Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I waited a year for the HRV but ended up buying the RAV4 instead. Loved hrv for its look, functionality and gas mileage. Perfect size for our need. The deal breaker was the lack of power seat and current pricing. I am 5'11 and my wife is 5'1" and she likes to seat real high and very close to the steering wheel. Therefore everytime i try to get in the driver seat I have to actually adjust the seat even before i can get in. Having manual seat Is a pain in that aspect. Also the pricing at this point is MSRP and i have never paid MSRP. For $2000 more i got the rav4 limited with the tech package and all the bells and whistles. oh! And it comes with memory seats. Also 0% financing from toyota sweetened the deal. I still love the hrv but just didnt workout for me at this time. May be in a few years. Good luck to all hrv buyers. It has been a pleasure following this forum.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Great to hear and thanks for letting us know.

Sounds like something bigger similar to the CRV works better for your needs. ENJOY!

I waited a year for the HRV but ended up buying the RAV4 instead. Loved hrv for its look, functionality and gas mileage. Perfect size for our need. The deal breaker was the lack of power seat and current pricing. I am 5'11 and my wife is 5'1" and she likes to seat real high and very close to the steering wheel. Therefore everytime i try to get in the driver seat I have to actually adjust the seat even before i can get in. Having manual seat Is a pain in that aspect. Also the pricing at this point is MSRP and i have never paid MSRP. For $2000 more i got the rav4 limited with the tech package and all the bells and whistles. oh! And it comes with memory seats. Also 0% financing from toyota sweetened the deal. I still love the hrv but just didnt workout for me at this time. May be in a few years. Good luck to all hrv buyers. It has been a pleasure following this forum.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great to hear and thanks for letting us know.

Sounds like something bigger similar to the CRV works better for your needs. ENJOY

Actually HRV would have been the perfect size. Wish it had power seats! Owned hondas for past 15 years and still own another one and i am very partial to honda. Little nervous to have a toyota for the first time. Thank you for your wish.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts

Congrats!
I have been obsessive about visiting all the dealers over and over. Many times I keep going back to look at the HRV and CX-5. I have looked at the Rouge and even went back to look at CR-V again. I keep circling back to the RAV4. So that is probably what I will buy. (Currently an LE can be had for $600-700 more than an HRV LX CVT).
Now I am waiting to see what the 2016 is like. If that doesn't appeal to me, I will probably purchase a year end RAV4.

Waiting also gives me more time to see what else comes out. It helps that I am not in a hurry to buy anything.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Enjoy your RAV4!

I test drove one and it was not working for me. I am 5'2" and drove an XLE model which did not have the power seat. I had the seat all the way up and the left side of the hood was blocking my vision a little bit and I found that very distracting. Something I could probably get used to, but would rather not wait to find out. But could not see the radio/backup camera display well at all. The salesman said it was because my seat was further forward, but I can't change that! Not like I will grow taller....lol.

From a dog crate or two in the back perspective, the rear seats do not lay flat. They do lay flatter than the CR-V, but the HR-V has both vehicles beat in this category. They used to lay flat in the RAV4 before this current redesign, I know as I have friends who have them.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I drove one earlier this year, but was shocked by the price...over $30,000 but still couldn't match Honda's ownership costs: http://www.intellichoice.com/1-12-2015-58267-0/2015-toyota-rav4-limited-awd-4dr-sport-utility.html

Also found the cabin materials to feel rather cheap given the price of the RAV4. Also MPG: 22 City / 29 Hwy...too low.

If looking for one, definitely consider only the 2015 as the 2014 RAV4 crash test were poor for the Small Overlap Front Test Results. :(:(

Enjoy your RAV4!

I test drove one and it was not working for me. I am 5'2" and drove an XLE model which did not have the power seat. I had the seat all the way up and the left side of the hood was blocking my vision a little bit and I found that very distracting. Something I could probably get used to, but would rather not wait to find out. But could not see the radio/backup camera display well at all. The salesman said it was because my seat was further forward, but I can't change that! Not like I will grow taller....lol.

From a dog crate or two in the back perspective, the rear seats do not lay flat. They do lay flatter than the CR-V, but the HR-V has both vehicles beat in this category. They used to lay flat in the RAV4 before this current redesign, I know as I have friends who have them.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Did not know that about the 2014 crash tests. I liked the interior, just not the display I could not see.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Yeah I did not either until I was taking a look at it and was rather surprised yet disappointed. Here is the 2013 crash test which is identical to the 2014 seems they didn't make a change until the November 2014 production date which then got a good rating.

Did not know that about the 2014 crash tests. I liked the interior, just not the display I could not see.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts

The Fit also had horrible crash test results. Honda did a quick redo on it and it does well now. Kudos to Toyota and Honda for fixing these problems and making their cars safer.

I also liked the interior of the RAV4. The CRV interior was just too drab for me.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Toyota actually fixed the front overlap crash issue in 2015 model. http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/toyota/rav4-4-door-suv/2015
Mine is 2015 and i did buy it about 4200 below msrp.
CRV never actually appealed to me for the exterior design and I also found the rav4 interior to have more premium feel.
I hear you on the CR-V exterior. I just couldn't get past the mini-van looks. I am single with no kids so I would feel silly being the only occupant of a mini-van.

·
Registered
332 Posts
The Fit also had horrible crash test results. Honda did a quick redo on it and it does well now. Kudos to Toyota and Honda for fixing these problems and making their cars safer.

I also liked the interior of the RAV4. The CRV interior was just too drab for me.
I liked the interiors of all three. :) But for me the HR-V works the best because of the magic seats.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have heard that from many people, so I am not the first to view it that way.

Add sliding side doors and it would be hard to see the difference. :)
Yep. When I look at it I see minivan. I liked the look of the older model better. That said, I'm no fan of the look of the current RAV-4 either.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Agree and offering the most versatility, but as MT called it: "reliable, stylish, efficient, and fun transportation"

Still, it speaks volumes by the over 6,300 people who bought one in May 2015...now that is impressive.

I liked the interiors of all three. :) But for me the HR-V works the best because of the magic seats.

·
Registered
21 Posts
We currently own both, Rav4 is the wife's and I have the HRV. Honestly it was her Rav4 that made me trade my 6 month old 2015 WRX for the HRV. I was tired of getting beat up on bad roads and with so much traffic I never got to play with the power much. It also made the manual more of a pain than fun. I got in trade almost what I paid but had to pay MSRP for the HRV plus hicked up installed dealer add ons I didn't want including stupid logack. If someone steals my car I don't want it back.

The Rav4's seats has the HRV beat in spades. I could sleep and drive all day in those things, granted they have zero bolstering. It is also of course a bit larger which I don't care about except when we loaded our 60' TV from BB without issue lol. That aside, the interior is noisy and beyond cheap, it is also much slower than the HRV with worse gas millage.

I do give the Rav4 major props for protecting my family though, a kid in a new Camero slammed into the side of her on the hwy 2 weeks ago, she was in the exit lane & he noticed last second that he was going to miss his exit and whipped it over 3 lanes right into her. Our baby boy in the back seat didn't even wake up lmao. Both of her doors had to be replaced, granted they still worked but due to internal damage she couldn't roll down the windows except half way. The Camero's door wouldn't open, it also destroyed the whole right half of his car including the wheels. We've already got the Rav back looking like new, thank you lord he had USAA and was honest.

In the end, she wouldn't trade hers for mine nor would I trade for the Rav. This is my 4th Honda and her 2nd Toyota. We are both die hard fans of each camp. Best two car makers IMO as far as reliability.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts