Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a 2021 VTi-S and it has an annoying warning sound when the LED high beam is activated when either stationary or low speed. The sound will stop eventually when the car is stationary. When driving at low speed (under 60kph) and you activate high beam the sound occurs but as you increase speed above 60kph the sound stops. Activate high beam at a high speed and all is OK, however, if driving at say 80kph with high beam on and you touch the brakes the sound comes on.

I have spoken to the Dealer's Service Department and they are going to look into it but was wondering if any other Forum member has had this occur?

NB: We had the Dealer fit aftermarket front and rear dash cams and front parking sensors prior to taking delivery of the vehicle otherwise all standard fitout.

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
436 Posts
Let me start off with, I generally hate high beam. This is because of all the idiots that use it in areas that are already brightly lit and have oncoming traffic. And one of the first things I did with my HR-V was turn off auto-high beam.

I don't use high beam at high speeds, namely cause I'm never on any road thats both dark enough and fast enough to require it. At low speeds I only use it as a flash response to other drivers that insist on keeping theirs on, hoping to get their attention to turn it down to low beam... or other shit like that (swerving/drifitng into oncoming traffic for one).

That said, the only thing I can tell you is what the US version of the 2019 HR-V Touring (LED headlights) does with high beam.

It does NOT make any warning sounds with regards to high beam. Doesn't matter if it's low speed, high speed or stopped. Nor does it matter if its manually turned ON of automatically.

Incidentally, the auto-high beam function requires it to be at or above 45 mph (72 kph) for it to work.

Looking at it from another angle, it's possible that it's a new "feature" of the 2021 HR-V... to remind people to NOT use high beam at lower speeds. The theory is that low beam should be more than adequate, lighting up the necessary range at that speed.

It's just a guess on my part based on the speed minimum for auto-high beam to work.

Then again, there is a warning... for failure, according to the owner's manual. But it doesn't say what kind of failure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Goobers, Thanks for your reply. In Australia where I live high beam is essential for night driving due to the number of animals like Koalas, Hares and Kangaroos that cross or graze beside the roads at night. Trust me when I say that big kangaroos can cause massive vehicle damage as well as personal injury. NB: The Australian version allows high beam to be turned on at any speed or stationary.

You could be right about it being a warning due to low speed but I discussed this with the Dealer Service Manager and he is unaware of any such warning. However he will contact the main office and try to find out why the warning buzzer sounds. Be interesting to get their response. Nor does the Manual refer to any high beam warning other than a blue symbol on the dash when activated. I am also taking the vehicle back to them later this week for them to check the issue. Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Problem identified. Honda workshop foreman identified that the sound was coming from the aftermarket Front Parking Sensor Unit under the dash. Turn off the front parking sensors and no issue. Honda Dealer has put in a claim to have the supplier correct the issue. NB: There was no issue when first installed but the sensors were replaced due to an incorrect paint color code being used. Hopefully end of the saga.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just to finish off, the technician from the aftermarket company traced the issue to the location where he had fixed the Front Parking Sensor Unit under the dash. As soon as he moved the Unit the noise stopped. Moved the unit back and the noise started again. Obviously, the Unit was getting interference from somewhere close by - what? Who knows!!!

The unit was relocated under the dash and now all is OK. FIXED.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts