Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several have commented on what they saw at NYC. I visited today and hit up the HRV, CX3, Soul, and Renegade. Nobody in this forum is interested in the others, so I'll mainly mention my HRV observations.

It was attracting a lot of attention. We waited while several other people climbed through it. One guy didn't know what it was. I gave him a few facts, and he said "I'm going to buy this".

Like somebody else, I found the seat astonishingly hard. It really stuck out - like, "what were they thinking here?". It was a supremely un-Honda-like design fail.

As expected, the cargo area was great. But frankly, the load floor is actually a bit low for comfort. I found the Renegade to be subjectively just as wide, deep, and big, but with a more natural load height. There it is. Decide for yourself.

I didn't like the ugly HVAC vent across the dash. It looked cheap and kind of like an afterthought, as I'd feared. I didn't much like the cheap plastic on the dash. Hey it's just plastic, but it just looks cheap. The interior looks cheap. They better price it accordingly.

Everything else about the car was fine. Sat in the back - plenty of room for two adults. Reconfigured the magic seats myself - very nice, really exactly the same as the Fit. Very nice secret storage compartment below the load floor in the back. As always, the Fit/HRV utility factor is off the charts.

Was sitting in the front with a friend, and we were both bemoaning the fact that there were no knobs. For volume you can use the steering wheel, but I suspect you need to look away and use touch for the heat - can anybody confirm or deny that? Neither one of us thought it was a safe design, and in fact we thought it was an inexplicable act of design stupidity. We both study human factors in our engineering careers, and this really stuck out as DUMB.

The HRV seemed right-sized to us. We both liked it, but we didn't love it. It came across as a very practical smaller CUV, just like you'd expect. They got some things very right. They got some things very wrong. It has uncontroversial styling, high utility, and the Honda name, and it will sell well for those reasons.

In two weeks, everyone can go to the dealer and decide for themselves. How they price it will be a big factor on whether I buy one.

PS: The Renegade is a very strong competitor, except in gas mileage and a polarizing design. The CX-3 is sharp and pretty, but much, much less utilitarian. The Soul, if you don't need AWD and don't hate the styling, is absolutely the bang-for-the-buck winner, hands down, by a large margin.

That's what I saw. That's what I thought.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Several have commented on what they saw at NYC. I visited today and hit up the HRV, CX3, Soul, and Renegade. Nobody in this forum is interested in the others, so I'll mainly mention my HRV observations.

It was attracting a lot of attention. We waited while several other people climbed through it. One guy didn't know what it was. I gave him a few facts, and he said "I'm going to buy this".

Like somebody else, I found the seat astonishingly hard. It really stuck out - like, "what were they thinking here?". It was a supremely un-Honda-like design fail.

As expected, the cargo area was great. But frankly, the load floor is actually a bit low for comfort. I found the Renegade to be subjectively just as wide, deep, and big, but with a more natural load height. There it is. Decide for yourself.

I didn't like the ugly HVAC vent across the dash. It looked cheap and kind of like an afterthought, as I'd feared. I didn't much like the cheap plastic on the dash. Hey it's just plastic, but it just looks cheap. The interior looks cheap. They better price it accordingly.

Everything else about the car was fine. Sat in the back - plenty of room for two adults. Reconfigured the magic seats myself - very nice, really exactly the same as the Fit. Very nice secret storage compartment below the load floor in the back. As always, the Fit/HRV utility factor is off the charts.

Was sitting in the front with a friend, and we were both bemoaning the fact that there were no knobs. For volume you can use the steering wheel, but I suspect you need to look away and use touch for the heat - can anybody confirm or deny that? Neither one of us thought it was a safe design, and in fact we thought it was an inexplicable act of design stupidity. We both study human factors in our engineering careers, and this really stuck out as DUMB.

The HRV seemed right-sized to us. We both liked it, but we didn't love it. It came across as a very practical smaller CUV, just like you'd expect. They got some things very right. They got some things very wrong. It has uncontroversial styling, high utility, and the Honda name, and it will sell well for those reasons.

In two weeks, everyone can go to the dealer and decide for themselves. How they price it will be a big factor on whether I buy one.

