Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I've posted on here, I waited a year for the HR-V as an upgrade to my 13 base Fit. As I get older, I value more creature comforts.

After test driving the LX, EX and EX-L HR-Vs over the past 3 days, I decided to take the CR-V EX out for a drive. I am a 25 year Honda owner and I've had the original CR-V, gen 2 CR-V as well as Civics and Fits. I've admired the new gen EX for the past few years, but the lack of tilt heated seats in the EX model kept me away.

Well, the 15 CR-V has both heated and tilt seats! I jumped from the HR-V into the CR-V and within five minutes I had made my decision. My long time dealer is putting together an offer for me, and I predict there won't be much more than 2k price difference between the HR-V EX and the CR-V EX. But, what I will gain in creature comforts, ample cubby space and a lovely center console plus much more HP will be more than worth it.

I still recommend the HR-V to anyone who is looking for a solid unique vehicle in this new niche class of small CUVs. The HR-V is head and shoulders above the new Fit, albeit at a much higher price.

I temper my post on lack of cubby space as I made a point to check out space in the HR-V. There are two small slots on either side of the center console that my Starbucks Lone Star card would fit. But, cubby space is severely lacking.

So, I don't want to dash anyone's love for the HR-V. It is a sweet vehicle and I predict Honda has a huge hit on its hands. But, the value to me is with the CR-V EX. :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Puget Sound...? Seattle proper or suburbs/rural? I can't even imagine trying to deal with a CRV in any Seattle parking garage, especially my weekly grocery store garage. :eek:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is more to Puget Sound than Seattle. :laugh: I live outside of Olympia and thankfully don't have to deal with Seattle parking garages.

But, my 15 Outback has handled many a Seattle parking garage with no problems. I can't imagine a CR-V wouldn't do the same.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I took drivers ed in good old Oly, it's a whole different beast living up here. Nothing beats whipping into parking spots at Trader Joes that Outbacks can't get into with my Fit. :) My mom recently got a Rav 4 living out there and loves it but I do the driving when she visits me. have fun with the CRV! Did you shop at the auto mall? I'm still debating if I want to venture out of King County to save a percent or two of sales tax.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With the price feelers I put out around the south Puget Sound, most dealers are doing MSRP on the HR-V, but West Hills in Bremerton was going 250 under MSRP.

Might be worth a swing down to Oly to save some tax $.

The Fit is a real treat when handling tight spots that's for sure. But, I'm so anal I don't squeeze in anywhere for fear of dings!

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
As I've posted on here, I waited a year for the HR-V as an upgrade to my 13 base Fit. As I get older, I value more creature comforts.

After test driving the LX, EX and EX-L HR-Vs over the past 3 days, I decided to take the CR-V EX out for a drive. I am a 25 year Honda owner and I've had the original CR-V, gen 2 CR-V as well as Civics and Fits. I've admired the new gen EX for the past few years, but the lack of tilt heated seats in the EX model kept me away.

Well, the 15 CR-V has both heated and tilt seats! I jumped from the HR-V into the CR-V and within five minutes I had made my decision. My long time dealer is putting together an offer for me, and I predict there won't be much more than 2k price difference between the HR-V EX and the CR-V EX. But, what I will gain in creature comforts, ample cubby space and a lovely center console plus much more HP will be more than worth it.

I still recommend the HR-V to anyone who is looking for a solid unique vehicle in this new niche class of small CUVs. The HR-V is head and shoulders above the new Fit, albeit at a much higher price.

I temper my post on lack of cubby space as I made a point to check out space in the HR-V. There are two small slots on either side of the center console that my Starbucks Lone Star card would fit. But, cubby space is severely lacking.

So, I don't want to dash anyone's love for the HR-V. It is a sweet vehicle and I predict Honda has a huge hit on its hands. But, the value to me is with the CR-V EX. :)
That slot is for cell phones. :) Actually a pretty cool touch. I am rethinking my objection to storage space. I may bring in the typical stuff I carry in my car so see if it will fit. :)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Well, I am not going through with the CR-V deal as Honda has a major issue on its hands with the vibration problems in the 2015.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6K6JPh7zak&spfreload=10

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners...ia.model=CR-V&searchCriteria.prod_ids=1980651

Still not sold on the HR-V:(
I think waiting a while will solve the problem. If Honda is anything, they are an engineering company first, and an automotive company second. There is no doubt in my mind they will resolve this issue of vibration on the CR-V. It will be interesting to find out what causes the problem and how they resolve it.

In the mean time, if you can't wait, you still have the option of HR-V. You might even consider a short term lease until Honda can resolve this CR-V issue.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Vanguard, I also have faith Honda will address his issue. As a 25 year loyal customer, I expect they will make it right and I am very curious what the problem is and what the fix will be. The 15 CR-V is an excellent vehicle!

My 13 Fit is a trusty little beast, but I just want a bit more comfort for the old bones and I love the new technology.

I can wait.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Me, too!!

Well, the 15 CR-V has both heated and tilt seats! I jumped from the HR-V into the CR-V and within five minutes I had made my

I really, really, really wanted the HR-V to be my next car....I fell in love with it long before I saw it in person. I sat in it and thought, ok not too bad, I can do this. I saw the color I wanted and then went to drive. Thought it was smooth, but the seat just didn't go back quite far enough and I couldn't adjust it enough to work for me. I'm not a youngster and I could just tell that I'd get cramping in my hip & ankle. I drive over an hour to and from work every day....comfort is soooo important for me. Ultimately, I had to get real and decided I'd better get the bigger car with adjustable seats. It's a CR-V EX-L no navi. Beautiful maroon color....will be picking it up on Sat! Can't wait!!

I'm not unhappy with my decision - I think I knew it could come down to this. Was just holding on to the dream...I hope everyone that buys the HR-V has a blast with it!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Congrats on the CRV i have a 2010 and love it. Thinking of trading it in for the HRV. Just really need something better on gas the crv is giving me 17s in the city and about 24s on the highway. This is before they Put the ED engine and cvt. Good luck my friend..

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm currently at a crossroads. My trusty 2000 Civic EX is approaching 225K. My goal was to wait for a 2016 CR-V (Sept/Oct I'm guessing?) as I didn't want to deal with the potential vibration issues on a 2015.

My car broke down the other day, had to get it towed. A few hundred bucks to replace coils and other stuff and it's running again, but I'm worried about making it another few months.

Most of the reviews I've seen online complain about the sluggishness of the HR-V. I'm not sure that's a big concern for me as my daily commute is through a single-lane state road that's surrounded by farms. If I ever have to pass anything it's a slow-moving tractor. :)

I do want to stay with Honda, and my local dealer is great. But I have reservations about a "1.0" version of a car as well as wondering what the quality control of the Mexico plant is vs a U.S. plant.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For a little city runabout, the HR-V wouldn't be bad. I couldn't quite get comfy in the seats either. Not bad, but something seemed off. It was like it had a slight downward slant. But, each body is different.

As far as 1st year, the HR-V has the Civic engine which is tried and true. The Mexico plant is in its second year after rolling out the Fits last year. There were definitely quality issues there. I followed the Fit forum also last year, but couldn't bring myself to buy the Fit.

Overall, the HR-V is a disappointment. My hopes were just higher than the reality. The more I drove, the more the slit in the dash for the air bothered me. It's downright crude.

And, the 15 CR-V fiasco is gaining more and more press on the internet.

Honda, come back! I used to trust you explicitly. Sad!

·
Registered
332 Posts
I'm currently at a crossroads. My trusty 2000 Civic EX is approaching 225K. My goal was to wait for a 2016 CR-V (Sept/Oct I'm guessing?) as I didn't want to deal with the potential vibration issues on a 2015.

My car broke down the other day, had to get it towed. A few hundred bucks to replace coils and other stuff and it's running again, but I'm worried about making it another few months.

I am in the same position as you.....my 2001 Jeep Cherokee has been in the shop 3 times in this past week. First a power steering pump, then a hose, now a radiator. 1K later and am wondering what is next. I really need to replace it now and am worried that if I don't will just keep putting more money into it.

Going back tomorrow to test drive the HR-V and CR-V again, this time on the highway. First time I was there was Friday and it was rush hour so no way to drive very far, just around the side streets a little near the dealer. Both vehicles have things I dislike, but at this point it is narrowed down to these two. The only other vehicle I would consider waiting for would be the 2016 Forester, but not sure I can wait that long.

If I decide on the HRV, I am really liking the green, after seeing some pics posted here. I found a green EX in Frederick MD and if they still have it on Saturday, will most likely go to take a look at the green in person.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Vibration problem with 2015 CRV

Keep in mind their is an ongoing problem that even CR has called out regarding the vibrations. Many are holding off buying a 2015 CRV to see if Honda can or ends up fixing it.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/honda_crv.html

http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/14-problems-issues/63138-2015-honda-cr-v-vibration-idle.html

I am in the same position as you.....my 2001 Jeep Cherokee has been in the shop 3 times in this past week. First a power steering pump, then a hose, now a radiator. 1K later and am wondering what is next. I really need to replace it now and am worried that if I don't will just keep putting more money into it.

Going back tomorrow to test drive the HR-V and CR-V again, this time on the highway. First time I was there was Friday and it was rush hour so no way to drive very far, just around the side streets a little near the dealer. Both vehicles have things I dislike, but at this point it is narrowed down to these two. The only other vehicle I would consider waiting for would be the 2016 Forester, but not sure I can wait that long.

If I decide on the HRV, I am really liking the green, after seeing some pics posted here. I found a green EX in Frederick MD and if they still have it on Saturday, will most likely go to take a look at the green in person.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Ok I am doing something wrong when I replied with a quote, but not sure what.
You can edit what's inside of the quote, but you have to leave the opening and closing tags alone. They look like this, but with square brackets, not curlys: Opening tag: {QUOTE=...}
Closing tag: {/QUOTE}

The brackets and everything between them is important.

Cheers...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts