Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 3 years of trouble-free service I finally encountered my first problem with my HRV. Today I noticed a significant amount of water on the driver's side floor. I have rubber mats and there was at least 1/4 inch of water on the mat. The carpet underneath was completely soaked. We did have a torrential downpour the other day and this is the first time I drove the car since then, so that was probably the cause. I did not drive during the rain storm so the leak is likely from the windshield seal or the door seal.

Anyone else have this problem and if so, how did you solve it?
I got at least a pint of water out by using towels to soak it up.
How do I remove the carpet to dry it out? I am concerned about mold but since the temperature is around freezing it is not an immediate concern.
Car is just out of warranty (of course!).

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that link. I had already read about most of the water leak issues. Should have mentioned that mine is an LX so no sunroof. I did have clogged drain tubes on my Accord so that is one of the reasons why I avoid sunroofs. When the weather warms a bit in NY I will try some silicone around the windshield seal on the outside.
Any word about a service bulletin on this issue?
Is it difficult to remove the front carpet to dry it out properly?

·
Registered
5 Posts
After 3 years of trouble-free service I finally encountered my first problem with my HRV. Today I noticed a significant amount of water on the driver's side floor. I have rubber mats and there was at least 1/4 inch of water on the mat. The carpet underneath was completely soaked. We did have a torrential downpour the other day and this is the first time I drove the car since then, so that was probably the cause. I did not drive during the rain storm so the leak is likely from the windshield seal or the door seal.

Anyone else have this problem and if so, how did you solve it?
I got at least a pint of water out by using towels to soak it up.
How do I remove the carpet to dry it out? I am concerned about mold but since the temperature is around freezing it is not an immediate concern.
Car is just out of warranty (of course!).
i had this problem with my 2018 hrv 2 months after i bought it. i was lucky i had weathertech floor liners to catch the water. what i did was pull the carpet up at the fire wall there is a drain tube there made of rubber i pulled that tube up and
out alot of water came out of it. the rubber tube was bent . i unbent the tube and pushed it back down . never had that water leak again

·
Registered
5 Posts
i had this problem with my 2018 hrv 2 months after i bought it. i was lucky i had weathertech floor liners to catch the water. what i did was pull the carpet up at the fire wall there is a drain tube there made of rubber i pulled that tube up and
out alot of water came out of it. the rubber tube was bent . i unbent the tube and pushed it back down . never had that water leak again
the funny thing is that i had the water leak on both sides drivers and passengers floor.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had this same problem on my Accord.
Was your tube a drain from the sunroof channel or from the windshield area?
I do not have a sunroof on my HRV.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had this same problem on my Accord.
Was your tube a drain from the sunroof channel or from the windshield area?
I do not have a sunroof on my HRV.
Sol, I just had a problem of leaking water just a few months ago. The problem was very expensive and insurance had to get involved. In my case. the problem is not due to a sunroof. Look at these pictures in of my damage, the leak was coming from the WINDSHIELD seals, in my case it was a bad deal at the corner of the windshield above the driver side, where the windshield meets the roof. I highly recommend you do not take this leaking lightly, and get it checked out. I ended up loosing alot of money on this and insurance had to get involved.

It took many angry phone calls, and 1.5months to get the dealer to properly diagnose the car after being told multiple times the car was not leaking from anywhere.

See images here:

·
Registered
2017 Honda HR-V EX
3 Posts
So I have had the same issue with water leaking into the front passenger side door. I have WeatherTech mats so the rugs have been saved from being soaked. We haven't had much rain this summer & this has been a bear to track down. The moon roof drains have all been snaked out & run freely; windshield is not leaking & air conditioning drain is clear; no visible signs of any weather stripping being pinched either. Yesterday, I took out the cabin filter (behind the glove compartment) and put a towel in it's place. I also put a towel up under the dash in the passenger side & a third towel along the bottom of the passenger door. I checked several times during the all day rain storm & the dash towels were all dry. The only place that water was coming in was under the passenger door. I took it to a friend's place today ( he's a car whisperer!) as I'm really frustrated with this issue & want it fixed. He sat inside while I put the garden hose to the car & it took 15 minutes of full flow for the leak to show up. It turns out that the glue that holds vapor barrier inside the passenger side front door had failed & the water was finding it's way through the opening & inside the door instead of draining out through the weep holes. 5 minutes of gluing the barrier back in place & I'm good to go. We have another all day rain storm coming in 2 days so I'll get to see if this is the cure. Just another thing to consider if you are having water leak inside the vehicle & this is a do-it-yourself repair.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I have had the same issue with water leaking into the front passenger side door. I have WeatherTech mats so the rugs have been saved from being soaked. We haven't had much rain this summer & this has been a bear to track down. The moon roof drains have all been snaked out & run freely; windshield is not leaking & air conditioning drain is clear; no visible signs of any weather stripping being pinched either. Yesterday, I took out the cabin filter (behind the glove compartment) and put a towel in it's place. I also put a towel up under the dash in the passenger side & a third towel along the bottom of the passenger door. I checked several times during the all day rain storm & the dash towels were all dry. The only place that water was coming in was under the passenger door. I took it to a friend's place today ( he's a car whisperer!) as I'm really frustrated with this issue & want it fixed. He sat inside while I put the garden hose to the car & it took 15 minutes of full flow for the leak to show up. It turns out that the glue that holds vapor barrier inside the passenger side front door had failed & the water was finding it's way through the opening & inside the door instead of draining out through the weep holes. 5 minutes of gluing the barrier back in place & I'm good to go. We have another all day rain storm coming in 2 days so I'll get to see if this is the cure. Just another thing to consider if you are having water leak inside the vehicle & this is a do-it-yourself repair.
My eventual solution to this problem was to have the windshield replaced. Fortunately it cracked so insurance paid for it. No water leak problems since then (over a year ago). The windshield shop said they say no sign of any gasket damage but it seems to have solved the problem.

·
Registered
2017 Honda HR-V EX
3 Posts
Well, after almost 15 hours of rain, I'm happy to report that the fix worked! The car interior is bone dry. I'm very relieved to have finally solved this issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts