Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Honda HR-V 2018
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my first post here. If I am posting something wrong (or at wrong place), pls tell me :) :D
Get back to the subject, flushing is a method in which the radiator is emptied to prevent the particles from building up and lining up small crevices. This avoids clogging so that the radiator can continue to work flawlessly and protect the rest of the engine parts from being heated.
If you ignore the need for a radiator flush in your vehicle, you should expect the degrading efficiency of your car (true for not only Honda HR-V but other cars). Your car will basically ask for help if there are so many sediments in the radiator that it has leaked into the rest of the engine cooling system.
Your cooling system will inevitably wear down and be forced to do its job at a barely adequate level due to an impairment. Overall, flushing is certainly one of the best car care tips that we recommend you do on your vehicle.
Not only will it keep your car running properly, but it will also save you from potentially wasting thousands of pesos to repair your radiator (or even your entire cooling system).

·
Registered
2019 and 2020 HR-V EXs
262 Posts
Honda recommends using their blue Type 2 coolant. Take a look under the cap...you will see that there is no clogging or sediment in the radiator. That stuff works really well!

They DO recommend a drain & fill of the radiator. First one should be indicated on the Maintenance Minder at around 100,000 miles (160 km). 10 years by time, if you don't drive much.

Since you don't get all the coolant out by just draining the rad, Honda recommends this service every 5 years or 80,000 km after the first change.

Don't spend more time on this than you need to!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Most modern day coolants are easily good for 100,000 miles. Of course dealerships make their profit off of many times unnecessarily routine maintenance recommendations. I let the maintenance minder do it’s job. Computers are smarter.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My trusted Honda certified lead mechanic who has been a friend for over 30 years says a complete flush of Honda coolant at 60K miles is not necessary. He recommends a radiator and reservoir drain and refill @ 30K intervals instead. I've been doing this myself in all of my cars (Honda and non-Honda) with no problems. To drain the reservoir, just leave the radiator cap closed and open the reservoir cap. The suction created by the draining will pull the reservoir empty. It takes about 5 - 6 quarts for a complete refill. The inexpensive Lisle kit (auto parts stores or Amazon) works very well in "burping" the system. The dealership sells me the fluid and takes my old fluid for disposal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts