Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a 2016 HRV which I bought brand new from a Honda dealership. This year, after it rains, there is a large water puddle inside the car on the front passenger floor bed. This has happened quite a few times. I did not leave the window open if anyone was wondering. I took it to the Honda dealer service and they basically said it was a clogged air conditioner. They apparently fixed and I paid $150 for the diagnostic and repair out of pocket though I was still in my 3 year warranty. 3 weeks later, after it rained, there is still a puddle in my car. The interior now has a foul odor due to the water damage. I take the car back to the same Honda service. It’s been over a week and a half and they never contact me to update me. I call and the mechanic says he still can’t find the source. My warranty expires in a few days.
Has anyone had this issue with the leak? I called Honda and made complaint. I don’t know what to do at this point. Please help.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
If you search there are similar posts but to driver side and it was the a/c line. Below is one link.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for responding. I forgot to mention and I was told it was the a/c line too at the Honda service. They supposedly fixed it and charged me. It rained again and it still puddles. Now the Honda service mechanic verbalized he has no idea why it’s still puddling.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hi. I have a 2016 HRV which I bought brand new from a Honda dealership. This year, after it rains, there is a large water puddle inside the car on the front passenger floor bed. This has happened quite a few times. I did not leave the window open if anyone was wondering. I took it to the Honda dealer service and they basically said it was a clogged air conditioner. They apparently fixed and I paid $150 for the diagnostic and repair out of pocket though I was still in my 3 year warranty. 3 weeks later, after it rained, there is still a puddle in my car. The interior now has a foul odor due to the water damage. I take the car back to the same Honda service. It’s been over a week and a half and they never contact me to update me. I call and the mechanic says he still can’t find the source. My warranty expires in a few days.
Has anyone had this issue with the leak? I called Honda and made complaint. I don’t know what to do at this point. Please help.
I had a similar problem with water on the driver's side floor after a heavy rain. Since my car (early 2016) was out of warranty I tried to fix it myself but could not find where the water was coming in. Seemed like somewhere up in the firewall area. So I had the windshield replaced and that seems to have solved the leak problem. The windshield installer did not see any obvious seal problems but no leaks after many weeks.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I thought I saw that the sunroof drains being clogged can cause the same issue.
That is correct. Clogged sunroof drains as well as a clogged A/C drain can cause that problem.
I have a 2016 LX so no sunroof and the problem started last spring before the A/C was used. Lots of water on the driver's side soaking the carpet. So it had to be a leak in the windshield cowl, the firewall or the windshield seal. Replacing the windshield along with a new seal seems to have fixed the problem for me. Many washings and heavy rain and no more leaks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Happened to us in June, but drivers side. 2018 HR-V EX. Apparently it's an issue with the sunroof getting blocked with likely pollen/leaves/debris, then with all the heavy rain we've been having in NYC, it drained into to cabin. At least in our case. Water was pooled on the floor and on the fabric above the driver window. Honda had to replace all the carpeting! Thankfully it was covered by the warranty because it's a known issue. My question is if it was happening before 2018 (I Googled), why wasn't it fixed, and I wonder if 2019 models have the same issue? Have them check the sunroof.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Happened to us in June, but drivers side. 2018 HR-V EX. Apparently it's an issue with the sunroof getting blocked with likely pollen/leaves, then with all the heavy rain we've been having in NYC, it drained into to cabin. At least in our case, water was pooled on the floor and on the fabric above the driver window. Honda had to replace all the carpeting! Thankfully it was covered by the warranty because it's a known issue. My question is if it was happening before 2018 (I Googled), why wasn't it fixed, and I wonder if 2019 models have the same issue?

Happened to us in June, but drivers side. 2018 HR-V EX. Apparently it's an issue with the sunroof getting blocked with likely pollen/leaves/debris, then with all the heavy rain we've been having in NYC, it drained into to cabin. At least in our case. Water was pooled on the floor and on the fabric above the driver window. Honda had to replace all the carpeting! Thankfully it was covered by the warranty because it's a known issue. My question is if it was happening before 2018 (I Googled), why wasn't it fixed, and I wonder if 2019 models have the same issue? Have them check the sunroof.
Honda replaced all your carpeting? My car smells now. I have a 2016 and Honda didn’t offer to change my carpet. Hmmm. I think I noticed the fabric seemed affected too above the front passenger window. Wish I took a pic of it. Honda finally called me and said they fixed the problem after 2 weeks and I can pick my car up. Hopefully everything is okay now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Honda replaced all your carpeting? My car smells now. I have a 2016 and Honda didn’t offer to change my carpet. Hmmm. I think I noticed the fabric seemed affected too above the front passenger window. Wish I took a pic of it. Honda finally called me and said they fixed the problem after 2 weeks and I can pick my car up. Hopefully everything is okay now.
Yes they did, but the tech didn't do a good job. Parts were missing from where they had to remove them to remove and lay the carpet down, I had to snap parts back in, etc. They still owe me parts because if they weren't missing, they were cracked and I complained! It's like you can't win.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any updates on if this is fixed? I’m having the same issue on the passenger floor and it’s been “fixed” 2 times now by the dealer but mine is still leaking.

·
Registered
2019 HR-V EX
153 Posts
Any chance that the water is coming in through the door? Feel along the bottom of the interior panel after a rain.

First gen Fits had issues with the vapor barriers inside the door panels.

Post back either way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2019 HRV and it's happened twice now. Dec 2019 and just now April 28th. I purchased brand new 1 year ago.
I'm taking it in AGAIN today to have it looked at and yes, they did tell me the first time that it was a clogged drain line by the sunroof...(mine drains into the passenger side floorboard) When I took it in in Dec. there was another HRV in there at the same time with the same issue.
I'm not happy to say the least..I live in the PNW and this isn't going to fly..going in every few months..besides this is a brand new car and should not be happening at all! I am so disappointed. I've owned many cars with sunroofs and have NEVER once had this kind of problem.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Not sure but how many drain lines are there for the sunroof? If more than one, could it be a second one? But you would think they would do all drain lines.

good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a similar problem with water on the driver's side floor after a heavy rain. Since my car (early 2016) was out of warranty I tried to fix it myself but could not find where the water was coming in. Seemed like somewhere up in the firewall area. So I had the windshield replaced and that seems to have solved the leak problem. The windshield installer did not see any obvious seal problems but no leaks after many weeks.
I had the same model from new last year started acumulating water inside the rear door and the tire well by the buckets evry time it rains. Took the car w 3 years 38K miles to honda since is a body defect to let rain water in at 3 yrs 38K miles . Honda told me that they wanted $250.00 labor and $80 parts to star changing seals to try to determine which one was leaking. I told the dealer that in 41 years buying cars this was the first time I got a car that it was leaking so muck water after 3 yrs. I refused to fix it Honda refused to fix it. This facts indicated to me that craftmanship and materials were cheap and unreliable. Since Honda did not fix it and I was not going to fix it for the principle that is a 3 yrs old car, I traded the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2019 HRV and it's happened twice now. Dec 2019 and just now April 28th. I purchased brand new 1 year ago.
I'm taking it in AGAIN today to have it looked at and yes, they did tell me the first time that it was a clogged drain line by the sunroof...(mine drains into the passenger side floorboard) When I took it in in Dec. there was another HRV in there at the same time with the same issue.
I'm not happy to say the least..I live in the PNW and this isn't going to fly..going in every few months..besides this is a brand new car and should not be happening at all! I am so disappointed. I've owned many cars with sunroofs and have NEVER once had this kind of problem.
** I called Honda directly today and opened a claim to try and get this resolved. The dealership cleaned it out again yesterday, but I can't have this happening randomly. I park outside...its not a tree issue its a design flaw issue IMO. There doesn't seem to be a permanent solution /fix for this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same model from new last year started acumulating water inside the rear door and the tire well by the buckets evry time it rains. Took the car w 3 years 38K miles to honda since is a body defect to let rain water in at 3 yrs 38K miles . Honda told me that they wanted $250.00 labor and $80 parts to star changing seals to try to determine which one was leaking. I told the dealer that in 41 years buying cars this was the first time I got a car that it was leaking so muck water after 3 yrs. I refused to fix it Honda refused to fix it. This facts indicated to me that craftmanship and materials were cheap and unreliable. Since Honda did not fix it and I was not going to fix it for the principle that is a 3 yrs old car, I traded the car.
Did you trade it for another Honda? Or something else. I am wondering how my situation is going to unfold...ugh.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Any updates on if this is fixed? I’m having the same issue on the passenger floor and it’s been “fixed” 2 times now by the dealer but mine is still leaking.
Definitely call Honda directly...the more people that do this maybe they will do something about it. Seems to be a known issue.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts