1997 Honda CRV was to get another 18 years in reliable Honda Just doesn't seem possible anymore. Truly beside myself. I have better things to do with my time then to deal with new car problems. Time consuming, physically and mentally draining and taking significant work-time away, which means as a self-employed worker, lost income. If anyone has a car they recommend as an alternative (price, small footprint, equivalent cargo capacity, I am all ears....). Really sad because I wanted to drive off into the sunset and get on with life. Not be tethered to car problems.

·
Registered
772 Posts
My car was braking the same way- I was going to take it to the dealer, but the day I was going too, I spent an hour driving around, trying to replicate it(over bumps and potholes). Couldn't do it

At 1800, the car seems to have broken in, drives much better.
With the rigid rather than independent suspension, it's always gonna be a little bumpy.
Never had the vibration or tilting of which you speak. How many miles did car 2 have when they swapped out?

Different engine than the crv- the vibration you are having is a different issue than the crv

·
Registered
805 Posts
I"ve read the HR-V shares the CVT with the Civic and Accord.

Looking at the Accord specs, the engine is the 2.4-litre, 16-valve, Direct Injection DOHC, i-VTEC® 4-cylinder.
This is identical to the CR-V 2.4, so my guess would be same CVT, but I haven't found it written anywhere.
Yes, looking at honda.com specs, it's the identical engine ... yet there are no reports of the vibration in the Accord?

Regardless, with the non-Earth Dreams, non-offset cylinders, 1.8 litre Civic engine, the HR-V should be unaffected.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I test drove a crv specifically for the vibration. It only happens when the air is on, w/o ac being on- when the car is stopped in drive.

I only noticed because I was cold, and kept turning off the ac. Every time we came to a stop, the dealer would turn back on the ac. When he missed that step, the vibration was intense. Almost as good as the old beds you had to put a quarter in

·
Registered
6 Posts
My car was braking the same way- I was going to take it to the dealer, but the day I was going too, I spent an hour driving around, trying to replicate it(over bumps and potholes). Couldn't do it

At 1800, the car seems to have broken in, drives much better.
With the rigid rather than independent suspension, it's always gonna be a little bumpy.
Never had the vibration or tilting of which you speak. How many miles did car 2 have when they swapped out?

Different engine than the crv- the vibration you are having is a different issue than the crv
The first 2016 HRV LX AWD came with approx 112 miles and had approx 350 miles when switched (I was afraid to drive it because when I spoke to a manager the following day, he offereed to switch it out and was told they'd were hold the paperwork). I had absolutely no issues that I have with the replacement HRV LX AWD (which had 72 miles). It took approx three weeks for the dealer to locate an exact model/color and still no other inventory aroumd. I suspect this car was available because the vibration and breaking issues are so obvious. Also not happening in the first HRV is the erraxtic milage range guage, which is erratically changing back and forth while driving from approx 344 to 278 to 372 to 230, 350, etc...(failed to mention this previously). i havent amy idea of this is normal or not. I should mention that the exterior damage was from the dealer not factory that I noticed at time of purchase. And was hard to not notice. I think very likely the salesman was hoping I wouldn"t. That's speculation, but given there's supposed to be a checklist, as well as washed and detailed and a text correspondemce from the salesman that said he checked out the car and looks great. If he had, he would have spotted the ding, chips, stuck rear seat (turns out the carpet was stuck under the metal lever) and malfunctioning lever on the other seat, which wouldn't catch in the up position when pulling the lever down. If for a second I would have expected the HRV replacement car to drive like I have described, I would have kept the first and gone with the time-consuming and worrisome repair route.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
The first 2016 HRV LX AWD came with approx 112 miles and had approx 350 miles when switched (I was afraid to drive it because when I spoke to a manager the following day, he offereed to switch it out and was told they'd were hold the paperwork). I had absolutely no issues that I have with the replacement HRV LX AWD (which had 72 miles). It took approx three weeks for the dealer to locate an exact model/color and still no other inventory aroumd. I suspect this car was available because the vibration and breaking issues are so obvious. Also not happening in the first HRV is the erraxtic milage range guage, which is erratically changing back and forth while driving from approx 344 to 278 to 372 to 230, 350, etc...(failed to mention this previously). i havent amy idea of this is normal or not. I should mention that the exterior damage was from the dealer not factory that I noticed at time of purchase. And was hard to not notice. I think very likely the salesman was hoping I wouldn"t. That's speculation, but given there's supposed to be a checklist, as well as washed and detailed and a text correspondemce from the salesman that said he checked out the car and looks great. If he had, he would have spotted the ding, chips, stuck rear seat (turns out the carpet was stuck under the metal lever) and malfunctioning lever on the other seat, which wouldn't catch in the up position when pulling the lever down. If for a second I would have expected the HRV replacement car to drive like I have described, I would have kept the first and gone with the time-consuming and worrisome repair route.
Seems your complaints are an abnormality, as most reviews or owners have not experienced these problems. Do yourself a favor and take it back to the dealer for them to fix.

Even if you sell it in 3 years, you'll likely get a better price, and have a clearer conscience if the original problems are fixed under warranty.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I would think the mileage range gauge would be changing depending how you were driving in the moment- but it should be the average....

Take it to the dealer....take a drive with the tech, so together you can pinpoint what's going on.
Could be a simple fix. Here's hoping!

·
Registered
445 Posts
I understand problems happen to new cars. But sometimes I have to call BS to what seems like an overblown case. So, I'm calling BS

I apologize for being obtuse, but the chances of a wallowy suspension, major engine vibrations, noisy power steering, and glitchy electronics is so infinitismal it's basically impossible. Either things are being blown out of proportion (I hope), you want attention, or you have nefarious means.

·
Registered
6 Posts
No BS, nothing overblown, took the second one back to dealer & test drove w/mechanic (we also test drove another on their lot for comparison). Tires were overinflated. Dealer prep never deflated them to specs upon delivery. Severe wobble and vibration so much improved. Will bring back for repairs and other adjustments when life calms down in another month. I now have approx 550 miles and I'm still breaking close to the floor and car rocks back and forth for a few seconds when breaking. Mechanic will adjust when adjusting the the loud clicking break pedal. Also of note, in certain light conditions, you can not see the screen (station, song, time, etc...) so I have to turn off my lights to see, this includes backing out of my driveway at night; much too grainy backing up at night. Radio volume and stereo not as strong as when playing songs from phone via bluetooth, but that eats away my phone battery. I've accepted that mediocre is now the new norm (no choice really, unless you can afford it), but Honda should have held the ball higher. As for the 'little' things, I really dislike that I have no place to put my purse in the front (some areas you don't want your purse sitting on the front passenger seat or it may be occupied. Don't want to stick it on the floor behind me...besides it sitting on a dirty floor where many shoes were, it would roll around, so it would need to be secured somehow). I'm stuffing it next to me on the drivers seat. I don't think the small cubbies on the door were well thought out...can hold a spare bottle of water but the smaller hole holds nothing but spare change. There is nowhere to hold papers or envelopes to mail. The center console has good deep drink holders, but the rest of it holds almost nothing practical, except spare change and some pencils ; a cd case could fit in the hard-to-reach opening where you plug your usb into. Not sure why that's so inaccessible. The drivers seat is uncomfortable, but am getting used to it. I bought this car for the small footprint, immense cargo space, price and milage and my previous good experience owning a Honda. Will it stand the test of time like my previous Honda and my mom's old Honda?? Tme will tell. This car holds SO much stuff with back seats up or down and I can depend on it getting me from point A to B. Huge plusses. I have no nefarious intent as 'Denny' wrongly surmised. To repeat, nothing here overblown and it's been a horribly time consuming headache. Feedback is feedback. No reason to sugar coat. No reason to invent.

·
Registered
805 Posts
--- SNIP ---

The center console has good deep drink holders, but the rest of it holds almost nothing practical, except spare change and some pencils ; a cd case could fit in the hard-to-reach opening where you plug your usb into. Not sure why that's so inaccessible.

--- SNIP ---
2/3 of the area under the "flying bridge" is occupied by the gear change mechanism ... I haven't checked the part numbers but it appears to be a straight lift from the Fit.

Not as big an issue in the Fit with its console design.

Could'a, should'a been electronic in the HR-V ... with the possibility of space-saving pushbutton shifter ... space-saving both above and below the flying bridge.

My 2¢ ...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts