Honda HR-V Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Is there a video or description somewhere showing how to remove the rear spoiler?

There is some info in the Honda HRV service manual but its very limited.

Adding more detail to my previous post:

2 people is best. Put a shop blanket over the rear of the HRV roof, so you don't scratch the roof.
There are 2 10mm bolts that screw into the underside of the hatch at each end of the spoiler.
Be careful since the spoiler is plastic and needs a fair bit of force to release it from the 8 or so pop pins.
The spoiler pop pins are a unique design and quite durable.
None broke when I removed our rear hatch spoiler to eliminate it's rattling and to tint the 3rd brake light in the spoiler.
If any of the pins break, you WONT want to install the spoiler and then remove it.
Perhaps calling the dealer to confirm local stock before removing the spoiler is best.
If no replacement pins are local and you need to drive the HRV, use something like duct tape to cover all the hatchback frame holes while you wait for the pins to arrive.

Once the spoiler is loose, set it on the blanket while you disconnect the washer fluid hose and the electrical connector.
Check all the pins to see if any are broken and to make sure the bases did not pull out from the hatch.
There are thin rubber O-rings around each pin. Make sure none are torn or missing. These are too thin to do anything but are likely for water sealing or anti-rattling.
I put peel and stick 1/8" thick foam weatherstripping on the bottom edge against the glass and a few spots on the top to eliminate rattling.
The foam will compress when re-installing the spoiler and it will no longer rattle when driving and when closing the hatch.
I put chassis grease in each plastic base for all the pins for water sealing.
Putting clear silicon in each push pin would water proof them nicely but then the spoiler is never coming off again!

Hope this info helps...

Reactions: Gizmogal

·
Registered
14 Posts
Has anyone had any water accumulation in the rear hatch door? When opening and closing the hatch we can hear water sloshing around. We pulled one of the panel clips loose and were able to drain off most of the water any ideas out there?
yes started at the beginning of this year 2019 with a dripping now is a river coming out every time it rains and I open the rear gate. Took it to Honda dealer and a tech recommended to replace the gaskets of the 3 rear lights attached to the rear door but Honda wanted $80.00 for the parts and $250 for labor. I refused since in 40 years of buying new cars this is the first time that after 3 years a car starts dripping water inside the body. This shows poor craftsmanship in parts and labor from Honda. Needless to say, I am trading the car to let another consumer be upset with Honda.which they refuse to fix even theTHE CAR HAS 5 YEARS WARRANTY AGAINST RUST FROM THE INSIDE OUT. Great job Honda

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
With this issue, folks have come up with a pretty easy fix/DIY. Will save you money as you will lose thousands trading in this car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
With this issue, folks have come up with a pretty easy fix/DIY. Will save you money as you will lose thousands trading in this car.
I know but my thought is, why should I be repairing new cars after 3 years (1st time in my life in 40 years of buying new cars, all makes and models) and 38k mi FOR WATER LEAKS? This is a sign that the car's craftmanship in parts and labor are not up to standards. Get rid of the car before everything else starts falling apart. Get another 30 mpg car, get a Toyota.

·
Banned
609 Posts
ceja, I am sorry that you had problems. Some have not. I still have not. I like Honda's, and this site is not here to recommend other brands

·
Registered
14 Posts
I apologized if I was over sighted in this discussion of HRV in advrtizing other car makes. I am sorry. But this is how I feel about the fact that my new $26000 car is been flooded evry time it rains after 3 yrs of use and 38K milea and Honda wants $250 for labor and $80.00 for parts but I also want to share this with you. I just look at the spare tire today and for the firs time since I noticed the water leakage in the car. Besides the rear gate door getting flooded, I just noticed that the spare tire well is filled w lots of water. The fact that after 3 yrs of use and 38K mi a car is leaking water inside a car corroding the body from the inside out and creating mold because Honda refuses to take responsability for bad craftmasnship in parts and labor is not acceptable, even if I have the means. In 40 yrs of buying new cars, I have never had this issue with a new car after 3 yrs.. I appologize for promoting other brands in this forum. V/R
ceja111

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes, that might be true under the constitution but he is right, this is an HRV forum and is not cool of my part to promote other makes and models here.

·
Registered
196 Posts
... Needless to say, I am trading the car to let another consumer be upset with Honda.which they refuse to fix even the THE CAR HAS 5 YEARS WARRANTY AGAINST RUST FROM THE INSIDE OUT. Great job Honda

This is a technical forum and I'm a technical guy so I don't get these type of posts at all.

Trade the vehicle in for a simple water leak??

It's entirely up to you but are going to be spending a ton of money trying to find the perfect vehicle that has no issues ever...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well it is like this, after 3 years water getting into a main car's door and ithe spare tire's well by the buckets (i am not kidding) is a sign that your investment will be depreciating quicker than u thought. The logic thing to do is cut ur loses and save what u can of that bad investment before it goes to zero in an accelerated manner. Does it sound crazy to you? :)

·
Banned
609 Posts
Einz, this could very easily be flooded with advertizing for other car makes. Mentioning another brand is fine, but this is an HRV forum. If a problem occurred on every HRV, that is one thing...but so far I have not had one problem with my car, so let's try to help those that somehow do. No brand is perfect.

·
Super Moderator
1,693 Posts
That's why there is Mod here. I can tell what is advertisement and what is not. The are deleted spam posts no one ever sees.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone had any water accumulation in the rear hatch door? When opening and closing the hatch we can hear water sloshing around. We pulled one of the panel clips loose and were able to drain off most of the water any ideas out there?
My 2018 HRV has water in the hatch door and I hope my dealership handles this and that I am not charged. It seems like others are having the same issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes my 2016 HRV started last jan 2019 before warranty expired when I took it finally the car had 38k mi and therefore it was out of warranty and the dealer wanted $250 labor and $80 parts to strat replacing gaskets as troubleshooting. I refused to pay for repairs in a car that it was practically new and buckets , yes buckets of water were accumulating in the tail gate and in the spare tire well. Did you look at it yet? I reported to honda and because of this forum I found a lot of people with the same problem. When I complint to Honda. Honda called me and I told them that a lot of people were having this issue and it seems it warranted a recall, I was told: " no there is not reason for a recall in this issue." I refused to keep a car that after 3 yrs is leaking waters by the buckets (first time in 45 years of buying cars) which it is a sign of poor craftsmanship. since I was not going to fix it and neither Honda, I cut my loses and traded the car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having this same problem. Bought a 2016 used 18 months ago and have just now heard a lot of water in the hatch door.
If I took the spoiler off, do I then have to seal the holes from the pins?
I’m having this very same problem for the 6 months. I have a 2016 Honda Hrv that I bought new. It just started last October 2019. I can open the hatch and hear water swooshing around. I unscrewed the plugs and let the water drain out but it just fills up again. I took it to the dealer the other day and they said I would have to pay $129 for them to look at it and give me a quote to fix it. It sounds like this needs to be a recall. Very frustrating!!

21 - 40 of 52 Posts