PS: The Renegade is a very strong competitor, except in gas mileage and a polarizing design. The CX-3 is sharp and pretty, but much, much less utilitarian. The Soul, if you don't need AWD and don't hate the styling, is absolutely the bang-for-the-buck winner, hands down, by a large margin.

That's what I saw. That's what I thought.
Thanks for the honest review. I hope it is priced right for the level of finish you saw.

Even though I haven't seen it yet, I agree with you about the touchscreen. That is why I will stick with the LX if I buy one.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I know that the climate controls are a big design issue with the HR-V, but I've recently been wondering if because they include "automatic" climate control if that makes things a bit better. I wondering if you can just set the temperature and then let the system take care of it if you would be reaching down to mess with the controls less. I've never driven a car with automatic climate controls before, and I do think manual controls with knobs and buttons will always be better, but I'm wondering if the automatic control might mitigate the form over function value of them.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I know that the climate controls are a big design issue with the HR-V, but I've recently been wondering if because they include "automatic" climate control if that makes things a bit better. I wondering if you can just set the temperature and then let the system take care of it if you would be reaching down to mess with the controls less. I've never driven a car with automatic climate controls before, and I do think manual controls with knobs and buttons will always be better, but I'm wondering if the automatic control might mitigate the form over function value of them.
The automatic climate controls on our 2009 Pilot never gets touched. We have set the temperature and forgotten about it. I can count on two hands the number of times I have played with it. This includes the the fan.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, I agree with the above. Even though I'm aghast at the lack of knobs, it won't necessarily keep me from buying an HRV if I really like it after a test drive. Ditto for the big HVAC vent. Like anything else, after a week you won't even see it. And I think the comment on "set the temp and forget" is spot on.

I mean, let's be honest. We're all bottom-feeding in this price range. These are entry level economy CUVs. So at $20,000 or so, you really do expect to make a few compromises. Also, I don't know what trim I was looking at in NYC.

And when I drove the new Renegade and Soul - they made compromises too. Nobody's perfect, or perhaps I should say "if somebody is perfect, they're probably expensive".

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
The automatic climate controls on our 2009 Pilot never gets touched. We have set the temperature and forgotten about it. I can count on two hands the number of times I have played with it. This includes the the fan.
Make sense.....but in Arizona in the summertime, I would want to crank both the temperature and fan speed up when getting in the car after it's been setting in the sun. Then after driving for a while it may be too cold and I will want to adjust the fan and temperature.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Yea, I agree with the above. Even though I'm aghast at the lack of knobs, it won't necessarily keep me from buying an HRV if I really like it after a test drive. Ditto for the big HVAC vent. Like anything else, after a week you won't even see it. And I think the comment on "set the temp and forget" is spot on.

I mean, let's be honest. We're all bottom-feeding in this price range. These are entry level economy CUVs. So at $20,000 or so, you really do expect to make a few compromises. Also, I don't know what trim I was looking at in NYC.

And when I drove the new Renegade and Soul - they made compromises too. Nobody's perfect, or perhaps I should say "if somebody is perfect, they're probably expensive".

It would work out well for me anyway because the LX is supposed to have the knobs and am I happy with everything else on this level trim.I would not be purchasing an EX anyway.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I HATE the automatic climate controls in my wife Odyssey. Give me manual controls any day.
Ex-cape, can you give your reasons? I'm interested because my current 2003 acura has it and we never use it, mainly because it tends to crank the fan to 747 takeoff levels for the first 5 minutes of any trip. But I'm hopeful newer ones are better and more intelligent... the ILX we've had a few times as courtesy car has dual zone and it seems to work really well.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Make sense.....but in Arizona in the summertime, I would want to crank both the temperature and fan speed up when getting in the car after it's been setting in the sun. Then after driving for a while it may be too cold and I will want to adjust the fan and temperature.
No need to, it's automatic. If it's really hot or cold the fan goes to max. until you are comfy. Our Pilot also senses the humidity and adjusts. :laugh: The windows never fog up:D

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've mentioned my thoughts before on here about the touch screen controls for the heating/AC system. Absolute disgrace and unsafe. No clue what these people are thinking. I dont think there is ONE other company out there that does this. Also, this is coming from a younger guy here. I can't imagine what my mother or father or anyone above the age of 40 would think sitting in a Honda having to look away and play with a screen to control volume or air conditioning.

On my Civic i'm just learning to get used to ONLY using the volume button on the wheel but as far as the heating/AC, can anyone confirm if buttons for this will at least be on the HRV steering wheel??

·
Registered
632 Posts
I've mentioned my thoughts before on here about the touch screen controls for the heating/AC system. Absolute disgrace and unsafe. No clue what these people are thinking. I dont think there is ONE other company out there that does this. Also, this is coming from a younger guy here. I can't imagine what my mother or father or anyone above the age of 40 would think sitting in a Honda having to look away and play with a screen to control volume or air conditioning.

On my Civic i'm just learning to get used to ONLY using the volume button on the wheel but as far as the heating/AC, can anyone confirm if buttons for this will at least be on the HRV steering wheel??
I doubt climate controls will be a function on the steering wheel.

Also, to play devil's advocate, there are other car companies that do the touchscreens for everything. Mostly high end cars, the first that comes to mind is that is how Tesla does it in their cars.

Telsa

Porsche 918 Spyder​

Dodge Charger

·
Registered
39 Posts
I used to have a Prius. I pressed the button on the steering wheel, said temperature 72, and it changed. Come into the future, grasshopper. Don't be afraid...

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
That's exactly why I love automatic climate and would never own anything else. The fan doesn't increase until the car warms up accordingly. Then go to the maximum heating or cooling until the selected temp is reached. Set it and forget it!

I HATE the automatic climate controls in my wife Odyssey. Give me manual controls any day.
Ex-cape, can you give your reasons? I'm interested because my current 2003 acura has it and we never use it, mainly because it tends to crank the fan to 747 takeoff levels for the first 5 minutes of any trip. But I'm hopeful newer ones are better and more intelligent... the ILX we've had a few times as courtesy car has dual zone and it seems to work really well.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Sure, but I want to preface my response first before being accused of being an old geezer that cannot handle technology. I am a gadget guy, IT Professional, former auto electronics designer, geek, and so forth.

What I don't like when driving is the overly complex, unintuitive interface required to make simple changes. You have to LOOK at the screen to make the right choices, the fan will spool up like a turbine at times, and it is not "set & forget" as often one needs defog/defrost and so forth. From a company that makes fine motorcycles like the Goldwing that have excellent ergonomic and controls that can be manipulated by touch and feel, I would have expected better. The Odyssey's controls often frustrate me, and probably more likely to invoke road rage than inconsiderate, errant drivers to those prone.

I have dealt with many consumer and industrial electronic products over the years, to the point of detecting the nuances between Japanese, American and European command structures and menu hierarchies, but our 2011 Honda borders on being unsafe.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Thanks Ex-cape. I completely agree that touch-screen controls make no sense in a car; tactile controls and muscle memory are far safer. That's the reason airplanes have flap controls shaped like a flap, and gear switches shaped like a wheel, and engine controls in standard locations, shapes and colours.

But I predict the total glass cockpit will soon be standard in all cars. Software is just so much simpler and cheaper to engineer, customize, roll out, and implement than entire switch sets designed for each model. There's going to be few years here between old-school eyes-on-the-road driving and true self-driving vehicles where increasing distractions and complexity in the cabin continue to degrade safety.

Be careful out there, folks.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
My 2004 Accord EX-L V6 had dual zone automatic climate controls. As long as I was the only one in the car, I never touched it. My bride, on the other hand, would always mess with her side. She thinks cranking the heat to 100 makes a furnace warm the house faster than setting it at 72 and waiting though. I can see setting and forgetting here. Not concerned about the glass, and it is much better than the complex wheels, knobs, track balls, etc. many new cars.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
No need to, it's automatic. If it's really hot or cold the fan goes to max. until you are comfy. Our Pilot also senses the humidity and adjusts. :laugh: The windows never fog up:D

Ok.....that makes sense. But I really like to change the fan speed a lot while I am driving. Nothing like having the knobs so I won't have to check out the screen to change it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts