Honda HR-V Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 HR-V LX AWD
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Wheathertech SunShade fits perfect everywhere except for the mirror, the hole doesn’t extend down enough. I’m going to report this to them and see what they have to say about it. I have a 2020, I wonder if the mirror is located higher on the earlier cars.
29DC2646-15F2-4366-8ADF-EC8C0498A6E5.jpeg CA3483C8-8350-4F0B-9C03-467B56D53446.jpeg E9E9D3A8-8911-48F6-95E5-9B2FDED871D0.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
1,472 Posts
The Wheathertech SunShade fits perfect everywhere except for the mirror, the hole doesn’t extend down enough. I’m going to report this to them and see what they have to say about it. I have a 2020, I wonder if the mirror is located higher on the earlier cars.
View attachment 31623 View attachment 31624 View attachment 31625
You might have to bring your sun visors down. I had one for my Honda fit and it required the sun visors to hold the sun shade.

·
Premium Member
2020 HR-V LX AWD
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It covers the entire window but not as precise as yours.
You might have to bring your sun visors down ... to hold the sun shade.
No problem with it being held in place because the fitment around the perimeter is perfect, so tight that it is held in place without a need for the sun visors to come down. It's just the problem with the aforementioned fitment around the mirror because the hole doesn't come down far enough, as stated in the original post. So, again, is the mirror mounted higher on the earlier models?

·
Registered
129 Posts
View attachment 31623 View attachment 31624 View attachment 31625
I had an OEM accessory rolled sunshade for my Mazda back in the day. The fitment was identical to your photos.

...i purchased an inexpensive sun shade for $8, shipped from amazon. It covers the entire window but not as precise as yours.

View attachment 31626
I'm a fan of the pop-up style like yours. I found mine at a dollar-plus style store for $3. It's enough to shade the steering wheel and most of the dash, and it's much easier to store. I just fold mine and jam it between the driver's seat and the center console. The accordion-style and the rolled-style have better heat rejection, but they are harder to store.

You can toss it on the back seat if you have no one riding and no items back there, otherwise it goes in the trunk. And at least for me, I am way too lazy to open the trunk, grab it, then set it up. I use the pop-up style way more often since it's much more convenient to deploy and store, and I think that's more important than having a nicer one that gets used infrequently.

·
Premium Member
2020 HR-V LX AWD
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The accordion-style and the rolled-style have better heat rejection, but they are harder to store.
The Weathertech is also black on one side, to use in the winter for heat retention. I keep mine under the back seat without any problem. I just don't like the fitment around the mirror and that was the purpose of this thread, an inquiry to others that have had experience with the Weathertech SunShade and if they had the same problem around the mirror.

·
Premium Member
2020 HR-V LX AWD
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so much for your effort, that's the reference that I was looking for to compare and mine is the same. Now that I have this information I will let Weathertech know about the fitment issue and see what they will do about it.

·
Registered
2021 Honda HRV EX
28 Posts
Thanks so much for your effort, that's the reference that I was looking for to compare and mine is the same. Now that I have this information I will let Weathertech know about the fitment issue and see what they will do about it.
I have a 2021 HRV EX and use the Weathertech sun shade. It fits perfectly- let’s a little light in around the mirror, but dramatically reduces interior heat and I’m hoping it will extend the life of the fabric and plastic, especially my display screen. Had a 2008 Fit and the sun totally destroyed the radio display after about 4 years of South Carolina sun. I didn’t use a sun shade then. Weathertech is a good company so I hope they resolve your issue.

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
315 Posts
Not sunshade specific.

When it comes to their floor mats, Weathertech bang on about using 'digital laser measurements' to offer a consistently perfect fit. However, I was disappointed with the gaps around the edges of the rear floor mats and some of the plastic trim, even after being in the vehicle for almost a year the gaps are still there.

I also find it strange that they make no provision to secure the front seat passenger mat to the floor with the securing anchor as they have done with the drivers side mat.

As an aside, I use the OEM Honda flexible cargo cover as an impromptu sunshade, as tailor made ones would block my dashcam. When not in use I fold it down and place it in the rear seat pocket.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Weathertech bang on about using 'digital laser measurements' to offer a consistently perfect fit. However, I was disappointed with the gaps around the edges of the rear floor mats and some of the plastic trim, even after being in the vehicle for almost a year the gaps are still there.
Most aftermarket accessories will have fitment issues. Aftermarket companies usually 3D scan a couple of completed vehicles, then average out the measurements in order to get the dimensions they need for a particular product.

OEMs have the blueprints to the vehicle and thus are much more likely to have well-fitting accessories. Take the late-model Toyota RAV4 rear splash guards for example. The OEM accessory has several slight curves to it and fits the slight contours of the rear wheel well liner perfectly. Most aftermarket versions ignore those slight curves and have a single curve. Still fits and functions fine, but the fitment against the wheel well isn't as perfect.

·
Registered
Brilliant Sporty Blue Honda HR-V 1.5 iVTEC SE 6 Speed Manual
315 Posts
When a company charges over $340* for a product as basic as floor mats, I expect a near perfect product!

*even though I bought it from their European website, they sent the mats from the US which made me liable for a number of taxes and charges I would not have been liable for if sent via the EU, the naughty little bar stewards!

·
Registered
2021 Honda HRV EX
28 Posts
Not sunshade specific.

When it comes to their floor mats, Weathertech bang on about using 'digital laser measurements' to offer a consistently perfect fit. However, I was disappointed with the gaps around the edges of the rear floor mats and some of the plastic trim, even after being in the vehicle for almost a year the gaps are still there.

I also find it strange that they make no provision to secure the front seat passenger mat to the floor with the securing anchor as they have done with the drivers side mat.

As an aside, I use the OEM Honda flexible cargo cover as an impromptu sunshade, as tailor made ones would block my dashcam. When not in use I fold it down and place it in the rear seat pocket.

View attachment 31631 View attachment 31632
I like the idea about the cargo cover! My rear Weathertech floor liner does fit perfectly; I can’t comment on the floor mats. My front passenger floorboard doesn’t have anchor points so I guess you would need to screw some into the flooring material if you wanted to anchor the mat. The liners are very secure and even without the driver side locks (which are pretty flimsy plastic) I doubt it would move enough to be a safety risk. But with the anchor it definitely stays put.

·
Premium Member
2020 HR-V LX AWD
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My front passenger floorboard doesn’t have anchor points ... The liners are very secure and even without the driver side locks (which are pretty flimsy plastic) I doubt it would move enough to be a safety risk. But with the anchor it definitely stays put.
The reason that cars have those anchors on the driver's side is because it's required by the NHTSA to keep the floor matt from getting under the gas pedal. Although, there are some cars that have them on both sides, probably made symmetrical during the assembly line build for all markets, it's only required on the driver's side in the USA.

·
Premium Member
2020 HR-V LX AWD
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've never known a car to have two adjustments like that on the mirror. Thanks for pointing it out to me, it solved the problem of the clearance for the sunshade.

·
Banned
87 Posts
My Mirror cutout did not go low enough either. I just extennded the cutout with a utility knife and taped the edges with duct tape. Can you do that? It seems to work fine.

·
Premium Member
2020 HR-V LX AWD
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If I were to do something like that, I would take it to a seamstress and have it done right.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts