Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

First time poster, just wanted to share my experience with a wet floor so we are all informed:

2016 HR-V, EXL, FWD

- Day 1: The driver side carpet felt damp, checked under it and the floor was soaked too. Felt under the steering wheel, but didn't notice any leak or liquid, or the check engine light. Put some paper towel between the floor and the carpet to absorb the moisture. Googled but couldn't find the same issue related to a HR-V, but based on other cases (CR-V, Civic, Accord). Scheduled for inspection with a local Honda dealer.

- Day 2: Checked the paper towel dripping with liquid, rubbed it with fingers and felt soapy, replaced it with new sheets for temporary solution.

- Day 3: Floor still wet, took it to the dealer for inspection. Dealer "intimidated" with $175 inspection fee, but tried to find my solace as it's still under warranty. At the end of the day, dealer called and concluded that:

"Water tested vehicle for 20 min. and did not see any water coming in, inspected AC drain and used compressed air to clear hose; a small amount of water began to drip out, drain clog was suspected so removed hose and found no obstructions. Now draining is okay, maybe possible pinch on hose."

- Day 4: Seems to start to dry up, will keep monitoring.

Summary:

1. 2016 HR-V EXL FWD, driver floor wet w/o visible damage
2. AC drain clogged, cleaned the hose and now all good.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Glad it got resolved. You might want to use a wet vac to try and suck up as much moisture as you can from the carpet. The padding underneath is like a sponge.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Water on floor...

When mine was new, we found a missing sunroof drain tube on the right side which submerged the right footwell carpet/pad-whatever.
The dealer took the entire interior out and dried the carpet/pad over a giant barn fan and used a smaller fan on the vehicle interior.

If you try to wait for it to dry while in the car, it might become mouldy and nasty.
You might ask the dealer to do a proper drying-out of yours. I didn't notice... have you used the a/c for only a short time in a new vehicle?
It takes parking under certain trees which drop certain types of debris, which normally takes a few seasons, before clogging happens.
It should be virtually impossible to clog a new, clear and clean factory drain hose installed properly.

The tube was probably installed twisted or kinked, mis-routed or interfered-with by a wiring bundle or whatever... which backed-up the condensate water which overflowed the evaporator pan/enclosure.
Condensate water is full of airborne dust, dirt, bacteria, pollutants... junk! (tobacco smoke?) a good source of 'raw materials' to help grow nasty, smelly stuff.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Original poster here, thanks for your comments.

NorCal had some abnormal rain falls past few months, that wet vac and completely drying them before any nasty builds up are very good ideas.

·
Registered
132 Posts
OK

I really don't know... haven't had my eyes or hands on the various drain tubes or location of various components.
Haven't even been under the dash yet. Getting old, I guess.

I'm assuming that there are possibly two roof drains (park on a slope, anyone?), or a condensate drain on the left.
That would do it. Would a missing or mis-fitted door vapor-barrier allow water to get onto the floor? Maybe.
Or, someone also had a bad factory sealing-job on their windshield, as I recall. You could search for that discussion.
Best of luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just encountered the SAME problem today- when running A/C full blast for my commute, and high humidity, boom I'm seeing water dripping on my all-weather floor mats. I thought it was minor and contained but then lifted the mats and there were full puddles underneath. Had a Honda tech (friend) quickly confirm the drain hose was clogged or pinched and that's what caused the build up.
Super bad news is that I took it into my dealer (Pohanka of Fredericksburg) and they're saying that it's NOT because of the A/C drain hose, it's because of a small hole in the firewall from aftermarket stereo....and they won't cover under warranty. I calmly explained that the water is produced and dripping when it's sunny and 85 degrees out, and stops dripping when A/C is turned off, so it can't be. I haven't yet shown them these pictures or the video I shot that also (albeit shaky footage, I was driving) shows it dripping from this location. Hopefully they do the right thing and fix the clog and ALSO dry the carpets under warranty. If not I'll be back posting here for help.

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
I dont get why you have a tech look at it and don't fix it.

Pull the hose, unclog it. I have owned cars for over 18 yrs and this never happened to me, but this happened to my cousin's accord last yr.

Went to his house, pulled the hose out, unclogged it and ran for the ac for 5 minutes. Problem solved.

If your friend is a tech, they would take the 7 minutes to fix the problem. 5 min running the a/c to check for problem after fixing it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just got off the phone with service department - kudos to them on being open so late and for committing to getting the carpets removed, dried and replaced. No managers available to make this right tonight, so the discussions resume tomorrow AM with the service consultant who took the ticket. To her credit she was extremely nice, and also called the problem when I dropped it off and described the symptoms (clogged A/C drain tube) - even told the tech who drove it off to specifically check that tube, probably clogged drain tube, something like that.

It's apparently a common problem with Honda, so it makes sense that they knew where to look first... what is strange is the mechanic (technician?) saying it's the tiny hole in the firewall. When there's no rain.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Need the carpets dried under warranty - need the dealer to admit it's the drain hose to commit to the warranty claim. The tech friend knows how they do things at that dealer. For instance they had a factory brand new $50k+ SUV damaged while unloading from car-carrier. Needed new body panel- they just used body filler. Who checks a brand new luxury SUV with a magnet for Bondo? No one.

Yes, simple fix for the leak, but not for the carpets. Literal puddles. And I've only had it 8 months.

·
Registered
435 Posts
It's apparently a common problem with Honda, so it makes sense that they knew where to look first... what is strange is the mechanic (technician?) saying it's the tiny hole in the firewall. When there's no rain.
I've got to ask the 20 dollar question. Why did you add a hole into your firewall for an aftermarket stereo?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I dont get why you have a tech look at it and don't fix it.

Pull the hose, unclog it. I have owned cars for over 18 yrs and this never happened to me, but this happened to my cousin's accord last yr.

Went to his house, pulled the hose out, unclogged it and ran for the ac for 5 minutes. Problem solved.

If your friend is a tech, they would take the 7 minutes to fix the problem. 5 min running the a/c to check for problem after fixing it.

But where is that hose that was pulled located???

1 - 11 of 11 Posts