Honda HR-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 HR-V is making a faint scraping sound from the passenger-side rear wheel. It gets faster or slower according to the car's speed and stops as soon as very light pressure is applied to the brake pedal even though the car is still moving. What would be causing that? Is the brake caliper not seated properly?

·
Registered
2019 Honda HR-V Touring CBP
581 Posts
Firstly, I’m not a mechanic.

Piggybacking off what @Jmay317 said, you should inspect the brake rotor too. Because before the wheel bearing, the caliper’s actual point of contact is the rotor.

You’ll need to make sure it’s still flat/straight and not “warped.” While it is possible to actually warp a rotor, most folks online say a similar symptom is caused by buildup on the rotor from the brake pad material. Either way, you’ll need to have it machined or replaced.

Another benefit of checking the rotor first, is that its easier to deal with.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Firstly, I’m not a mechanic.

Piggybacking off what @Jmay317 said, you should inspect the brake rotor too. Because before the wheel bearing, the caliper’s actual point of contact is the rotor.

You’ll need to make sure it’s still flat/straight and not “warped.” While it is possible to actually warp a rotor, most folks online say a similar symptom is caused by buildup on the rotor from the brake pad material. Either way, you’ll need to have it machined or replaced.

Another benefit of checking the rotor first, is that its easier to deal with.
Goobers - where you on the Fit Freak Forum?

·
Registered
2016 Honda HR-V EX FWD
84 Posts
I've been hearing this sound in my 2016 EX FWD for a month or two now and took my car in last Friday to see if it was that the brakes needed to be replaced (I'm at 85k miles and haven't replaced them yet), but apparently they still have plenty of life left in them. BUT I think they only took the thickness measurements, since they said anything more than that would require a diagnostic charge. I'm pretty sure they would've noticed gravel or other significant debris between the parts though.

The brakes still work just fine, and I'm only noticing the noise with the windows down at low speed (too much air pressure fluctuation to hear it at higher speed) and there is something to the side capable of echoing the sound back (like houses when I'm driving down an alley). I hear it on the passenger side but can't tell if it's front or rear. Also, I completed a 3,500 mile road trip shortly after it started, and I haven't felt anything weird happening with the brake pedal or feedback.

·
Registered
179 Posts
2018 HR-V is making a faint scraping sound from the passenger-side rear wheel. It gets faster or slower according to the car's speed and stops as soon as very light pressure is applied to the brake pedal even though the car is still moving. What would be causing that? Is the brake caliper not seated properly?
Not caliper, not wheel bearings. This is the warning device on all modern brake pads. A metal reed that touches the rotor when the pads are down to the last 5-25% of their life. A high thin noise. Often described as a squeak, but not that infrequently more like a scrape. It ALWAYS goes away with pressure on the pads. Let us not make this any harder than it has to be!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would agree that a check of the rear disc brake pads is required. You just have to remove the rear wheel and you can visually check the thickness of the disc brake pads.

If the rear disc brake pads are still thick then it is something else.
But if the brake pads are thin there will a screeching sound as described by @DONINAUSTIN.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I would agree that a check of the rear disc brake pads is required. You just have to remove the rear wheel and you can visually check the thickness of the disc brake pads.

If the rear disc brake pads are still thick then it is something else.
But if the brake pads are thin there will a screeching sound as described by @DONINAUSTIN.
Why do you focus on the rear pads? The front do the great bulk of the braking because static weight is significantly higher on the front wheels and with weight transfer front to rear an even higher % is done by the front brakes. Now even though the rear pads are smaller, the front usually wear out first.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Why do you focus on the rear pads? The front do the great bulk of the braking because static weight is significantly higher on the front wheels and with weight transfer front to rear an even higher % is done by the front brakes. Now even though the rear pads are smaller, the front usually wear out first.
Because the OP is hearing the noise from the rear of the vehicle.

Incidentally, it's not likely the pads making the noise, as the indicator shouldn't stop making noise when you apply the brakes... actually, it should be the opposite. It should not be making noise unless you apply the brakes.

·
Registered
65 Posts

Incidentally, it's not likely the pads making the noise, as the indicator shouldn't stop making noise when you apply the brakes... actually, it should be the opposite. It should not be making noise unless you apply the brakes.
@Goobers,
Spot on replies on both counts.
I zeroed in on the rear brake pads because that was what the OP mentioned.

And your diagnosis is also precise as I did not read properly what the OP mentioned about the noise stopping when applying the brakes.

·
Registered
2019 HRV EX CVT. 1.5 Earth Dreams. Modern Steel.
26 Posts
It could be some grit or a very small stone has got stuck on the edge of the brake pad. Try braking firmly while you are reversing. If that doesn't help take the wheel off and check the pads.

·
Registered
179 Posts
@Goobers,
Spot on replies on both counts.
I zeroed in on the rear brake pads because that was what the OP mentioned.

And your diagnosis is also precise as I did not read properly what the OP mentioned about the noise stopping when applying the brakes.

My bad, he did mention it was from the rear.

·
Registered
179 Posts

My bad in that I didn't notice it was from the rear.
Maybe it shouldn't stop when you apply the brakes but in 41 years in the automotive business and I have heard brake warning squeakers a few hundred, thousand(?) times I can tell you that that is exactly the way the warning squeakers behave. I can't recall ever hearing them only when the brakes are applied.

·
Registered
2016 Honda HR-V EX FWD
84 Posts
The community assistance here is great, but I think there's something we're missing. Here's what I know:

• I have heard the sound as described by mrblint recently in my own car, assuming I have understood the description correctly.
  • The sound is noticed when there is no pressure on the brakes and disappears when pressure is applied, and the speed of the audible cycle correlates to the speed of the car.
  • What I hear is more of a scrape than a squeak. You could achieve a similar sound by running a knife or maybe a whisk around the edge of a steel skillet (and maintaining constant contact).
  • I have driven several thousand miles since I first heard it, including city and highway, so any gravel or small rocks should have been thrown out long ago.
  • My brakes have not shown any abnormality in performance. No noticeable pedal drop, unexpected feedback, or increase in braking distance.
  • I had my brakes checked last week, and where the dealer recommends replacing parts when the pad measurement is 3mm, mine were all at 6-7mm, so it's definitely not a brake pad end-of-life warning.

·
Registered
581 Posts
The community assistance here is great, but I think there's something we're missing.
No, there's a LOT of things we're missing here. Hence why the OP needs to start diagnosing it.

We can give all the guesses we want, some might be correct, but it's still up to the OP, or the mechanic they hand it off it, to get to the issue.

—-

edit: throwing some more questions and guesses here…

Is the scraping noise constant? Brake indicator would be constant. If that stops when applying the brakes, the pads are installed wrong or otherwise wearing unevenly. When the brakes are applied, the indicator should also be pushed against the rotor, creating the noise to warn you. If it stops, it could be “pulled” away if the pad is thicker near the indicator and much thinner further away, as that would act like a “lever.”

Or more of a pulse? The faster/slower part of the OP implies to me that it’s more of a pulse. To me, that’s more likely an uneven rotor surface. Due to actual warping of the rotor or excess build up over one area.

Maybe it’s the wheel bearings and when the brakes are applied, the rotor/hub/axle gets pushed slightly to one side, moving the bearings into a position wear they’re less likely to make noise… or something.

Again, really needs hands on diagnostic.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts