Honda HR-V Forum banner
41 - 60 of 87 Posts

Registered
2019 and 2020 HR-V EXs
There are supposed to be drain holes (or slots) in the bottom of the rear hatch (and side doors too, for that matter) that allow water to drain out. Over time, debris such as pollen can block these drains.

They should be in the inside seam indicated by the arrows.

You could verify that they are clean by inserting a pipe cleaner into them (WAIT! Are pipe cleaners still available? 馃え :giggle: ) or a plastic zip-tie.

Registered
Has anyone had any water accumulation in the rear hatch door? When opening and closing the hatch we can hear water sloshing around. We pulled one of the panel clips loose and were able to drain off most of the water any ideas out there?
I had the same model from new last year started accumulating water inside the rear door and the tire well by the buckets every time it rains. Took the car w 3 years 38K miles to Honda since is a body defect to let rain water in at 3 yrs 38K miles . Honda told me that they wanted $250.00 labor and $80 parts to star changing seals to try to determine which one was leaking. I told the dealer that in 41 years buying cars this was the first time I got a car that it was leaking so muck water after 3 yrs. I refused to fix it Honda refused to fix it. This facts indicated to me that craftsmanship and materials were cheap and unreliable. Since Honda did not fix it and I was not going to fix it for the principle that is a 3 yrs old car, I traded the car.

Registered
There are supposed to be drain holes (or slots) in the bottom of the rear hatch (and side doors too, for that matter) that allow water to drain out. Over time, debris such as pollen can block these drains.

They should be in the inside seam indicated by the arrows.
View attachment 30189
You could verify that they are clean by inserting a pipe cleaner into them (WAIT! Are pipe cleaners still available? 馃え :giggle: ) or a plastic zip-tie.
Has anyone had success in stopping water in their hatch door by any of the troubleshooting or methods mentioned? My 2016 Honda HRV (I鈥檓 the original owner and never had this with my previous Honda CRV that I owned for 17 years) began collecting water inside the hatch door itself a month ago, during the pandemic. I opened hatch to put bags of groceries in and water started dripping out of the locking bar area and heard sloshing water. I lifted it up and down several times and each time I heard sloshing and had water dripping out. It drips into the trunk and outside the car depending on how high the hatch is. Every time it rains it fills with more and more water. I can鈥檛 put anything in trunk that could get damaged by water dripping water, for short or long periods. The hot summer is coming and the water will get moldy and smelly. And probably begin rusting the metal. In winter it will become a frozen block of ice, weighing down the hatch and that too, will become a safety hazard. I can not locate the weep holes in the photo provided in the thread with arrows. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Registered
I am waiting for the dust accumulation to fill up the rear lights gaskets and make it waterproof . Still the water gets in and deposit along the weatherstrip each time it is rained on. Not a large oozing of water but if not drained at the weather strip , it goes into the spare wheel well. I put tissue paper on the weather strip to leak out the water , have not had the time to remove the taillights - I will find the service manual yet

noelmem5

Registered
I purchased my 2016 Honda HRV brand new, but in the last 2 years, I noticed water filling up inside the back hatch door after rain. I wrote Honda & was told to take it back to the dealer service manager to correct it. Supposedly, it was fixed & they also couldn't find where water was coming from, yet I still had the issue afterward. I asked about it again & was told they didn't know what else to do for it. I just found a company based in Canada called Leakpro, they are trying to expand & build up more franchises throughout the United States, but so far only have people in Alabama & North Carolina. My parents live outside of Charlotte, NC, so I contacted Leakpro when I visited. They come to your home & use dye & water to find the leak, then correct it. They guarantee the work for at least 1 year & are Honda Certified. I have read on the internet, seen people having this same issue on this forum, watched you tube videos of people showing how to fix leaks themselves, so I know the issue with Hondas, & Leakpro said they fix quite a few of these vehicles. The leak was coming from my tail lights & I am so happy it has been fixed now! I am going to attempt to turn in my invoice to Honda to see if they will reimburse me since they failed to correct the issue & also do not acknowledge that this issue happens in their vehicles & not just the HRV.

Registered
Our dealership told us that the water sloshing in our rear hatch door was caused by a seam seal that failed. Terribly disappointed in the way it was handled. Hopefully there will a recall based on manufacturer defect and we will be recompensated.
I鈥檓 having the same issue, I can see thatit isn鈥檛 sealed properly and unfortunately my warranty has been up for a year or two now.

Registered
Thank you this somehow confirms my initial suspicion - the rearlight gaskets - both light assy for my vehicle are giving the leaks during rain .

The car has another problem now - the CruiseControl - it no longer works above the 45KPH minimum speed . The indicator can be lit up while the car is not moving or in accessory mode . I post on new topic .

Noelmem5

Registered
I purchased my 2016 Honda HRV brand new, but in the last 2 years, I noticed water filling up inside the back hatch door after rain. I wrote Honda & was told to take it back to the dealer service manager to correct it. Supposedly, it was fixed & they also couldn't find where water was coming from, yet I still had the issue afterward. I asked about it again & was told they didn't know what else to do for it. I just found a company based in Canada called Leakpro, they are trying to expand & build up more franchises throughout the United States, but so far only have people in Alabama & North Carolina. My parents live outside of Charlotte, NC, so I contacted Leakpro when I visited. They come to your home & use dye & water to find the leak, then correct it. They guarantee the work for at least 1 year & are Honda Certified. I have read on the internet, seen people having this same issue on this forum, watched you tube videos of people showing how to fix leaks themselves, so I know the issue with Hondas, & Leakpro said they fix quite a few of these vehicles. The leak was coming from my tail lights & I am so happy it has been fixed now! I am going to attempt to turn in my invoice to Honda to see if they will reimburse me since they failed to correct the issue & also do not acknowledge that this issue happens in their vehicles & not just the HRV.
So, how did they seal it? Did they take the taillight cover off and use silicone around the gasket? I had a guy on the FB HRV forum say he replaced the O ring on the rear wiper motor which fixed his leak.

Registered
Has anyone had any water accumulation in the rear hatch door? When opening and closing the hatch we can hear water sloshing around. We pulled one of the panel clips loose and were able to drain off most of the water any ideas out there?
Yes and if yi0ou look in the spare tire well Also will have water. ~half bucket between your rear gate and the spare tire well every time it rains. I was told that the water drainage by the sunroof it is clogged. I took my Honda to a dealer, the dealer did not know what exactly was and it wanted $250.00 labor and $80 in paerts to started changing rubber seals. This was a car with 38K mi . In 45 years of buying cars THE first time THE MANUFACTURER wanted money to fix something I saw it as poor craftsmanship along with cheap parts since the car only has 38K mi and it should fix for free since it was a body defect. I traded the car last Dec before depresiated one more year. Did not want to keep a lemon. Just my observation of the situation.

Registered
Yes, I've been having this problem since the car was under warranty and now it is not and there is more water than ever. The water is sloshing around and now it is even coming out of interior vents. I made an appointment to take the car in and then went out to start the car and now it won't even start. I think they need to issue a recall for this problem because I found a lot of posts about it online. Again, this is the third time and only the first repair was covered by the warranty. I am really unhappy and afraid the water may have damaged the electrical system. I am having it towed again. This is getting ridiculous. I had another car with a hatchback for 10 years and never had this problem.

Registered
I just had this happen today for the first time on my 2016 HR-V! Is there no recall for this?
There needs to be a recall. I'm seeing post after post. I've had this issue for years now after heavy rain. They need to take responsibility. It's expensive to replace all the seals. I'm going to call Honda today.

Registered
I bought my 2016 HRV new. Since then, I have had problems with water leaking into the back hatch or lift gate after heavy rain or even a carwash. The first time I noticed it, I think the car was still under warranty. There was water in the light and I could actually hear water sloshing around inside the lift gate. It seemed like an anomaly. The service person told me they thought the water was coming in through defective seals. I have had other hatchbacks for many years and have never had seals fail or water accumulation inside of a car. This concerned me. They said they replaced some seals. They didn't think it would happen again. Narrator: But it did happen again. And this time the car was not under warranty. I paid to have the seals replaced again but I really wondered if the water might be coming in from somewhere else. I'm not a mechanic. I'm not comfortable taking my car apart or drilling holes,etc. I was very concerned that the water was damaging other interior parts of the car or causing mold or rust to grow. I still felt this was a manufacturer defect but they said it was past the warranty. I think I have less than 40k miles on the car. I have had cars with 100k miles and nothing like this. After hard rains this week, not only is there water in the lift gate but there is water coming through the interior vents in the back! I stuffed some plastic bags in the vents and put a towel in the back. The Honda service place said to bring it in. I went to start the car but now it won't start. 馃様 I am worried that the water has damaged the electrical system.

Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
The first thing you need to do is establish what is causing the water ingress and its location or locations. You can rent a Smoke Machine that may help you locate where possible leaks are. Another suggestion would be to line the rear of the interior of the hatch with tissue paper and use a pressure washer or take it to a car wash and see if that shows where the water is coming in.

Failing that, take it to a bodyshop and get them to assess it and do a report. If they find something that goes in your favour, take it back to your dealership and see what their response is. I would also raise a complaint via Honda US to make them aware, you never know, miracles can happen and they may intercede on your behalf.

You may find this thread useful;

A number of people on the UK HR-V forum have posted about water ingress in the spare wheel well, coming out of the C pillar plastic trim and it was found the rubber trim that you'll see in the first image of the thread above has a tendency to come adrift and allow water in.

I recently found out via another thread on here that at the base of the interior of the hatch are two black bungs that can be removed to allow any water trapped in the interior of the hatch to escape. Either use plastic tweezers or the flat blade of a knife wrapped in a thin cloth to prevent any damage to paint or humans to prise them off.

Cannot help you with the car not starting, however, the HR-V does not have the best battery fitted, so if the vehicle has been left unused for a few days or so, the battery may be flat.

Good luck!

41 - 60 of 87 Posts