Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 HRV EX AWD
Obviously with the start of this whole COVID 19 pandemic I have been driving a lot less and working from home.
The last time I did have to drive I noticed some slight wetness on the front passenger floor mat, since i have the all season rubber ones it was obvious. I let it go because it didn't seem like much, but then recently I had to do a do a grocery run and notice it had puddled. I wasn't sure where it was leaking from because the lower half of the glove box was also wet.
Decided to take it into the dealership on 05.23.2020, and that morning I dropped it off it was down-pouring and the passenger side footwell was absolutely sloshing, which on one hand sucked but on the other hand they couldn't say there was not a leak. I am out of the OEM warranty since i purchased the vehicle on 12/2016 and have about 35,XXX miles but I do have the Zurich 7 years 100K extended. The manager of the service department (I go directly to him now, since I've had some bad experiences with techs and service writers) told me if it's a clogged sunroof drain Zurich would not cover that cost since it falls under maintenance but will cover anything that needs to be replaced because of it i.e carpets and liners. He said given the miles he will also try to get Honda to cover it due to COVID 19 and possible defect, if they find thats the case.
They gave me a loaner, and as of 05.25.2020 have not heard any updates. I'm hoping this won't take too long as with the pandemic I'm not keen on driving a loaner.
I know on other thread people some people simply had a clogged sunroof drain where other people had an mis-installed windshield.
This is the 2nd leak I've dealt with, the first being into the spare tire area, which was addressed and never had an issue again.
Will keep updated as I get updated so people know what to look for.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update 05/27/2020
The dealership called and stated it is a defective sunroof track. They will be replacing the sunroof track and the cars entire carpeting and padding. He stated that Honda Corp. is picking up the tab for those replacements due to the situation being deemed a manufacturing defect. I asked if the headliner was affected and if that also needed replacing he stated no.

·
Registered
19 Posts
2016 HRV EX AWD
Obviously with the start of this whole COVID 19 pandemic I have been driving a lot less and working from home.
The last time I did have to drive I noticed some slight wetness on the front passenger floor mat, since i have the all season rubber ones it was obvious. I let it go because it didn't seem like much, but then recently I had to do a do a grocery run and notice it had puddled. I wasn't sure where it was leaking from because the lower half of the glove box was also wet.
Decided to take it into the dealership on 05.23.2020, and that morning I dropped it off it was down-pouring and the passenger side footwell was absolutely sloshing, which on one hand sucked but on the other hand they couldn't say there was not a leak. I am out of the OEM warranty since i purchased the vehicle on 12/2016 and have about 35,XXX miles but I do have the Zurich 7 years 100K extended. The manager of the service department (I go directly to him now, since I've had some bad experiences with techs and service writers) told me if it's a clogged sunroof drain Zurich would not cover that cost since it falls under maintenance but will cover anything that needs to be replaced because of it i.e carpets and liners. He said given the miles he will also try to get Honda to cover it due to COVID 19 and possible defect, if they find thats the case.
They gave me a loaner, and as of 05.25.2020 have not heard any updates. I'm hoping this won't take too long as with the pandemic I'm not keen on driving a loaner.
I know on other thread people some people simply had a clogged sunroof drain where other people had an mis-installed windshield.
This is the 2nd leak I've dealt with, the first being into the spare tire area, which was addressed and never had an issue again.
Hi I just wanted to let you know that I have a 18' hrv but my daughter has a 16 hrv same trim as you and what would ya know same problem i keep telling her stop leaving window open when raining it smelled like a wet dirty sock n it got so bad it actually stem up windows from inside i checked everything couldn't find anything wrong like door not shutting right cheek all weather stripping ok to an if you didn't realize that continuing wetness causes air born type Milldew that can make you sick honda couldn't find anything either n they lied saying its a isolated incident but not i know its not never figured it out n her lease was up last month, but being they couldn't figure out there just going to clean it n back on lot ,n some poor person going to buy it and as me n you didn't know this on going problems does exist on the 16 my 18 fine my personal opinion is i think there's a flaw in firewall n its going down windshield in leaking someway in to the cabin on the same side to,,,,,, but honda won't admit they [email protected]#k up on that year like I said her lease was up and she turned in but Mark my words it coming in somewhere on pass,side firewall so if you can't have a bodyshop bodyshop being its the car body construction not a mechanic issue maybe they can find out or if u got the warranty bring to dealer n demand them to take dash apart to get back there they gotta honor the warranty even though they will say its just yr car but regardless they gotta stand by there company to rectify the issue cause it will make you sick eventually breathing in the mold spors hope this helps

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi I just wanted to let you know that I have a 18' hrv but my daughter has a 16 hrv same trim as you and what would ya know same problem i keep telling her stop leaving window open when raining it smelled like a wet dirty sock n it got so bad it actually stem up windows from inside i checked everything couldn't find anything wrong like door not shutting right cheek all weather stripping ok to an if you didn't realize that continuing wetness causes air born type Milldew that can make you sick honda couldn't find anything either n they lied saying its a isolated incident but not i know its not never figured it out n her lease was up last month, but being they couldn't figure out there just going to clean it n back on lot ,n some poor person going to buy it and as me n you didn't know this on going problems does exist on the 16 my 18 fine my personal opinion is i think there's a flaw in firewall n its going down windshield in leaking someway in to the cabin on the same side to,,,,,, but honda won't admit they [email protected]#k up on that year like I said her lease was up and she turned in but Mark my words it coming in somewhere on pass,side firewall so if you can't have a bodyshop bodyshop being its the car body construction not a mechanic issue maybe they can find out or if u got the warranty bring to dealer n demand them to take dash apart to get back there they gotta honor the warranty even though they will say its just yr car but regardless they gotta stand by there company to rectify the issue cause it will make you sick eventually breathing in the mold spors hope this helps
Hmm, well they did call me and said its the sunroof track, so they'll be replacing that and all the carpeting. But since it will be work they did, they will have to back it up if it leaks again. Now I know to keep a keen eye on it

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a leak on the drivers side floor of my 2017 EX. After giving me a loaner they said my HRV had a crack in the firewall. They fixed it and replaced the entire carpet and now no more leaks.:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
2016 HRV EX AWD
In regards to the second leak, what was the problem? My partners car had a huge puddle of water in the spare tire area and the cover was covered in mold and dampness. He also had heaps of water under the seat behind the driver. He noticed this today and the car is a 2014 model so it’s well out of warranty. He also has had an issue in the last month if the windscreen fogging up more than a car normally does in the cold.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In regards to the second leak, what was the problem? My partners car had a huge puddle of water in the spare tire area and the cover was covered in mold and dampness. He also had heaps of water under the seat behind the driver. He noticed this today and the car is a 2014 model so it’s well out of warranty. He also has had an issue in the last month if the windscreen fogging up more than a car normally does in the cold.
From what I could tell after I got the car back it seemed like they caulked or added some kind of sealant to where the bolts were in the spare tire area and trunk of the car from the inside. It seemed to have done the trick because I still check to this day and its been remaining bone dry.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Almost 3 weeks later I get my car back today
So they ended up having to change the headline and carpet and padding, along with the sunroof track. They stay by their original diagnosis of clogged sunroof drain and required a new sun roof track. I'll be on pins and needles when the next storm hits

1 - 11 of 11 Posts