Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi and thanks for the add.
My daughter leased a new 2020 hrv last September. Recently the warning lights for all the cars systems has come on. She took it to the dealer and they said the battery needs to be charged because its not being driven enough. Never heard of that.
Yesterday all the lights are back on but the car does start fine. I spoke to the service department and they told me this is complete normal because of all the technology built in and I should consider hooking the car up to a trickle charger when not using it!
This is ridiculous.
I m trying to get ahold of the service manager.
Anybody hear of this?
Dave

·
Registered
462 Posts
there is some truth- but what exactly is " driven enough "
and how often does it sit 'undriven' ?

The battery is very small in the HR-V and a lot of people have an issue as they don't last that long (3 years or so I think is what people here have reported).
If it was sitting on the dealer lot for a few weeks before she leased it - could just need a full charge, and have the battery tested too.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Before you run back to your dealer, that is trying to blow you off, take some voltage measurements.
At the battery: engine off, engine on. In the cabin: engine on, driving around.

....Yesterday all the lights are back on but the car does start fine....

^^ This doesn't sound like a battery issue. A voltmeter will confirm.
Of course all the dash lights should never be on, even if the battery is the issue.

As John mentioned, the HRV does have a small battery and variable charging strategy.
A search on this forum for HRV battery issues will bring up a tons of threads and info.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Car batteries don't function like normal batteries in our phones or laptops. They are acid based and are designed to always be fully or near fully charged. Cars batteries loose a bit of their charge naturally just sitting unused, but newer cars tend to have electronics that still use a bit of battery even when off. Remote start systems are the worst in terms of draining the battery. If a car battery ever goes completely dead, its life expectancy drops prematurely. Even if you recharge it to full, the damage is done and that battery will never last as long as a battery that has never gone full dead.

Trickle chargers are great to prevent that if its not driven much, saying you have a garage. Otherwise just drive it for at least 30 mins on the freeway once a week and it should help. Its not just the HRV, its any car with an acid based battery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, already did the voltage check with a DMM.
Engine off, 12.6 vdc.
Running, 14.5 vdc.
I'm going to try to take it to the original dealer she leased it from tomorrow not the one she went to.
You are probably wondering why she didn't just go there in the first place, because the original dealer does not do diagnostics on Saturday, just simple stuff like oil changes etc.

·
Registered
2019 and 2020 HR-V EXs
235 Posts
'Engine off' reading: was that after an overnight rest? Makes a difference.

Honda uses a system to save gasoline so that the car runs off the battery at times (no strain due to alternator demand). This can be overridden by running with the headlamps on (as a test).

there is some truth- but what exactly is " driven enough "
and how often does it sit 'undriven' ?
IMPORTANT QUESTIONS. ^^^

Your daughter should ask the dealer to do a Load Test of the car's battery. The multiple warning lights happen when the voltage drops, and the electronics 'gets confused'.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update
Brought it to the dealer and gave them the backstop.
45 minutes later the service advisor has the console cover in his hand. Daughter spilled a sugary drink all over the console, this gummed up to electric parking brake switch. According to the dealer if the switch is damaged or defective it causes l kinds of problems. It would cost $260 to replace the switch and it can't be a warranty claim because this is considered abuse, which I understand.
I told the advisor let me try one thing and if it doesn't work I'll bring the car back for repair.
At home I removed the cover, took out the switch, took it apart. Inside it is a pc board with momentary contacts. I sprayed it down with electrical contact cleaner and then blew it out with compressed air.
Reassembled, cleared codes with my scanner.
It's been two days now and no issues, maybe I fixed it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts